LATCH vent

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Does anyone else hate the fact that LATCH must be PERMANENTLY attached to carseats? I do!

On DS's first seat, a Designer 22, the LATCH strap was simply held on with a little screw. You could easily undo it and put the LATCH belt away (especially nice on that seat, since it had no on-board storage that I was aware of.) On many of the seats we've owned since, the LATCH connectors haven't been too annoying, but I find it awful on the Nautilus. I'm not too impressed with it on my sisters' SS1s either (interestingly, both seats with only ONE belt path.) I don't like how the LATCH belts get "involved" in a seat belt install.

If the freakin' harnesses, which are way more integral to the safety of the seat, don't have to be permanently attached, why do the stupid LATCH straps have to be?

/vent :eek:

ADS

Evolily

Because someone would take off the strap and do a crazy DIY job with it :eek:

With the GN the lower anchors strap can't be tight when installing it with a seat belt- it has to be pretty loose or else it majorly messes up the seat belt install (pulls the belt UP).

unityco

Because someone would take off the strap and do a crazy DIY job with it :eek:

But if the strap was off, what kind of crazy DIY job would they do - could it be worse than using LATCH and the belt at the same time? Maybe if the strap was removable, less people would feel compelled to use both. :) The "it might get lost" argument doesn't sell me either. Since all seats must be able to be installed with just a seat belt, *I* consider the LATCH belt optional equipment. :cool:

The loose LATCH when not in use is one of the things that bother me on my Nautilus... my install is not nice and neat when I'm done - I've got LATCH belts hanging out all over. :eek:

vonfirmath

Hrms. I never had problems with LATCH on my SAfeseat getting in the way, and all we ever used was the Seatbelt. It was so easy that we never even tried the other.

Maedze

The LATCH strap on the Nauti and SafeSeat never bothered me.

And no, I think having them be 'removeable' is a terrible idea. Things do get lost, and yes, it is a problem. Especially with modern seatbelts, which are great fits for adult riders but not so good for CRSes, sometimes LATCH is the only way to install a child restraint. Missing LATCH straps will just lead to misuse or nonuse.

Pixels

Also, if the LATCH belts were removeable, people would (intentionally, or not) play musical LATCH straps with them. Different CRSs have different weight limits, plus you have the expiration factor. If the belt isn't with the correct seat, you don't know when it expires.

unityco

Also, if the LATCH belts were removeable, people would (intentionally, or not) play musical LATCH straps with them. Different CRSs have different weight limits, plus you have the expiration factor. If the belt isn't with the correct seat, you don't know when it expires.

But really, how does that differ from having removable harnesses? We've heard stories from checks where seats come in with harnesses that don't belong yet it's not mandated that harnesses have to be permanent. I'm not saying it should necessarily be easy or simple to remove LATCH, but *I* would like it if it were at least an option.

daniele_ut

I have the Nautilus installed in dh's Subaru with the seatbelt and the LATCH belt is attached to the storage hooks up near the shoulders of the seat and it stays out of the way and doesn't rattle at all. Since I've already misplaced the belt guide and harness pads for it, it's probably best for me that the LATCH belt is attached, lol!

Maedze

But really, how does that differ from having removable harnesses? We've heard stories from checks where seats come in with harnesses that don't belong yet it's not mandated that harnesses have to be permanent. I'm not saying it should necessarily be easy or simple to remove LATCH, but *I* would like it if it were at least an option.

I am pretty comfortable hypothesizing that a removeable LATCH strap is MUCH more likely to abused/lost/damaged/replaced with something inappropriate than a removeable harness is.

If it's your seat, and you don't intend to ever use it for anyone else, meh, cut it out. But I would never recommend that to everyone and I would certainly never want to see them become easily removeable.

unityco

I am pretty comfortable hypothesizing that a removeable LATCH strap is MUCH more likely to abused/lost/damaged/replaced with something inappropriate than a removeable harness is... I would certainly never want to see [LATCH] become easily removeable.

Obviously, those in charge are of a similar mindset as you on this matter, and I don't think that mindset is going to change, but a girl can dream, can't she, lol :p I understand the KISS principal, but I've never particularly enjoyed it (in any area. ;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC