You guys will appreciate this. A few pics from our check/recycling yesterday

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We had a four hour check at Ikea in Renton, WA yesterday. It was part of a safety fair, so kids were getting bike helmets done, Star 101.5 was there (I worked on one of their lady's seats, though I don't think she was one of the main on air people), and we were accepting seats for recycling. In four hours we checked 73 seats and accepted over 200 for recycling. I think I did six cars and saw no kids until the fourth. LOL The first three were expectant parents (due in five days, nine days, and one week. She was the one still working at the radio). They were doing construction on the road in front of us, so I had a sore throat from yelling last night, and we ended up breathing in asphalt for the last hour or so.

After the check I went and helped get seats ready to be recycled. We pulled the covers, buckles, hardware, etc. off. And whoa. I saw seats I'd never seen before, or have rarely seen. Two FPSEs, one Futura, a whole bunch of old Britaxes (some with blue plastic, tons with red lockoffs and old bases), the Evenflo On My Way, which apparently was the Snugride of the day (um, UGH), and I don't know how many Breverras. Some with rubber shields. I'd never seen or heard of those before. How awful! One of the ladies working with me (Denise Donaldson from Safe Ride News) found a snail living in one seat. LOL She ended up getting all the dirty ones for some reason. Ants, food, dirt. I got clean ones, luckily. There was one so badly covered in mold they wouldn't let me do it. And Denise had given me gloves. Thank goodness. They kept coming away wet. With I don't know what. So it was a very interesting day, and actually a lot of fun. Only a true carseat geek would have gotten excited by that pile of icky old seats. LOL Any of us here would have had a field day. We could have crossed so many seats off the pictoral. LOL

This was after I was done checking seats, what the volunteers had gotten done getting seats naked until then:
3489646006_992a07d445.jpg

This is what was still left. When I left 90 minutes later to get Piper from school we had gotten through a large chunk of them.
3489646002_6fb5019c4c.jpg

The Breverra with rubber shield. What a PITA this seat must have been to use!!! I didn't even ask. How did you get the seatbelt into the guide? Lift it up and then put it back every time?
3489645992_922e8096a2.jpg

This is the one they wouldn't let me touch.
3489645968_80dfde7a61.jpg

Oh, I saw one Frontier, three True Fits (one rear, two forward. One lady had two matching that matched her interior. LOL). Those are seats I see, but usually during private checks, not public ones. And of course about a million Snugrides and Britaxes.

Wendy

ADS

zeo2ski

Whoa that's a lot of mold! And a lot of seats!

On the breverra could it be you thread it backwards so it just catches the belt to position it away from the neck for comfort? I can't see those elastic things holding any force anyway lol.

Sounds like a successful day, good job!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wowzers, what a haul!

LOVED the rubber shields on my Next Step (fancy shmancy breverra, basically)... totally easy to get things buckled up and totally prevented the straps twisting :thumbsup:

And, imagine the belt guide the opposite way from how you are. It's basically a locking clip, so you clamp the belt in it just like you would a metal locking clip, except only the shoulder, not the lap and shoulder. In theory it's cool, until it starts ripping the cover off the seat, lol.

Another good thing is that most of those Breverras had a 30lb minimum weight limit...not that anyone bothered to adhere to that...but Century tried...
:)

Oh, gawd, what was ON that Triumph? I'd have never brought that into public, lol :p

heyruthie

up until i found this site 2 years ago (and saw the light!!!!!!!!!) I had one of these that I'd gotten out of the trash with no harness straps, that I used as a booster for my then four-year-old :eek: I've come a long way baby!!!!!! I am living proof that this site has helped people!

3489645992_922e8096a2.jpg

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Wow! What a collection! Was there an incentive for people to bring their old seats? Great job!!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
OMG, you guys did a check at Ikea??? Its like my 2 favorite things, all rolled into one.

And, whoa. That is a huge pile of seats. How awesome!

Shanora

I had my old Triumph in my Shed for 2 weeks and it got THAT mouldy....:eek: I was hoping to keep it as a spare...unfortunately when I seen that I had DH destroy it...:( I had just put it in there, it was late summer, and had put the spare cover I had taken off an older one (that was also destroyed and brought to the dump 2 weeks prior), and when I pulled it out for the movers to put onto the truck it was covered in mould. I was pretty upset.

fyrfightermomma

I had the Breverra with my foster son back in the day

Honestly, I loved it! The shield made it sooo easy to buckle and the straps never ever ever twisted (umm atleast down there)

I honestly liked it :whistle:

Splash

The Breverra was one of my fav seats ever. Mine didn't have a shield and I only ever installed it with ALR lap belts (screw LATCH, all vehicles should have three seats of ALR lap belts for car seats) so there was never a problem installing it. Awesome seat...

all together ooky

That looks like it would have been a blast! What a pile of seats!
Man, I wish they'd do a check like that at my Ikea, just for the recycling. Shopping...carseats...what more could I ask for?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
OMG, you guys did a check at Ikea??? Its like my

Yeah, that was my first thought too! :p We have an IKEA less than 15 minutes from my house - how do I get them to do a car seat check?

And is that a GM seat I spy in the box on the right? (The white-shelled seat with the brown vinyl wrapped around the edges at the top.)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Wow, nice haul. I can barely look at the moldy Evenflo picture much less contemplate anyone or anyone's child touching it. :eek: Does anyone else ever wonder or dream about Ikea selling carseats...from Sweden...with high ERFing capacity? Synergy of sorts, lol.

CandCfam

Man, had I known y'all were there yesterday, I would have stopped by.:p
That is quite a scary site with those seats.:eek:

Kat_Momof3

omg... that is one moldy triumph... I'd love to know how they managed to get it that moldy.

And yeah, I'd have had the pictorials printed out, stapled together, and color-coded tags to separate the sections. then me and my camera would have tried to find at least one of each seat.

I'm such a geek.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC