RSTV review, pics, and ?s

Wife&MomX3

We got DS (4yo, about 40lbs & 44") a sz. small Ride Safer Travel Vest to use in the rental car when we fly to visit dh's family. (instead of checking his Regent as a pc. of luggage that might get damaged or lost). We did a test drive with it tonight. He said it's too tight, but he didn't keep complaining, just mentioned it was snug. He also didnt like that it rubbed on his neck (especially after attaching the top tether). I took some pictures w/ my phone. Hopefully somebody here who has used a RSTV or knows about them can let me know if this is how it's supposed to look while in use. (I read the manual a few times, it's very short). The kids on the website are bigger than DS, and the vest seems to fit them better.

I couldnt quite get the shoulder strap to lay perfectly flat. It was completely in the guide as shown and explained in the manual, but there was still a little bunch (see pic) that I couldnt get rid of, due to the angle of the shoulder strap. Is that ok?
RSTVguide.jpg

Also, the lap belt is as low as it can go. Is that "over the hips" enough? It isnt over his stomach for sure, but Im not sure how low it needs to ride to be "on the hip".
RSTVfront.jpg

And is it a common issue w/ the RSTV for vest to rise up off the shoulders so much? I dont see how it's avoidable, esp. w/ the tether in use.
RSTVside.jpg

And just ftr, so nobody thinks Im lying in my siggy, lol, DD1 is still RF in our van, but rode in the Apex we use as a spare seat in the car for this little test run.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I couldnt quite get the shoulder strap to lay perfectly flat. It was completely in the guide as shown and explained in the manual, but there was still a little bunch (see pic) that I couldnt get rid of, due to the angle of the shoulder strap. Is that ok?
Yeah, it's fine, although I wish they would make the guide just a wee bit wider to actually fit the seatbelt. Maybe there's a reason for it, but the wrinkle also worried me & every one else whose kids have used ours. I don't worry about it anymore. No real reason other than that it hasn't ever fully slipped out on its own, so I prefer to trust rather than worry ;)

Also, the lap belt is as low as it can go. Is that "over the hips" enough? It isnt over his stomach for sure, but Im not sure how low it needs to ride to be "on the hip".
When you press on his hips at the thigh crease, where does your finger lie in relation to the seatbelt width? It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but DD's seemed to have fit her like that at first when she was 4. I think it was Jools who pointed out that this is different than a booster. In a booster the seatbelt makes direct contact with the body & the body absorbs the crash forces only at those areas. The RSTV offers 2 relatively thick layers between the body & the belt, plus by nature of it wrapping around the child's entire torso the crash forces are being spread out over a greater surface area. (This is one of the main reasons we use safety restraints: think bed of nails vs. 1 nail).

And is it a common issue w/ the RSTV for vest to rise up off the shoulders so much? I dont see how it's avoidable, esp. w/ the tether in use.
Yep, this became less noticeable just before DD outgrew the size small & is quite obvious again now in the large. I still prefer lap-only belt & TA to lap/shoulder belt for the reasons explained above (4 pts instead of 3)

Kat_Momof3

it also appears like he is slouching... I'm guessing the vest wouldn't rub against his neck if he sat a little straighter (this may be because of his legs trying to fit the seat... encourage him to sit with his legs crossed)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
DD always looks like she's slouching in it in any vehicle, but she isn't. She also *loves* to cross her legs, but never does so in the vest. Not sure why, but maybe because it just feels different on the hips than a harness?

Shellipsm

Being urbanites (read: don't own a car), and moms to a healthy three year old that is 41 pounds, and 41 inches tall, and had thus outgrown her sit and stroll, we researched and researched, and landed on the RSTV.

It's LOVE. Malka LOVES wearing it.

And here's the key - ONLY USE A LAP BELT IF YOU ARE USING THE TOP TETHER. They should NOT NOT NOT use the shoulder strap until they are 60 pounds, and then you can stop using the top tether.

here's a picture of Malka in hers:
3338066699_f1d9a2f3e5.jpg

hard to see, but she's in the middle, top tether in place, and ONLY the lap part of the belt is going through the hooks. I'll try to get her to model more for me, but it's hard, as we only use it for cabs...

Feel free to ask any questions, we really really really love it!

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And here's the key - ONLY USE A LAP BELT IF YOU ARE USING THE TOP TETHER. They should NOT NOT NOT use the shoulder strap until they are 60 pounds, and then you can stop using the top tether.

According to the little pamphlet they call a manual, you can use either the shoulder and lap belt with the top tether optional, or the lap belt with required top tether at any weight.

OP, your pictures are EXACTLY how it fits Piper and sits on her and how it lifts when we use the tether. She also says it's snug, but I'm paranoid enough that unless she's turning blue she'll deal with it. :)

Wendy

Wife&MomX3

Thanx 4 the replies! He wasnt slouching, I made sure of that and strapped him in so tight! ;) I did tell him to try crossing his legs and he said it hurt his leg at the top. I think the design of the vest and where the lap belt sits makes it uncomfy for the hip area maybe.
Overall I think this will be perfect for the trip we bought it for, and as a spare "seat" from now on. I'm sure when he grows into it more it'll be even better.

One more question: Do your kids like the pillow attachment? Im wondering if I should bother packing it for the trip, when I know he wont be sleeping in the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter says she likes the headrest attachment-- but I've never seen her use it. She kind of holds her head forward and when she falls asleep it goes forward or over to her sister's seat next to her. :shrug-shoulders: So... We use it 'cause she insists but I don't think it really fits well.

I wouldn't bother packing it were I you. If he doesn't know it exists he won't miss it. :whistle:

courtfrog2

I believe it's been revised. You can not use the tether with lap only belt after 60lbs. At 60lbs you have to use the shoulder/lap belt. It says to contact them after 60lbs for use with the tether. I was thinking maybe have to install a heavy duty tether hook.
http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/newsite/pdf/10-73-01-01E082705.pdf

Actually... after 60lbs you can buy a heavy duty dual top tether that attaches to 2 different tether straps in the vehicle. It kinda looks like an "X" with hooks in all 4 ends. Hard to explain.

We ordered one (if anyone needs the lady's name let me know... I called her direct) and it was around $25 or $30. We need it for our truck that has lap belt only.

Only the Large vest needs the dual tether anchor and you don't need to buy it unless you only have lap belt only... lap/shoulder belt works just fine.

momto4plustwins

Actually... after 60lbs you can buy a heavy duty dual top tether that attaches to 2 different tether straps in the vehicle. It kinda looks like an "X" with hooks in all 4 ends. Hard to explain.

We ordered one (if anyone needs the lady's name let me know... I called her direct) and it was around $25 or $30. We need it for our truck that has lap belt only.

Only the Large vest needs the dual tether anchor and you don't need to buy it unless you only have lap belt only... lap/shoulder belt works just fine.

SO if it has foour hooks where do they hook 2 on vest and two sept. tether anchors? We are thinking about these for our girls over 60lbs lap belt of caravan. but there is only one tether avail.

momto4plustwins

I bumped because I need clarification? If lap only and over 60 pounds how does the tether hook? Do I need 2 tether anchors for that child? I really want to order 2 of these for my girls ASAP.

Shannon

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
DD doesn't like the head cushion thing. I just drape a silky over the hooks on her shoulders to prevent her hair from catching.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC