Frontier.... tell me what you think of it.

tl01

I want to know all the downsides of this seat. It is likely that we will be getting one so I want to know what you don't like about it. Pluses are good too:) I installed it in my outboard position today and it installed like a dream with the short belt path. Didn't try the LBP. Any downside to using the short belt path? Less safe?

Anyone know how long the sale will be going on?

Updated with photos of install.

Last edited:
ADS

munchkin

My biggest issue, the cover. I only use mine for a week or so every month or so. It isn't really showing any wear, but something got underneath the mesh and I was trying to get it out and almost ripped it :(. I wish they had the Sahara fabric in different colors. I also wish the cupholders were better, but whatever. The straps are noticeably thinner, but they really don't bother me.
Other than that, I love the install, the shape, the size, the great sleeping ability (M's head doesn't slump and it supports her well). I LOVE the depth of the seat and the crotch strap distance, M will fit in it forever!

I think I read May 9th for the sale :confused:.

WhatAboutPuppy

Absolutely nothing less safe about short belt path! If your install is solid then GO FOR IT! My problem with short belt was the length of the buckle stalk. And personally, I've even figured out how to make long belt path work quite quickly!
I love that you don't have to uninstall it to adjust the harness height (I take the top tether off and wiggle my hand back to adjust... Judi and I figured out if you shove up really hard you don't even need to use the handle on the back).
We don't have any velcro shoes, I've had our seats for 4 months and I've yet to find a snag on them... two Red Rocks.
I've never used LATCH. I love that the armrests flip up and down but they're so flimsy and even flipped up they're still kinda in the way.
Also as the head rest moves up I've notices it's VERY stable. Judi (again) pointed out that the BLVD is not in comparison as sturdy.

tl01

DS is currently in a TF and I love how it really surrounds him. I wonder if he'll notice that this seat is much more open. Hopefully he'll think it is just as comfy. I think I'll order the Red Rock.

The seat I saw at the store today seemed like it was black with grey. Does that exist? I don't see it at the online vendors I'm considering.

WhatAboutPuppy

I'm sure you've seen real life pictures already on here or somewhere... but here's another:
l_1d6b051bdf554e848a1f74f0183d2c8c.jpg

yeah, it's a really comfy seat! lol

l_7c3b46bcc0184e21aff2e67332d8c177.jpg

tl01

Thanks for the sleeping pics. It does make me feel better to see those b/c I do worry about DS sleeping well on our trips to my family's house.

Rochelle,
Thanks for the info on the seat color. Too bad elitecarseats.com doesn't have it as a choice. I might order from them for the return shipping insurance.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oooh, what car did you get it installed with the SBP in? Lucky!
We love ours, the girls fight over it (too bad I can't make it go from booster to harnessed really easily :/)... Here's Leah sleeping in it, you can also see the little brown felt furniture foot dot I stuck to the harness when I found our straps were really twisty and the buckles fell down a lot, I stuck it on as a last resort and it's worked well http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Frontier#5289064252201740802

natysr

We've only used ours for less than 3 days. But yesterday, we were in and out of the car alot.

My cover has not snagged yet.

My straps have not twisted yet.

I've not lost the buckes yet.

The fabric does seem alot cheaper than the marathons we are used to. Especially on the belly pad and harness covers (although Jordan hated the marathon harness covers, but hasn't had a problem with the frontier ones.

Maybe we aren't having problems with straps twising yet, because Jordan is relatively small, and the headrest is still adjusted fairly low in his seat...therefore there is not as much harness length to twist.

He fell asleep in it last night and slept very well and had no headslump.

tl01

Oooh, what car did you get it installed with the SBP in? Lucky!
We love ours, the girls fight over it (too bad I can't make it go from booster to harnessed really easily :/)... Here's Leah sleeping in it, you can also see the little brown felt furniture foot dot I stuck to the harness when I found our straps were really twisty and the buckles fell down a lot, I stuck it on as a last resort and it's worked well http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Frontier#5289064252201740802

I installed it outboard in a 2009 Mercedes Benz ML350. It only took about 1 minute. The only struggle was getting the buckle in b/c I had my TF in the middle and didn't want to uninstall it. I could see getting a Frontier on each side of the TF in the middle for an interesting 3 across. I wonder if if would have worked w/ the TF RFing?

tl01

So I am attaching three pics of two installs I did with the Frontier. While it was rock solid with the SPB I did have a possible problem with how much the seat sticks off the vehicle seat bottom. The first two pics are before I shoved the Frontier into the vehicle seat with all of my strength. The last pic is after I did that. Both times the seat was rock solid w/ tether. I know the seat is supposed to have 80% of the bottom on the vehicle seat but in the first pic I think it is cutting it close. What do you think? I'm thinking it could be an issue b/c of how the bottom part flip into place for harness mode.

P.S. I know my car is dirty. That's my TF installed next to it. I was surprised they fit together to well.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That third picture looks ok, to me, is that how it is now?

Yeah, it fits like a dream next to a Roundabout, it's surprisingly svelte, lol.

tl01

That third picture looks ok, to me, is that how it is now?

Yeah, it fits like a dream next to a Roundabout, it's surprisingly svelte, lol.

It is surprisingly svelte... especially considering it was next to a TF... not the skinniest seat on the block:)

That is how I would install it if I owned it... but I'm going to order it online to avoid paying the tax... since ours is up to about 9%:) I'm thinking that the reason it sticks off so much on that side is b/c the seat curves a bit on the edge. I should have looked at how it was on the other side. Does that make sense?

MOM25BOYS

Both of my Frontiers stick out about that much on my 2nd and 3rd row seats.;) I think like tl01 said it may have to do with the flip base on it. I agree with Jools that the 3rd pic looks like a good install. In the 1st it looks to be a little more sticking out. I have to lean into the seat with my knees against the front and I pull on both LATCH straps at the same time so that the seat sits far enough in my suv seat without too much hang over.:whistle: I agree with how easy it install with either SBP or LBP.:)

ETA: Found a couple of pics of how they fit on my seats for you.

DSCN0588-1.jpg

DSCN0586-1.jpg

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC