Question name first, then initials

Simplysomething

This probably could go upstairs, but i figured I'd try down here.

I noticed in a couple of threads upstairs, someone asking about a child restraint using accepted C-S.org initials, throughout their post and thread.

Later on in the thread, someone asked what they stood for (if I recall correctly, it was the FPSVD, so they were told Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe). It's also done for organizations, I've seen Safe Kids only referred to as SK and The Kyle David Miller Foundation only as KDMF, and while WE know what they mean a parent new to the forums probably will not.

I know I was taught...er back in school, that when you use initials--that you should use the full name first, so that people know what you're talking about. I think sometimes, here, we forget that not everyone reading the upstairs advice forums are geeks like us, therefore the abbreviations we use so often are confusing.

While there is a lovely thread (buried down in the news and articles subforum)that explains common abbreviations, I still think we should name the seat or organization the first time it is used in a thread, upstairs at least, to not further confuse parents.

And for the record, I note that many of you already do that. :)

What do you think?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Good reminder :thumbsup:

I remember my own early days being utterly confused by an alphabet soup of new letters (oh, wait, that was 2 days ago when someone only named the initials for a European seat she wants :eek:)
:)

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I think it's a great idea, and I do try to remember it when replying to new posters. I can just imagine the confusion when a new person sees things like RF, FF, MA, FPSVD, EFTA, etc. in their replies, with no explanation whatsoever.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Phew! I was worried that I had used only initials in my post from earlier, but I just went and checked. I did use SafeSeat1 before I used SS1.

I should have written it Safeseat1 (SS1), but I am far from perfect. :p

Jennifer mom to my 7

Good reminder :thumbsup:

I remember my own early days being utterly confused by an alphabet soup of new letters (oh, wait, that was 2 days ago when someone only named the initials for a European seat she wants :eek:)
:)

You mean MT?:p
I have a hard time writing the initials at all. Plus, I like to go around spelling decathlon correctly:whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I do try to spell things out at least once except when the OP has abbreviations already in them. Well, and I'll still say things like LOL or IMO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC