Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CPS Technician

So if you were crazy about RF like me...

Do I really need a TWE? I want one but do I need one?

DS will be three the end of next month. Two weeks ago he was 32lbs.

There is no question that I will do whatever it takes to keep him RF until the minimum of four. I'm thinking a My Ride might just do that.

Last year he had a big growth spurt in April so I wouldn't be surprised if he is still 32lbs on his birthday. Since he turned one he's gained 6lbs a year (if he stays 32lbs on his birthday.)

Cost aside would you still get a Swedish seat just because? I assume there still have to be big benefits to RF past four.

DS has never once complained about RF, he really doesn't even realize there is another option.

Oh and we definitely need two seats so if we get a TWE we'll be getting a My Ride too.

Thoughts?
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: So if you were crazy about RF like me...

No, I would not (and would not recommend) importing a seat for a healthy and typically developing 3yo. I would not break the law "just because".
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Senior Community Member melniemi's Avatar

I'd try the MyRide and if he seems like he will have enough room to make it to 4-4.5, I would just get another one of those. Less than 1/2 the price of a TWE.

I've had this debate with myself a couple times now and also asked about it here. My DS will be 3 in August but is 33 lbs with not a lot of height wiggle room in the BLVD. Even so, based on my own thoughts and from the thoughts of posters on here, I will not be getting a foreign seat. I will buy a MyRide ASAP and pray they come out with a HWRF seat with a tall shell soon enough, but if they don't, then my little guy will have to FF when he outgrows every American seat by height and/or weight RFing.

I know you've had that siggy pic up a while and maybe he's grown, but it looks like your guy would have plenty of room in the MyRide and I would absolutely just get 2 of those.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

CPS Technician

Oh forgot to add that DH is going to Europe next week so can possibly bring a Swedish seat home with him. This is why I'm thinking about it now.

I also don't have a problem breaking the law when it's best practice. Technically where I live it's illegal to keep a child in a harness past 40lbs regardless of their age. No one here would consider boostering a child under 6 (who is more than likely going to be way above 40lbs.)

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Several posters here -- knowledgeable, conservative, careful people -- have boostered children under age six.

I get your point, but I still do not support using an illegal seat for a healthy, typically developing, 3yo.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Not for a child over two, no. It's fun to want one though, for me anyways.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

This seems to be a very polarizing topic on this forum. In the end, whether it's 'want' or 'need' or a little of both, it comes down to you - you're the mom; you will do what you think is best for your child. Just know the possible consequences of an illegal seat, and be ready to accept them in exchange for the added safety.

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    Several posters here -- knowledgeable, conservative, careful people -- have boostered children under age six.

I get your point, but I still do not support using an illegal seat for a healthy, typically developing, 3yo.
    OK most people (if not all) on here wouldn't consider boostering the average 40lb kid.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmom View Post
    This seems to be a very polarizing topic on this forum.
    Yeah I didn't think it would be...

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmom View Post
    In the end, whether it's 'want' or 'need' or a little of both, it comes down to you - you're the mom; you will do what you think is best for your child. Just know the possible consequences of an illegal seat, and be ready to accept them in exchange for the added safety.
    Good point! Thanks!

I agree with what twinsmom said. I personally chose to import (cause a friend of ours went to europe and offered to bring a seat back with him) even knowing the legal risks and what not. Honestly, I'm not worried about it at all. I my TWE!
    Lara

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I go back and forth on this topic.

TODAY, I wouldn't do it. If you had asked me last week, however, I probably would have.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I agree with what twinsmom said. I personally chose to import (cause a friend of ours went to europe and offered to bring a seat back with him) even knowing the legal risks and what not. Honestly, I'm not worried about it at all. I my TWE!
    Did you friend have to pay any duties for the seat coming back in?

I would and am considering it, but with a Multi-tech. I know the legal ramifications and the desire to keep your child RF until 4. I also have a desire to get the KNOWLEDGE of such a seat out. If there is one around for people to see and touch MAYBE I could get people to pressure Britax into bringing over and selling it (everyone has their pipe dreams Mine involves driving to baby stores with european car seats and a petition )
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brightredmtn View Post
    Did you friend have to pay any duties for the seat coming back in?
    nope, carseats are duty free
    Lara

not unless my child was over 40 lbs and under 2 yrs old, or had some delicate spinal situation.

But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't use one if it was sent to me! And boy would that be fun!
    Bridget, mama to Abigail 04/15/04 30lb 38in (FF Princess Radian)
    Georgianna 08/22/07 ~27lb 31in (RF Shannon BLVD)
    Maple Kate's coming in October (Strawberry Coccoro)

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    nope, carseats are duty free
    Seriously?!? Oh then he's definitely bringing one back. My gift for leaving me for a week and not getting to tour the UK with the Breeders too. And this is on top of an already promised trip to Hawaii!

My DS turned 3 about a month ago, he's holding steady at about 31lbs and I'm only feeding him twice a day now (just kidding)...honestly for me I can't afford a higher weight RF seat and will reluctantly turn him when he reaches 33 lbs, we have 3 MA's for him to use and have side curtain air bags in both vehicles and I know at 3 he is perfectly safe to ride FF.

Like others have said, if one were to magically appear I wouldn't hesitate to use it though.
    Single Mom and SLP

Senior Community Member mommy2env's Avatar

I would. Rules were made to be broken.

I'm kidding, well sorta.

DD1~14yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~8 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey
    DS~3 yrs old Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake
    DD3~ 10 weeks in a Chicco Keyfit

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I would get the MyRide. When he outgrows that, see where you are.

I wouldn't recommend importing for most kids... But I understand the desire, if I had the money/room I would probably do it for mine.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!