Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with this small-plane trip!

In late May, I will be flying down to Seattle with both kids. We will be on an AngelFlight plane. Their regulations are that one adult could fly with DD, but I called and asked about taking along DD1 as well, since DH works weekends and we wouldn't have child care for her. They said she is light enough that I could take her.

So, I'm thinking of getting a Scenera for DD2 for the trip. The issue is what to do with DD1. She will be a month away from her 4th birthday on this trip. Should I get a CARES harness for the flight, or just have her in the lap belt? My mom will be picking us up, and we'll have her car for the week we'll be down there. I'm really temped to booster her for this trip but I won't. She's too young and she's only 32 pounds. I guess our only option is buying a Nautilus online and having it shipped to mom's house, even though we really don't have the $$ right now
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

Re: Need help with this small-plane trip!

I have never been in one of the angelflight plane, but this is the same type of plane my dh flies regularly. We don't have a CARES, but dh's cousin uses them for his 2 kids on their plane all the time (I married into a family of pilots). I know a GN, BLVD, RA, and I imagine an EFTA all fit well in the seat

Here are couple of pics the kids in the plane we usually fly

*Contains miss-use - low chest clip and RF RA on a rear facing seat (I discussed this here and it was decided that weight and balance of the plane overrode
    placements)*

This is what the kids look like shortly after take off
    Last edited by J-max; 05-04-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!

Any input?

Take the EFTA for Scarlett on the plane and put Mali in the belt on the plane. Have your mom pick up a scenera. Put Scarlett in scenera and Mali in the EFTA.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

The thought of traveling with that thing scares the bejezzus out of me . It might work though...I'll have to check and see where she's at in the EFTA. Last time she was in it she was pretty close.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

...That's a better solution. I was thinking Chase.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

No way would she fit in a Chase

How tall is her torso? What seats do you have?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Probably 17.5? I haven't measured in awhile.

We have a Regent, TF, MA, and EFTA.

I was thinking of taking the Scenera since it's so light. It will be me, 2 kids, our suitcase, a carseat, and I'll be 8 months preggo.

Hmmm.

Any chance of an Apex in the car you'll be in? Whereabouts will you be going? Maybe one of us on the board is in the area and has a seat you could borrow? If she was 35 lbs. I'd offer my RSTV for the trip.

Mom has a Taurus, so the Apex would be fine, but I thought the Apex had top slots similar to the MA's.

We're going to the Seattle/NW WA area.

It really depends on the car... In some I get 17 1/2, in some I get 15 1/2. It's a very variable seat. So it would only really be an option if you'd had it in that car and knew whether you gain or lose height in it.

I know we have lots of folks in Seattle... Maybe one has a Regent or Nauti you can borrow...

Hm, yeah I never thought to try one. That's what I get for not trying out every single car seat in every single car .

Depending on what dates, or maybe even not depending all that much, I'd be willing to loan you our Nautilus. We're driving down towards Portland, probably, over Memorial Day weekend- I'd rather have DD1 in the Nautilus for that, but she's really very fine in a booster seat and I'd be OK with it.

We live very close to SeaTac, and near-enough to Boeing Field if you're flying in there.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Thank you for the offer! I'm not sure what airport we will be flying into, but it might be Bellingham.

Oh. Bellingham's a bit of a hike- about 100 miles. Maybe there's someone further north who could help you, or your mom and I could arrange to meet up somewhere before you get here.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Mom's in the middle between B'ham and Everett I'm sure she could swing down to Everett. I'm not sure on the exact dates yet, but I will let you know when I find out

Let me just add that with Angelflight it's individual pilots that donate their time and planes to fly people. So, they all fly different planes. My husband works in aviation and has several customers that do Angleflights on a regular basis. What I would do is see if you can find out what plane the specific pilot that is flying you guys has. For instance, I know some Cirrus pilots fly angelflights and they are four-seaters with four point harnesses in the front AND back seats. If that was the case you would have to sit in front because they have airbags on the front harnesses that don't allow car seats to be used there. (They are also one of the safer planes as far as safety features.)

9 yr old in a pink zebra NBB and 5-stepping
    6 yr DS1 old in a Harmony
    4 yr old DS2 in a Nautilus and Radian
    18 mo DS3 rfing in a MyRide65

Yes, that's the trouble, and we won't know what plane it will be until right before the flight. I have been in contact with them but we can't even request the flight until a week before we go.

CPST Instructor

unless you can borrow or rent a cares pretty cheap, I guess I would just use the seat belt for dd#1 (you will be sitting close enough and will be able to make sure she stays seated).

For when you are in Seattle area, I would either see if you can borrow a reliable seat or buy a GN or RSTV.

ETA
    Actually - I have a small RSTV and if you want to pay for shipping, you can borrow it while you are there (either ship it to you or someone over there that can meet you at the airport).
    Jess, CPST and mom to 6 girls
    W(7/28) is rocking an Aton, S(3) rides in a Nextfit or RXT, O(6) has a Frontier 90, the big girls (9, 11) have Monterey Boosters and incognitos, and the oldest is 15, wears a seat belt and is driving!