RAV4 or CR-V: 3 seats across?

smurf

I am looking to buy either of these 2 small SUVs (2007 versions). Before I lug my carseats to the dealer, can anyone tell me if I can fit 3 seats across? My 3 seats are 2 FF Radians and a Graco Snugride for awhile, and later ideally a RF Britax Marathon (which I don't own yet).

Your feedback would save me a lot of hassle.

I know few of you own 2007 cars, but the RAV4 hasn't changed in the last few years, and the new CR-V is a bit wider than the previous version, I think. So if any 3 seat combination worked in a 2006 edition or older, it should fit the 2007 version, right?

TIA!

ADS

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
The center seat belt on the new Rav-4 is very, very difficult to install car seats with, and I seriously doubt you'd be able to get a Radian or Marathon in properly. It has a very long buckle stalk and the other lower anchor for it is in the middle of the driver's side passenger seat. I'd strongly recommend that you take a look at this before you buy.

I haven't had any 2007 CR-Vs, but if they're anything like the previous generation, they're difficult too. The center seat belt was very far forward of the bight and the position was very narrow, and it's just really, really hard to get seats installed properly in there. From the pictures on Honda's website the 2007 model looks better, but I can't tell how floppy that buckle is.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You might look into the Ford Escape: here's a picture of my '05 hybrid with Britax Wizard RF / Boulevard FF / Parkway (7 year old could buckle herself) -- all installed surprisingly easy....
ThreeAcross-FordEscape.jpg

~30 MPG with AWD, too! :cool:
*SIGH* I miss it :p

smurf

I only had a look at the CR-V so far and there's a Latch connector for the center position, so I guess the best install would be belt - latch - belt. I've installed several seats with a belt and I'm fairly confortable with that. Right now the 2 Radians are in my VW with a belt install and they're rock solid.

What you're saying about the Rav4 worries me, I'll have to go + have a look at the center belt (next week).

I wonder how dealers will react when they see me and my 3 seats come for a tryout... "hey, look at the crazy pregnant lady!"

Any other feedback is welcome!

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
The latch connector for the center on the CR-V is most likely just a top tether anchor, which is just an extra anchorage for the top of the car seat. It doesn't take the place of the seat belt or an installation with the lower LATCH anchors. I checked Honda's website for the LATCH positions in the hope that Honda has wised up a bit and put one in the center, but no dice. The lower LATCH anchors are only on the outboard positions. Honda doesn't approve using the innermost anchors for a center installation.

The CR-V back seat doesn't look *bad,* but it would make me break a sweat, especially with a Britax.

smurf

Actually I saw 5 Latch anchors on the new CRV, 2 for each outboard positions and one to fit a seat in the center with the inner anchor on the passenger side (does this make sanse?). There were definitely 5 anchors. So I would fit the center seat with latch and the 2 outboard seats with the seat belt, provided the back seat is wide enough to accomodate 3 seats.

Sort of looks like this:

L_______L______L__L_______L

L: Latch anchor

so you can fit either the 2 outboard seats with Latch, or just the middle seat.

I don't know about the Rav4.
I don't know if the Canadian CR-V is exactly the same as the US version. I think there are minor differences, besides the speedometer in kilometers per hour.

Amaris

We looked at the new rav-4 but I didn't think to look at the latch connectors. We were going to go back with the seats when the boys got back from the grandparents but we decided to stick with our odyssey a bit longer. I can tell you that the rav-4 is available with a 3rd row seat, which actually looked usable!! Most of the smaller suv's we had looked at with a 3rd row seat were laughable. The rav-4 3rd row is only an option though, and I'm not sure what package you have to buy to get it. We were looking at the limited.

vatechgrad

I have an 06 rav4 and it was a complete redesign from the 05. The 07 is similar with more standard features (side curtain airbags were optional in 06 adn standard in 07). I install my regent in the middle using the belt but I could never get my smaller seat in the center. I took the piece for the belt that was in the center of seat behind driver out of the fabric loop so I could slid it over some toward the center. It only works on regent because of wide seat to cover wide belt path and long belt path to make up for long stalk in center. It also slides regent a little off center to get a tight install. Which works out nice because an adult can still ride on passenger side while drivers side seat is too small for anyone to sit there. That being said I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my rav but I only have 1 child so its easier for me.

Janet

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I just had a '07 CR-V last week at our fitting station. The way the LATCH is set up you have to cross over.

EX: BB=Belt Buckle
L______L____L_BB_L______L

For the center you use the bold L's which put's the center car seat over the driver outboard belt buckle. You would have to use seatbelt installations for both center & driver outboard. I will say it was almost impossible getting a tight fit with the Graco Snugride in the center. The parents didn't want to use LATCH since it took up both center & driver outboard positions. Which only left 1 free spot in the 2nd row for passengers. While not an issue for this family as this was their 1st child but with you having 3 I don't think this vehicle would be ideal with your seat combination.

Have a look at the Saturn VUE. It has LATCH in all 3 rear seating positions.

Last edited:

smurf

Thanks for the info. I was having second thoughts about the whole SUV thing anyway (rollover, handling, etc.) but at some point I will bring my seats (and my seven month belly!) to the dealer at some point to give it a try, if I can sum up the energy!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC