My kids are going on a 10 hour car trip this Thursday-Monday! OMG!

OMG! This is this first car trip that is more than 2 hours long. MIL and FIL decided last minute to take the boys with them to BIL's graduation(Master's).
They are leaving THursday and will come back Monday.

I am nervous! I know they will listen to me on carseat saftey, after I go over it again.

I am sending Logan with the FPSVD(his comfy seat he calls it) and Michael in the Parkway-less ways to screw up.

Can I buy that Fisher Price Travel Tray for Logan's seat and see if one fits for Michael's seat? Those are safe right? The ones at BRU and TRU?

I have to think of what will keep them occupied for 10 hours-I am praying my inlaws buy a tv or something for them.
Michael and Logan loves car rides, but Michael gets carsick so I am worried about that.

Any ideas on how to keep them occupied?

They have a DS and a Leapster...any other ideas?

ADS

MustangMama

Do you have a laptop computer and does it play DVD's? You could send it along so you know they have a movie or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 to watch. LOL!

That is what I plan on doing next road trip. I am going to have to buy a car adapter but it will be worth it. My battery just sucks so bad it dies after 20 minutes now! Eeek!

monzogary

Senior Community Member
To me, an unsecured laptop=huge projectile. I do however have a double screen portable dvd player that attatches to the front headrests. We take a 9-10 hr one way trip at least once a year and the dvd player is priceless!

Kat_Momof3

why not get them each one new (to them - check craigslist and ebay so it doesn't cost you so much) game for their system.... give it to them WHEN they leave... that may keep them occupied almost all of the ride.

Another idea... buy them cheap little mp3 players and load them each a playlist of songs they like... no fighting over music and the grandparent not driving can sleep more easily than if the radio were on.

Pack them each a backpack (like you would for a plane trip)... there should be the following items

1. travel games - if you have them sit next to each other, they can play tic tac toe, but whether you buy or make these yourself (it's not too hard to use pennies as pawns and make your own board game on a sheet of paper with some cardboard on the back... you can buy replacement dice or make a spinner), these will keep the kids busy - just put each game in it's own zipper bag

2. coloring books and crayons or color wonders stuff

3. (since you have them) their ds/leapster and a container with games.... make sure the systems are charged or that you have car chargers

4. snacks and drinks

5. (mostly if traveling at night or if they could get cold) a light blanket

6. books - and hard cover books can double as a tray when coloring.

I say backpack because, if you are in a van instead of the sedan, you can hang the backpack on the captain's chair armrest.

Thanks everyone! MIL does have a laptop with movies and I told her to use it for EMERGENCIES only(she listens to me), I am too afraid of it being a projectile.
They will be riding in a 2008 Ford Escape-so plenty of room for them. I am not having them next to each other because Michael always says he is squished next to a carseat.

I am sending Logan in his FPSVD and Michael in his Parkway.

Kat-good idea about the bookbags. Can you tell we never travel? I honestly ignore all the travel threads here, because we never travel. :eek:

Good idea about the new games, but luckily they rarely play their game systems so it is all new to them. :)

*DS
*Leapster
*MP3 Player(forgot I got a spongebob one on clerance for 5.00 at target awhile back-hubby is going to load some songs in it).
*Crayons/coloring book
*Color wonder stuff(woohoo had this stuff packed away for next christmas, will bring it out for the trip)
*Transformers(They love their transformers)
*Books(for logan-since Michael gets car sick)
*Snacks/drinks

*I am going to go to target tonight and see what is there(I have to work till 7:30pm, but I have to go tonight or will never be able to go). I need to get them pj's too* LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC