My 2 year old surprise:)

Melodiya99

I usually let my 2 year old climb across to her seat while I buckle the baby, and this weekend she completely surprised me--when I went around to her, she had buckled herself, and did a really good job of it too...chest clip at the chest, harness snug. I got a new cover for one of our seats, so it was sitting in the living room and she had been buckling her dollies for a couple days, so that probably helped. I of course won't rely on her buckling skills at this point, but it still made for a happy momma:D

ADS

Mommy0608

Wow, that's good for a 2 year old! My DD (almost 3) tries to buckle herself too, but never gets her arms in the straps first. She buckles the chest clip then the crotch buckle, so I have to undo everything (she does it while I'm getting DS in his seat). :rolleyes:

emandbri

That is awesome! I need to get Elizabeth to put her arms in at least, it would be handy since she is moving to the middle in July. :whistle:

Melodiya99

I think it's partly because she's a carseat junkie like her mommy...she's always SO excited about new seats and can't wait to try them out, even if it's an infant seat, lol:)

heyruthie

yeah, my DD has lately been screaming, "No, I do! No, I do it!!!" about all her buckles--even though she lacks the hand strength to even come close to doing the lower buckle. I "help" her so she feels like she did it :p She can do the chest clip now though!

dd9736

my almost 2.5 y/o does his chest clip up, but hasn't figured out how to get the lower buckles done up. No surprise, especially when he's wearing his jacket or a sweater, as I NEVER loosen the straps to take him out (I"m nervous that I won't be the next one to put the boys in.) I sometimes struggle with them.

that's awesome by the way, a great way to deal with the "I do it's"

NannyMom

I was thinking about this thread today. I think Sofi can't do it because I don;t loosen her harness anymore. So it's be dofficult for her to get her arms in. Maybe she could if I loosened it alll the way.

And yes Emandbri..... why is she moving to the center?

WhatAboutPuppy

My 18 months old climbs into his seat, RF BLVD 4 inches from FN, he climbs in between the seats, over the water bottles/toys/arm rest, and plops himself into his seat! It doesn't look easy and I usually spot him from behind cuz I'm afraid he'll fall. lol
My other stepson is 5 and he loosens his harness himself then snaps it all up and pulls as tight as he can. lol

emandbri

Why is she moving to the middle?

She starts preschool in July and you drive up and they get the kids out and put them in so she either needs to be in the middle or passenger side outboard. I figure if she is in the middle I can jump out and make sure she is in right since I don't trust the teachers to do it.

Benjamin has been there for 2 years and was in the middle and I would buckle him from the driver's seat but I hurt my back and moved him to the passenger outboard and when they put him in his straps were almost always twisted. This was in a marathon, I don't even want to know what all the alpha omega straps looked like! :eek:

I do hope to do a short lesson with all the teachers and aides to show them how to get the straps on correctly, Benjamin's teacher came to a car seat check and she thought it was a great idea.

mish

good grief, my children are lazy.

My youngest is too. He is almost 6 and can't buckle himself. I should be ashamed that I don't make him try that often, but I'm not. It is just easier to do it myself. I think I would feel differently about it if I had to buckle more than one.

Melodiya99

My youngest is too. He is almost 6 and can't buckle himself. I should be ashamed that I don't make him try that often, but I'm not. It is just easier to do it myself. I think I would feel differently about it if I had to buckle more than one.

My husband's mom was totally that way with him...when we got married, he had never made his bed, never been clothes shopping, etc. MIL says it just seemed faster and easier to do things herself. Now, he's a pretty wonderful husband (who would even attempt making the bed for me), so I can't say she went too wrong with him;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC