What comments have you heard about your ERFers

twinsmom

I've seen a few posts on this site mentioning comments (mostly negative) that members have received about ERFing their child. Just wondering what kind of comments other have heard.

I haven't heard anything negative so far (at least not to my face:whistle:), but my kids are fairly new ERFers.

ADS

NannyMom

No one has said anything to me. And I often try to keep the van door open as long as I can when buckling Sofi so people can see a 'big kid' RF :whistle: When I tell new parents about ERF, I comment that my DD will likely RF until 4 or 5 because she's petite. And I get a surprised "really?", but that's it. Not like they think I'm crazy, but like they'd never considered that.

We'll see what happens when she starts preschool in the fall.

Ali

When DD was still RF, a woman at IKEA with a younger child, approached me and said, "You know you can turn her around now?!"

I simply said RF was safer and she just walked off.

xxluckychicxx

From a girl at my school about DD when she was exactly 12 months "She's still backwards?!?! You're a retard!" :eek::confused::mad:

No you, my friend, are dumb for having your 11 month old FFing :rolleyes:

nevaehsmommy

OATS driver started to install my seat today FFing. I said "oh no, dd is still RFing." She was like oh really, I thought it was one year and 20 pounds so I told her about the AAP and 2/30pounds. SO as I was installing the seat I deteremined I was going to need the noodle. So ran in the house and got that which led to more questions. She was never rude and by the time we were coming back home she was asking for websites to refer her daughter to. Aparently her grandbaby is 13 months old, still RFing only bc he is a light weight. I thought it was a good day.

Mom swears DD legs must hurt but has never tried to get me to turn her around.

fyrfightermomma

Someone called the cops on me a year ago when my teeny tiny daughter was just 2 and 22 lbs :)

I was breaking the law according to her

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Just lots of "wow well MY kid would never fit/would be too squished/would scream and cry and hate it." A friend insisted her kid screamed so much RF'ing that she turned her, but I had ridden with her dozens of times and never heard a peep :confused:.

hboo22

When I tell people about ERF (I do nails, and do alot of small talking :D ) most just say "where do her legs go?!?" I have also had a few people tell me they think I'm paranoid. Whatever, if we get into a crash I know she is 5x safer!! I'm just waiting for someone to ask me now since I turned her back rfing (she's 3) so I can tell them about the new AAP recommendations!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
In the 2+ years that DD has been RF past 1/20 (I don't really think of it as ERF, just RF :p), I think I've had ONE person comment on it when seeing her. That was one of the teachers at DS's school a couple of weeks ago. We were in the pickup lane with the window down, she was assisting in the line, and asked me about it. I explained that it was safer, etc. and told her to make sure she keeps her 5MO DD rear-facing as long as she could. She was very nice and seemed receptive. :thumbsup:

I wish more people would ask me about it. :p

Maedze

A long time ago I wrote an online article for a well known magazine's website. One day the article featured a close up shot of my first two Beans...the elder at 20 months rearfacing in a Wizard and the baby at roughly 5 or 6 months in a Boulevard (also rearfacing). The shot was a zoom in and you really couldn't see the seats in relation to the car.

IIRC, I got close to a dozen frantic letters from readers telling me quick like a bunny, to turn the baby back rearfacing, she was too little to be forward facing! ROFL...it was really funny.

libranbutterfly

I have had a few people tell me I was a nutcase. Mostly family. I also would leave the door open on that side of the van as long as possible to try to get people to ask about it.

2BunniesMommy

"Poor baby" "That can't be comfortable" "How can she see anything?" All of this from SIL. I explained that it was safer and she said she had heard it wasn't. Showed her the crash test video and she still didn't think it was important. I hope her almost 2 year old is still rearfacing and plan to check next month when we go visit. I don't know how big she is now, but at 16mo she was only 14 lbs and tiny last time I saw her at Chritmas (19mo) but didn't ask how much she weighed then but I am sure she is not 20lbs yet.

Sorry, way more info than you asked for.

skylinphoto

My grandparents are king of negative comments about carseat safety.
First, they don't see why my 3 year old is still in a carseat at all. :eek:

They comment on how he can't see anything. How he must be uncomfortable. How he must be smashed and unhappy.
Once they said "dont worry. as soon as he can talk he'll let you know how uncomfy he is" (my son has speech apraxia and low oral tone..so, at just 3 years old, he's not at all a good talker).

The BEST one from them was this..while in the car with my grandmother... Grandmother: "wow! he's so quiet back there!..is he sleeping?" Me: "no. he's always pretty good in the car". Grandmother: "i guess he's so quiet because there's nothing to see back there. he has nothing to talk about. he sounds pretty bored."
Way to take a compliment and turn it COMPLETELY around. Yeah! He's good in the car, therefore I'm making a mistake by RFing him!

natysr

"Are you going to keep him like that until he goes to college?"

"No wonder he's so small, there is no room for his legs to grow."

"Dude, Your kid is going to start walking backwards too."

(dad explaining to his 5 year old) "He sits that way because he is still small enough and he is safer that way. You used to sit like that when you were small too." :thumbsup:

(on an airplane just 3 months ago) "Is he a lap baby, or did you buy that seat" :rolleyes:

"When are you going turn him around so he can see?"

"How old is he?"

"He looks comfy!"

fyrfightermomma

Holy cow!:eek:

The police officer was quite confused when he came. I'm sure he had no clue you could RF that long but at the same time was expecting some one who wasn't restraining their child at all. He was speechless and kept saying "uh uh uh....I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing about this". Needless to say I didn't get a ticket

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We were by no means ERF (DS would have been somewhere around 7/8mo) but we were at a family party at DH's cousin's new house, and they came out to our car to see us off. (DH is the youngest by far of his cousins - most of their children were college-aged at the time.) Firstly, they were confused by DS's RF seat, and when I explained that legally all babies MUST RF 'til AT LEAST 1yo he looked at me cockeyed. DS kicked a bit as I buckled him in and the cousin said, "he's telling you it's time to turn him around." :eek:

(Of course, this guy's an engineer, so he knows better than everyone else. :rolleyes:)

My dad was also quite against RF (and again, we're not even talking ERF.) He had all the usual negative comments: can't see; uncomfortable; they'll get carsick; etc.. Strangely, he never made comments about his legs (but they were still pretty short at the point we had to turn him.) At one point when he was arguing that DS would WANT to FF, I told him that DS had no idea what FF was as he had never ridden than way. How could he want what he didn't know was possible? Still didn't convince him. :shrug-shoulders:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The only comment I've ever gotten was during the period right before dd turned 4 when I let her ride rf'ing in the TF. My mom asked her "aren't you uncomfortable like that?" as we were packing up to go home from camping, and dd said "nope, I like riding like this." :p

She hasn't said a word about ds. And really, she's overall very supportive and good about carseat safety. She kept my 11yr old bio dd in an evenflo Chase harness until she outgrew it around 5.5yrs old - and she was the one telling me about expiry's before dd was ever born. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC