TrueFit and Marathon in a 99 Cougar

munchkin

I had M & E this weekend, but only had access to a 1999 Mercury Cougar (re: horrible bucket seats - pics here) for us to go anywhere. I took the TrueFit and Marathon with me, because both kiddos fit in both seats. I knew the RF seat for E wouldn't be a problem with noodles, but was really worried about a FF seat for M. I weighed her beforehand, just in case she could go RF (40.2 :().

The TrueFit fit like a dream with 3 noodles, RF. Of course it was Monet, but I don't think E cared. It was so easy to put him in the first time without the top on, buckle him up and then put the headrest on. Then I got smart and figured he can climb into M's seat and somewhat jump over to his seat and then he slides down the back and sits. I wish I could have gotten a video of him doing it, it was hilarious! And he had lots of leg room.

M's seat on the other hand was a pain in the butt. The Marathon worked better FF, but it was still a stretch. I think I was just at 80% of the base touching the seat. At first I pull the base out towards the front of the seat and installed. It was tight side to side, but could be slid forward. So I moved it further back and pretty much stood in the seat while pressing against the ceiling with my back. There was still a big gap between the seat and the back of the base, but it was not going anywhere (extremely tight install in every direction).

I was also reading the vehicle manual and it does say to use the bar where the passenger seat belt is sewn around to tether RF. I thought that was awesome that in 1999 they were thinking about tethering RF. Of course it was a lot off center, but it worked. (This was after M moved to driving with my mom and wanted the pink seat, so E had the MA RF in the Cougar.) The TrueFit gave the passenger more room up front.

Here are some pics:
Leg Room

Both seats (M's chest clip is a little low, it was fixed!):

And a cute one!

We went out to eat and E fell asleep in the car. He really needed a nap so I didn't want to wake him up. I took the headrest off the TrueFit, uninstalled the seat, and carried him in. It was heavy, but he slept for another hour! After dinner we sat outside talking and the kiddos (M, E and my cousins 2 kids) had a ball taking turns in the seat. Everyone was joking about their 'recliner'.

Images have been removed for privacy, please PM if you would like to see them.

Last edited:
ADS

Kat_Momof3

where are the hugs on the MA??

how much does E weigh... I wonder if he had to have the headrest on... because he's certainly short enough.

munchkin

Very cute pics... but where are the HUGS on the MA ?

where are the hugs on the MA??

I am such a bad aunt and tech :eek:, I know it. That was the last thing I was supposed to grab on the way out the door (in St. Louis) on the way to Louisville. I hadn't remembered I forgot them until I was switching the harness height for M on the MA. I tried so hard to get the TrueFit in FF for her, but it was not a very good install. So I decided that at 40 pounds, I would be ok with her not using them over not having a good install (because of numerous reasons). I would NEVER advise another parent to do that.

how much does E weigh... I wonder if he had to have the headrest on... because he's certainly short enough.

I first got a TrueFit a year ago, when E was 6 months and was upset that he was 22/23 pounds then so I had to use the top even though he was no where near it. He is still right at 23/24 pounds (hasn't really gained anything since he was walking at 8/9 months) and still has about an inch or so until he needs the headrest for height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC