If you're NOT in love with your Frontier--why? just install?

heyruthie

or is it other stuff too? i understand the following:

-it can be hard to install (any comments on outboard install in back bench of '02 Odyssey?)
-the mesh cover is a PITA (so I was planning on the Sahara cover.)
-It doesn't have a cup holder, maybe? (no problem, the Odyssey had numerous cup holders for him.)

but are there other "issues?"

You can get it for a pretty rockin' price right now during this sale, so i am actually seriously considering it--when i wasn't even open to it before. it would be for my DS1--big boy in my siggy. he'll be 7 this summer, but has ADHD, and the harness is a nice thing for him--even though my other option that I'm VERY open to is the Monterey. he just recently outgrew the harness on his Apex. His brother (with whom he fights a LOT) will be joining him in the back seat for the first time after the new baby arrives, and one part of me (the part that hates fist-fights) loves the idea of keeping them both harnessed.....

ADS

Splash

Horrid install, crappy covers, major twisty straps, buckles fall under the kid's butt (but felt chair feet fix that), HUGE front to back (very little leg room because of the recline), flimsy armrests, horrible useless tantrum-inducing cupholders.

I got suckered into a sale as well, and got one for $197 total. I would rather have paid $220 for a GN (not that a GN is 220, just giving perspective)

remken

I love my Frontier. I've only had occasional strap twisting on very rare times and those I think were caused by error use. I can install it in my 05 impala in less than 5 mins. My son has plenty on leg room in that vehicle and in an 98 Honda accord. I do need call about the cover though.

cowgirlsmommy

It has 2 cup holders so no problem there. I actually have no problems with twisty straps or anything like that. The only problem I have is the install. I've been spoiled by easy to install Britax seats and the Frontier doesn't live up to that standard. It's the only seat I have to fight with for 10 minutes to get a decent install.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
dd hates it. she can'tbuckle/unbuckle it like the gn. stupid cupholders she can't reach. Lower harnessheight than the gn, in my vehicles at least, and we need every millimeter. Heavy. Like....seriously, can't carry the damn thing, heavy. Weird flimsy armrests. dd hates it. the hugs and shoulder pads are annoying. have I mentioned dd hates it?
Personally..eh..i could have taken it. Install was awful, but whatever. but she hates it.

Splash

dd hates it. she can'tbuckle/unbuckle it like the gn. stupid cupholders she can't reach. Lower harnessheight than the gn, in my vehicles at least, and we need every millimeter. Heavy. Like....seriously, can't carry the damn thing, heavy. Weird flimsy armrests. dd hates it. the hugs and shoulder pads are annoying. have I mentioned dd hates it?
Personally..eh..i could have taken it. Install was awful, but whatever. but she hates it.

But how does your daughter feel about it?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
FWIW ds hated the Nautilus and loves the Frontier.

I liked the Nautilus, but I love the Frontier - the worst thing about the Frontier for us is the mesh cover.

rochelle

Dislikes

-it can be hard to install using LBP (ours is both frontiers outboard in our corolla), we dont move car seats so that was not critical

-the mesh cover is easy to vacumn with a hand vacumn. my frontiers are the canyon colored ones and they hide food crumbs and sand well.
- roomy. my boys have much more room width-wise so less sweaty.
- head wings, my boys use the head wings as pillows to sleep on.

Neutral

- it had two cup holders but we didnt open it for our boys else they will be doing nothing but opening and closing the cup holders.
-armrest. my boys could climb into their car seats without lifting the arm rest.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I actually like our Frontier...no twisty strap problems, no cover problems, no installation problems and my son loves it. Granted we could run into installation problems or cover problems over time but so far so good (I have only tried installing it in my vehicle). I just install it for the first time with LATCH last week and it was such a breeze...I just wish I could use it for my 4 year old with LATCH but I can't as he is over the limits.

Like some posters have mentioned the buckles slide down behind the child but that could be fixed if it bugged you enough. And it is so wide front to back that it leaves little leg room for the kid using it.

Overall I am happy with the seat.:thumbsup:

all together ooky

Dislikes:

1. COVER. The mesh has got to go.
2. The male buckles slides down the strap and you have to be careful to not twist the strap when bringing it back up.
3. The buckle is harder than on the GN (sticky).

heyruthie

OK--so just to clarify for anyone wondering: DS1 is too big for the Nautilus (crotch area was a JOKE! and shoulder area was too narrow) so that is NOT an option. Our only real three options are:

-Discontinued Regent (can still buy one here locally, obo same $$$ as Frontier)
-Frontier (can get it on sale, obo the same $$$ as Regent)
-Monterey (can buy locally, cheapest option)

Maybe I should just go ahead and post a poll....

TIA!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I finally tried the FR in the back driver's side of my 03 Ody (same as 02, and with top tether anchors added to the outboard third row positions)...yes, it fit! I did recline the seatback a notch or two, and I'll be honest, it took some patience and leverage (read: weight on the buckle side) to get it, but I did get it on my first try with the LBP. I was going to attempt a center SBP install with the lapbelt, but I had no patience for the locking latchplate on that thing and gave up :eek:

I know the Regent without a recline bar fits back there, but now that the recline bar's required, I'd be a tad worried it won't work. And we absolutely love the FR as a booster. We put some little sticky furniture felt foot pads on the harness straps to keep the buckle tongues from slipping down and to keep the harness from twisting, and they've been a lifesaver, Britax has NO idea what they robbed us of by taking away our velcro on the harness, it had nothing to do with keeping the straps out of the way, and everything to do with keeping buckle tongues accessible and straps from twisting :p

heyruthie

I know the Regent without a recline bar fits back there, but now that the recline bar's required, I'd be a tad worried it won't work. And we absolutely love the FR as a booster.

I do know several other posters who've told me that they have sucessfully installed the Regent in that position of the same vehicle.

Also, I won't even bother spending the $$$ on the Frontier if I end up using it as a booster. I really only want it as a harnessed seat, since I'm contemplaing buying it for my oldest--and I'll have 3 other kids to pass it down to. As soon as I want a booster, I can just buy a dedicated booster for him, and then pass the FN down as a HWH seat for my next kid in line, KWIM? If I was going to go straight to the booster now, I'd just get the Monterey.

I guess I'm just deciding (big picture here!) whether I want all my kiddos to have *one more* harnessed stop between the Apex and a booster....the FN (and the Regent) would do that for me. But I'm also contemplating the idea that with 2 Apex's in the household already (1 for each car), I'll just use those as my HWH seats, and when my kids outgrow them, decide it's time for a booster-- period. If I bought the FN, when 1 kid outgrows the Apex, I'll move him/her to the FN, and bump the older child into a dedicated booster. But maybe I can just skip that step and be very happy about it.....

I guess it all boils down to, "To harness for AS LONG as possible, or not to???"

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
This is for a nearly 7 year old? I'd get a nice good booster (the monterey option).

I see no need to harness past 7, really,unless the child simply is not able to sit in one correctly (special needs, physical or behavioral).
As long as the APex will get your kids to a minimum 5.5-6, then I see no need to buy another harnessed seat for them. now...if the growth pattern of your other kids indicates an Apex won't get them to that age, I'd reconsider...but since you 4.5 yo is still in an EFTA..these are NOT ginormous kids, right? So I think your plan if perfectly fine.

heyruthie

This is for a nearly 7 year old? I'd get a nice good booster (the monterey option).

I see no need to harness past 7, really,unless the child simply is not able to sit in one correctly (special needs, physical or behavioral).
As long as the APex will get your kids to a minimum 5.5-6, then I see no need to buy another harnessed seat for them. now...if the growth pattern of your other kids indicates an Apex won't get them to that age, I'd reconsider...but since you 4.5 yo is still in an EFTA..these are NOT ginormous kids, right? So I think your plan if perfectly fine.

most of my kids will probably make it until 6 at least in the Apex--if not longer, DS2 is shorter on the growth chart, and DD is a complete peanut (5th percentile.)

my DS *DOES* have some behavioral issues (ADHD, impulse control, & stuff like that) so it's borderline--KWIM? He's not bona fide "special needs," exactly, but he has been through quite a bit of behavioral therapy, and we're finally (I've been VERY much NOT wanting to) considering medication at this point. He's had a rough history (foster-to-adopt, etc.) I'm sure it all boils down to "I know my kid best" but it's iffy....he's so mature compared to how he used to be, but I guess I'm afraid he'll regress when his little bro gets back there and starts needling him.....

SGTex

most of my kids will probably make it until 6 at least in the Apex--if not longer, DS2 is shorter on the growth chart, and DD is a complete peanut (5th percentile.)

my DS *DOES* have some behavioral issues (ADHD, impulse control, & stuff like that) so it's borderline--KWIM? He's not bona fide "special needs," exactly, but he has been through quite a bit of behavioral therapy, and we're finally (I've been VERY much NOT wanting to) considering medication at this point. He's had a rough history (foster-to-adopt, etc.) I'm sure it all boils down to "I know my kid best" but it's iffy....he's so mature compared to how he used to be, but I guess I'm afraid he'll regress when his little bro gets back there and starts needling him.....

I have my 7 yr old still harnessed - mainly b/c we have a Regent that he still fits into and he likes it best. He does lack impulse control but not in a way it really affects him during car rides, but I really like him in the harness now. He'll be in it until shortly after his 8th birthday - unless he has a huge growth spurt before then (which he just recently had one, so I'm not expecting one). I have a Frontier which he does fit in - he's 53" tall, but I'm not sure what his torso measures - he still has a bit of room in the Regent though. He really likes the Frontier and would prefer it, but it's really DD's seat in my DH's car, so he doesn't get to ride in it. If you have ones to pass it down to when he outgrows it, I personally would buy it, but I'm also a car seat addict and would want to buy it, just to get a new seat! :p

Heather98012

Well, I love ours. The cover gets dirty (at least the pink one; the red looks great), but I can live with that. The straps don't twist anymore. I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining. The buckles do slide down sometimes...but not all the time.

I dunno. We love it. DD has a TON of room in it, she's super comfy, she actually loves & uses the cupholder, & I love the sturdy feel of it (which I know is something subjective).

The only negative for us at all is the install. It can be done...& done rock solid...but it's a PITA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC