Cessna Personal Plane and my DD

fyrfightermomma

My DD will be going in my FIL's plane this summer (while I am heavily medicated on the ground crying in the corner...yes I hate flying)

It is a 1970-80's Cessna 4 seater plane. I'm not sure the model.

Can any FAA seat go in it? What kind of belts are there? What else should I know?? Any idea what seat would be best with just the lapbelt and no tether? I have a MA, Radian, Young Sport, and 2 GN's.

Thanks!

ADS

Pixels

LuvMyCharlie's dad has a Cessna and her son has ridden in it. She might be able to give you some info, so send her a PM if she doesn't chime in here.

skipspin

Usually they do have just an "airplane" style lap-belt in the back.
Any car seat that has a "approved for aircraft" sticker (or says that on the sticker) is techincally allowed, but there is no one regulating what seat you bring, so really you just want a seat that fits the child and the seat and belt.

I know RNs work really well in most planes. A MA would too, but may be a bit tall in the back seat- DD rode in her WZ in a Cessna with no problems. I haven't played with a GN, so no direct experience there. Just keep in mind that a lot of time the seatbelt buckle ends up in the center of the car seat, so some harnessed boosters don't work well since the buckle pokes through the cover.

LuvMyCharlie

All of those should fit, though I haven't tried a GN or YS in there. The belts are lap belts. Depending on how many his plane seats, you may need to put her up front. In any case, I'd take the lowest profile seat i.e. the Radian. It's a small plane. It's cramped as it is and you don't want a monster carseat taking up precious space. I think the Radian is your best option. Past that, I'd probably try the GN. Happy flying!

ETA: Drrr...I just read you said it's a 4-seater. Any of those should be okay, but I'd probably skip the MA. Sits too high up.

PS-Pixels, you remember everything! I think I've only mentioned the Cessna ONCE here. :p

LEAW

Yep, we took my dd up in a few different Cessnas in her Wizard, let her go FF too, which was a BIG deal for her ;)

It has regular airline belts with the big buckle with the flap release thing. Turning the buckle over half a twist like you would on any airplane seat is always a good idea.

The front seats have lap/shoulder belts, but because of the proximity of the yoke to where toddler feet are, it was a bad idea to let her fly up front. She had a better view from the back, the windows are a little lower in relation to the seats in the 2nd row.

Also, seat height means nothing to the pilot, there is no rear view mirror to worry about. I'd pick the Britax seat over the Radian so she can see out better. It's also really noisy in the little planes. We had an ear protector headset for her to wear, though it didn't work well with the headrest of the Wiz. We opted NOT to give her a plane headset (mic/speakers) because we didn't need her talking to the controllers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC