Which convertible to keep rear facing longest?

momofmandp

Updated with new question in post #10.

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me choose my next car seat for my 2 year old. He's a peanut weighing only 23 pounds and is around 33 inches. He's currently using a hand-me-down Roundabout, but his head is close to 1 inch below the top rear facing. So, I'm looking for another seat so I can keep him rear facing for as long as possible - hopefully to 35 pounds. Which seat would give me the best rear facing longevity? I'm not as concerned about it's forward facing capabilities as I figure I could get a Nautilus once he's forward facing. TIA! :)

Last edited:
ADS

NannyMom

My daughter is a peanut too. She's 2 1/2 and 25 pounds. I recently bought her a True Fit because she keeps outgrowing her seats by height (she has seats in 4 cars). I was also considering a Radian (and will likely end up buying that also).

Mommy0608

The longest lasting seat for RF use on the market currently is the True Fit, it has the tallest shell. My almost 3 year old is still RF in a True Fit with LOTS of room to grow. You can see her in my sig pic.

momofmandp

Thanks everyone! Is the Tru Fit as easy to use as the Roundabout which I'm used to? Also, I see that there is a regular and Premiere version. What's the differences and which of the two is more recommended?

Calleiah

Should also mention the new Graco My Ride that's coming out soon. It's supposed to rear face to 40lbs and forward face to 65. Im not totally sure though when it's coming out, maybe someone can update us.

Pixels

The rumors on the MyRide were that it was coming out the first week of June, but that hasn't been confirmed. Even if it had, release dates can be changed at any time for a number of reasons. If he has an inch and a half above his head, and you want to wait for the MR, you can keep a very close eye on him (because a growth spurt can happen any time), and try to wait. But you should also choose another alternative, and be ready to go out and buy that if he outgrows the RA before the MyRide comes out.

hboo22

My 3yr old rides RFing in a truefit and has lots of room left. It also still fits my FFing 4 year old great! I find it very easy to use also, although it's a bit heavy

momofmandp

I'm bumping this up again since there are more people that have now tried the Graco My Ride. Given my ds' current stats, do you think he's more likely to outgrow rear facing by height first or by weight? I think people are saying that the My Ride has a shorter shell than the True Fit, so for my situation, would I get longer rear facing time with the higher weight limit (but shorter shell) of the My Ride or with the taller shell of the True Fit?

erin327

I'm following this thread because I am in the same position - 2 year old outgrowing rear facing in her Roundabout - and trying to decide what I want next.

firemomof3

I'm bumping this up again since there are more people that have now tried the Graco My Ride. Given my ds' current stats, do you think he's more likely to outgrow rear facing by height first or by weight? I think people are saying that the My Ride has a shorter shell than the True Fit, so for my situation, would I get longer rear facing time with the higher weight limit (but shorter shell) of the My Ride or with the taller shell of the True Fit?

I tried the MyRide out yesterday and my 38", 29lb 3y/0 was too tall for rf but has lots of room in her True Fit. Its hard to tell if your child is going to need the 40lb. rating on the MyRide but my guess would be no. I still think either the Radian or True Fit would be a better choice :twocents:

scuby20

I'm in a similar situation. My daughter is tall, all torso! she is 28.5 lbs now and like 34.5" tall. She is pretty maxed out RF in her blvd..I'm trying to hang on till the TF with ARB so I can reach the harness adjuster easier. I'm scared at this point though that she'll hit the 35lb limit before the height in the TF, but the MyRide is going to be to short for her tall torso. I wish so much that the myride had a taller shell...I would love another 5 lbs of "cushion" to play with! But I think it's going to be the TF for us

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC