So, I did buy an 8 seat Sienna

autumnlily

With some number crunching, and a perfect timing home refinance, I made it possible to get a used 2007 Sienna LE 8 passenger without adding to our monthly payments we are currently paying for our car.

Okay, on to the van - It's a 2007 LE with package #4. Blue Mirage Metallic with Grey interior. Package #4 includes:

•Dual power sliding doors with rear door electronic locking system
•HomeLink® [14] universal transceiver
•Overhead multi-information display
•8-way power-adjustable driver's seat
•16-in. 6-spoke aluminum alloy wheels with P215/65R16 All-Season tires
Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [5] + Traction Control (TRAC)
•Rear disc brakes
•Windshield wiper de-icer grid
•Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

I will get the van the second week of May (purchased from private seller who is moving back to Europe, we will actually drive them to the airport to ease their transportation needs and transfer of vehicle) and we saved $$... we would have easily paid $4000 more at a dealership. It's a win/win for both families (they have twins too!).

I just had to share our find and my ability to make it affordable (I kept our payments to the same amount and did not increase the duration to payoff from our current situation) after all the great input from the board a week ago!

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

Congrats! We're waiting for our home equity loan to come through so we can get an 8 passenger Sienna too! When you get a chance I'd love to see pictures.

Heather98012

Congrats! We're waiting for our home equity loan to come through so we can get an 8 passenger Sienna too! When you get a chance I'd love to see pictures.

Um....I know you didn't ask for advice...but taking out equity on your home to buy a car is a REALLY risky move. Especially considering the housing climate. Every financial advisor would tell you not to do this. Ok, I'm done. :eek:

OP, congrats! If you were able to get a deal where the pmts are the same & the loan length is the same...sounds like you did well!!

emandbri

How very cool! I know you will LOVE IT! I'm jealous of the dual power doors too, I only have one. Honestly, that is the only thing about the van I would change! :D

The only other thing I would like to have is voice command for my ipod but I don't know if any Toyotas have that! :whistle:

Suzibeck

Congrats!

We are trying to do the same thing here, but we are looking at a 2008 Kia Sedona. From the figures the mortgage guy just emailed me, we can easily buy this van and I so didn't think it would work out. I think we will extend the payoff on the house by a couple of years but that is only if we never pay down on the principal, which we will do. The refinance will actually most likely let us pay off the house earlier. I hate having a car payment, but we can't wait much longer and with repairs bills on our current van, we might as well be making payments.

I agree with you Heather. We are doing a refi because we have a high interest rate, the lower rate will lower our monthly payments a good deal allowing us to comfortably make the van loan payments. This is a much better way to do it. I perfer no car loan at all, but that isn't going to work for us this time.

firemomof3

Um....I know you didn't ask for advice...but taking out equity on your home to buy a car is a REALLY risky move. Especially considering the housing climate. Every financial advisor would tell you not to do this. Ok, I'm done. :eek:

OP, congrats! If you were able to get a deal where the pmts are the same & the loan length is the same...sounds like you did well!!

Its OK, I don't mind advice :) The interest rate we got with a small home equity loan was about 1/2 as much as a "car loan". My dh is very smart when it comes to money, he has specific education & experience. Our mortgage is very low so we're OK taking out an equity loan. But thank you for your advice, I do appreciate it.

waterbaby

Its OK, I don't mind advice :) The interest rate we got with a small home equity loan was about 1/2 as much as a "car loan". My dh is very smart when it comes to money, he has specific education & experience. Our mortgage is very low so we're OK taking out an equity loan. But thank you for your advice, I do appreciate it.

PLUS... the interest is tax deductible on an equity loan. :thumbsup:

Heather98012

Whew...glad I didn't offend. I was worried I was out of line, but I had to at least say it, KWIM?

PLUS... the interest is tax deductible on an equity loan. :thumbsup:

True. But...well....I'm a firm believer that unless you're ok living in your van, you don't mortgage the house to pay for the van. There are just too many variables that can throw a kink in the best laid plans.

But, it sounds like the numbers work out, so I won't obsess over it any longer! :eek:

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I sooo envy you! Congratulations!!! I totally want a 8 passenger Sienna. It won't happen anywhere in our near future.

We just got a 2008 Chevy Uplander van last week. I wish I could have gotten the Sienna but with the oldest kiddo going to college soon we just couldn't. We traded our Suzuki in on a 10 month old Uplander with 12,000 miles and paid a super low price. My van payment is $160 so I can't complain we needed more space and that's what we could afford.

Someday maybe a Sienna. :whistle:

I'm happy for you. :love:

autumnlily

I was going to post more about "how" we obtained the car - but didn't know if it would be off topic. I do think it is great that people can look at financial situations and talk openly - it can be very helpful!

We refi'd and reduced our monthly mortgage payment by just about $500 and that included rolling any outstanding debt (less than 4% of the total loan). We no longer have an equity line. This made me feel more secure about pulling out the cash difference on our old van (what we could sell it for versus what we owed) from savings. Our new car loan has better terms and we did put a deposit down too to keep us in the same payment situation. I would love to pay cash for a vehicle... and someday I hope to get there in our goal of financial independence. But for today, we are working on and doing well with paying cash for everything else (day to day including "fun" purchases).

I'm just so excited to feel comfortable with our choice and cannot wait to get the van! 16 days left!!! I'm already eyeing the Rachel GN (although I prefer the Miley) to match the grey interior for my oldest DD (she will ride in the center third row).

autumnlily

I would have been completely satisfied with the one sliding door and am over the moon that I get dual sliding doors and automatic drivers seat (DH and I are a foot different in height... I truly hate the hand cranking, again though - very minor issue).

I of course love that it has the stability & traction too. And, am going to benefit from the directional info (N, S, E, W) on the overhead console!

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I'm just so excited to feel comfortable with our choice and cannot wait to get the van! 16 days left!!! I'm already eyeing the Rachel GN (although I prefer the Miley) to match the grey interior for my oldest DD (she will ride in the center third row).

The Rachel Nautilus was on sale last week at Target for $150 or $156 something like that. I went to see one at our nearest Target. Didn't buy because I was hoping for a darker color than the gray.

I just got 2 Miley Nautilus seats and LOVE the color. DD loves that the seat is pink as opposed to the True Fit she is using in DH's car. The brown/tan/beige color is so nice.

Just thought I'd let you know. :D Here's some photos, not mine. We got ours from Albee Baby and the DOM's were 02/09.

Last edited:

mommy-medic

I have an 07 sienna limited and LOVE it sooooooooo much!

Mine came with voice activated navigation and bluetooth- you tell it to go home or starbucks, or the store, or whatever and it will route you there! (has sonar and a backup camera too so you dont run over any kiddos).

I didn't realize they didn't all have dual auto doors- what about the back hatch, is it auto too?

My absolute favorite feature that I think every car should have- sunshades that retract down into the doors! Heck yeah!!!

Congrats on your sienna- I know they are amazing, reliable vehciles that hold their value well. (And car seat install is a breeze in them as well)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC