Do you have an extra seat set up in your car?

frugalmom

Do you have an extra carseat installed in your car for carpooling or taking other kids in your car?

I just ran into a situation this morning where I wish I would have had one.
Do you have a seat set up like this in your car?
What seat do you have for this?

I like the Blvd the way it adjusts with the knob so that it would be really easy to have it for different sized kids. Are there other seats that adjust like that?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I keep my DN's Nautilus in my car all the time. It could be used for any kiddo who fits in it. :)

At home, I have a Boulevard, an Avenue, a Scenera, a Vivo, a Via, and a Snugride. :eek:

Maedze

Yes, we have an extra Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster in the car. Just because of the 4 different seats that are in the car currently, pretty much any child, regardless of age or weight, could be safely restrained in a pinch.

Ali

I used to have a spare harnessed seat in my car for the occasional pick up of a friend's DD from daycare or when I had a different friend's DD.

I gave our MAs to a friend, so now I have a spare turbobooster in my car. DD rides in the turbo and friend rides in the GN. This is a very rare occurence lately.

Pixels

I don't. I don't have any other kids who I would ever transport, and DD's not old enough to have friends over yet, at least not without a parent. When my nephew is in town, we can't all fit in one vehicle anyway, so we still don't put two seats in one car.

The Boulevard takes a lot of twisting to change the harness height. The EFTA and TrueFit also have no-rethread harnesses, that I think are a lot easier to adjust for a different kid quickly.

AtTheSouthDam

I do, but only because DD1 is booster training and we have swapped seats while doing errands before. She is getting a hang of the rules but stills get really wiggly when playing with DD2 and forgets. It also came in handy when DD2 threw up in the car (and we realized she really is too small for the Regent even if she does meet the minimums).
Normally I keep the spare at home. I have yet to need the spare at a moments notice. If I am likely to be transporting another child I put it in the car. And I prefer the traditional threading type harness, they are easier on my wrist to adjust from the extremes for different children.

emandbri

I don't but I was thinking of keeping the back of the monterey in the van now that Elizabeth is wearing underwear. That way if I had to I could put Benjamin in the monterey and Elizabeth in Benjamin's radian. Daniel has been using it backless and I don't want Benjamin in it without the back.

U

Unregistered1

I'm obsessive about having a seat in my car for any child. As a result, I'm driving around with A's nautilus and a RF scenera installed, with a Cosco High Back and a Graco high back Turbobooster in the trunk. I did have the Boulevard in there RF but I've been playing around with three across so it's the scenera right now. I work in daycare and have a lot of friends with kids so I just never know when I might need to transport an extra kid.

NannyMom

I don't. All my extras are in the closet. But.... when BabyS goves to a convertible, I think I'll put her in the TF and put sofi in a RadianXT or the MR65. Then I can use the TF for others when I don't have BabyS (ie- my friend's DD).

melniemi

No. I don't have any extra seats and my van is full of my own kids. If I were to go somewhere with someone else and their kids, I'd be leaving some of my kids home with dad and installing my friend's seats for her kids.

I have never run into a situation where I needed to take another child in my car that wasn't planned for.

Qarin

I have friends who sometimes take the bus to places, and have had occassion to offer to drive them home or to their next destination, so I got a high-back Turbobooster to keep in the car for such occassions- between the Wizard, Nautilus, and the booster which can have its back or not, we're pretty well covered for taking on one additional child, whatever its size (past tiny newborn, anyway). We've found it useful to have the booster there lately, for beginning to booster-train my 4.5yo DD (who is adamant that she knows how to "sit right, and not move," and so far has done VERY well for very short trips).

Mommy090804

Yes, we do.

Since we rely on others to transport DD occasionally, it is nice to be able to return the favour. In our Ford Focus wagon we have three harnessed seats installed. Graco UltraCargo (FFing harnessed), Radian (RFing-third slots) and FFing Scenera. It is a nice combination. DD usually rides in the UltraCargo and DS usually rides in the Radian. I can switch them around depending who we have to transport. If it is a little kid (smaller than DS), then I will put DS FFing in the Scenera. If it is a big kid (bigger than DD), then s/he will be harnessed in the UltraCargo. If it is a middle-sized kid, then the Scenera works fine. No boosters here yet.

I checked DD in the Scenera yesterday, and she is just AT the top harness slots. Not too bad for 4y9m and 37lbs.

No room for 3 across in a Civic though. I think our next vehicle will likely be a 6/7/8 passenger car/van/SUV.

TerisBoys

Sort of.

I always have the backless Nania Dreamway in the hatch when William isn't home. Ryan's in the Vivo, and the Nautilus is on the porch waiting to be reinstalled.

I wouldn't be transporting other kids without enough warning to stop and grab the Nauti if it was needed though.

MustangMama

I have a booster in the trunk so whenever Sam's friends come with us their mom doesn't have to take out the seat and put it back in later. It's just easier on them.

I put Sam in the booster and put their child in her Nautilus.

christineka

I have an extra installed seat and one in the back, but not really for car pooling. Well, I could easily take an adult if needed. I put ds in the middle row because it is easier, but if an adult needed a ride I could easily uninstall the middle seat and put ds in the back. The adult better be strong enough to put the headrest back in! I have an uninstalled seat in the back that should go in that middle seat, but I have a different one there for right now. I just wanted to see if I could get the scenera installed with a 45 degree recline for a newborn and I haven't gotten around to putting it back in dh's car. Any kid who wants a ride needs to clear it with me ahead of time so that I have the spare booster out of dh's car.

2BunniesMommy

We have a Safeguard GO. We had it in the trunk for awhile and it would work for a couple of my nieces and for DD's friend. Right now it is in Grammy's car for when DD1 goes out with her. It is a nice seat for others to use though. Very small and comes in its own bag, took up very little space in our car's trunk. Install pretty easy with LATCH, I have not and wouldn't want to try a belt install. It does require top tether no matter what. It is very easy to adjust the harness, just slide it up, put the child in, and slide it to just above the shoulders.

mykidsmylife

I have 2 built-in seats so I would use those. If in a situation and I needed to rear-face someones baby under 1 then I would put Seth in the built in as a temp.
So yes I have x-tra seats. :)

I have the RideSafer Travel Vest - since any 'extra' kids I give rides to are 1st graders like my DD's, or older, this works great. I bought it partly b/c of the times last year when it would've been good if I had some way to give other K classmates a ride, and the RSTV is perfect for us b/c my car is a '97 Honda Civic sedan that has a lap belt in the center, and the vest fits fine between my DDs' HBB's and can just stay top-tethered and buckled in place when not in use, takes up hardly any room at all.:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC