California Car Seat Law

scoutingbear

Thanks in advance for the help. I am asking for help in finding wording for California Laws for infants in car seats for foster parent friends of mine who picked up the baby from a visit yesterday (5.5 months old) and the bio parents had her in a FF seat! She is a small baby too....

Anyway, I was looking up California car seat laws for them to give her documentation to give to the bio parents and all we could find was "Under 6 and under 60 lbs and in a seat that meets federal motor vehicle safety standards." So, if anyone has a more in-depth copy of the law or knows where I can find it so they can pass it on that would be terrific. Unfortunately, I don't think they care that they are going against manufacturer regulations of the seats.

ADS

natysr

And...you can thank Arnie for vetoing a much better, clearer law that would have required RFing to 1 year AND 20 pounds and to require booster use to 8 years or 4' 9".

rochelle

scoutingbear,

found a nice PDF for you. the california highway patrol here does give out citations for car seat violations :thumbsup:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/4_steps_for_kids.pdf

the Step1 says
"Babies must ride rear facing until 1 yr of age AND at least 20lbs."

so the small baby have to weigh more than 20lbs at 1yr of age to be forward facing.

natsyr,

unless people dont use US 101, I-5, they can get citated by the CHP.

scoutingbear

THANK YOU!!! That PDF is perfect (especially since it shows that she can get fined for having the baby ff). Everything I have is more geared to ERF which we will address later...need to have her safe NOW.

natysr

natsyr,

unless people dont use US 101, I-5, they can get citated by the CHP.

They already can get cited by any agency no matter which road they are on (not just CHP) as the law states that the seat must be properly used and there isn't a seat on the US market that states that it is okay to FF a child under one year and 20 pounds.

The CHP's statement is an interpretation in the law to make it easier for parents.

I would like the law itself to be more clear. (as it would have been if it wasn't for Arnie. :thumbsdown:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC