Question Is the Monterrey taller than PW?

kidrepair

I know this has been discussed before, but at the time I didn't pay attention. My oldest DD is now outgrowing the PW, we have no headrests in the rear bench, she can move to the middle row which has headrests in a backless turbo but I like having that seat available for friends. So is there any highback booster taller than the PW? You can link me to previous discussions if need be, I'm not finding it on my own. Thanks

ADS

ginny4

my son in the PW vs Monterey. there is maybe some difference but not a ton. my monterey is a "short" one. there is some discrepencies in the height the neck extends to. the taller ones are about 1/2" talller than the shorter ones

parkway
CarSeat060.jpg

monterey
CarSeat063.jpg

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yeah, slightly.

The tallest high back booster is the Froniter - it has 24 inch belt guides.

This is a very tall 13YO in it in booster mode. Most adults would even fit, torso wise.

IMG_2663.jpg

kidrepair

Yeah, slightly.

The tallest high back booster is the Froniter - it has 24 inch belt guides.

This is a very tall 13YO in it in booster mode. Most adults would even fit, torso wise.

Wish I could afford that, I would love to get her one for a booster and get my 5 yr. old one to match, not gonna happen though. I would probably have to sell my RN just to buy another booster as it is.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kat_Momof3

I found it is a good 2-3" higher... but no pics... Joni does, of her daughter in both, though... and has found the same thing.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I have a PW and Monterey, and the Monterey is taller, but not much.

I think there were a RARE FEW that were a true couple inches taller, but that's not what's being sold now.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
honestly? If I didn't have the money for a frontier, I'd have to prioritize my dd's safety over "friends" and just deal with it. Are you trying to keep both middle row seats free, or just 1? If so,can you move one of the younger kids currently in the 2nd row to the 3rd?
Have you checked her in the 5 step test recently? At 10 some kids can pass without a booster at all in some seating positions.

kidrepair

honestly? If I didn't have the money for a frontier, I'd have to prioritize my dd's safety over "friends" and just deal with it. Are you trying to keep both middle row seats free, or just 1? If so,can you move one of the younger kids currently in the 2nd row to the 3rd?
Have you checked her in the 5 step test recently? At 10 some kids can pass without a booster at all in some seating positions.

That's what I ended up doing just now, I put my rf DD3 in the back row and put DD1 in the backless turbo behind driver, and that frees up a seat with a headrest, we take a friend to church weekly with us so we really need one extra seat. She does not pass the test in our van, we have an old van and the seatbelts seem to come from way behind the seats and rub her neck, I would feel more comfortable with a little more weight on her, she just hit 60lbs., maybe that's not an issue but it would make me feel better. Although I would like to find a backless that is not quite as high as the turbo, that thing seems very thick. Now I have new concerns about projectiles from the rear hitting DD3, like when we are coming home from teh store with cans. My DH thinks I've lost my mind for worrying about such silly thngs...

scatterbunny

You might want to try a Combi Dakota, if you're looking for a lower profile backless. I haven't had my dd in one, but I've seen pics of it recently compared to some other seats, and it seems very accommodating of the older, bigger kids, and not very tall.

kidrepair

You might want to try a Combi Dakota, if you're looking for a lower profile backless. I haven't had my dd in one, but I've seen pics of it recently compared to some other seats, and it seems very accommodating of the older, bigger kids, and not very tall.

Thanks I will have to check into those, I keep thinking those are the ones I've seen at my local BJ's wholesale club, she of course wants a clek, I can't get past the price considering we don't even have latch but she saw one with the monkeys and fell in love....

scatterbunny

I was noticing your siggy, WOW your DD is tall for 7, she is about the same size as my almost 10 yr. old dd...

Yes, she's been consistently in the 95th+ percentile for height and 85th+ for weight since 9 months old. Hard to believe she started out at only 4 pounds, 7 ounces (but 19.25 inches long). She wasn't even on the charts for weight, I don't think, and pretty average for length, at 5 weeks early.

I'm 5'5 and the top of her head is pretty much at my shoulder. Her 10/12 shirts are all-of-a-sudden getting too short (which tells me her last growth spurt was torso, and I better double-check her booster settings :cool:). She's in size 10 pants. Size 4 shoes. She's an inch taller than her two 9yo best friends (one of which will be 10 exactly a month after H turns 8, so they're pretty much exactly 2 years apart).

kidrepair

Yes, she's been consistently in the 95th+ percentile for height and 85th+ for weight since 9 months old. Hard to believe she started out at only 4 pounds, 7 ounces (but 19.25 inches long). She wasn't even on the charts for weight, I don't think, and pretty average for length, at 5 weeks early.

I'm 5'5 and the top of her head is pretty much at my shoulder. Her 10/12 shirts are all-of-a-sudden getting too short (which tells me her last growth spurt was torso, and I better double-check her booster settings :cool:). She's in size 10 pants. Size 4 shoes. She's an inch taller than her two 9yo best friends (one of which will be 10 exactly a month after H turns 8, so they're pretty much exactly 2 years apart).

That whole shirt dilemma, my dd is the same way, 10/12 are getting short but 14/16 are so wide on her, she is my super skinny girl, she has been wearing 8 slims on bottom, 10/12 or 14/16 shirts depending on man. and size 2-2.5 shoe, but has just grown in length and torso, she rode in the PW for our trip to AL just a few weeks ago and now says the wings are touching her shoulders and bothering her. I just measured her tonight and she has a 19 in. torso, not sure what the top height is on the pw but I'm guessing it's right there...

scatterbunny

I get about 21 inches for the PW's top measurement. But it can definitely vary in fit from car to car, child to child. My dd still has room, and she's got a 19.25-19.5 inch torso.

The 14/16 shirts are really wide, you're right. I sent her to school in one today and noticed it was pretty baggy. Size 10 pants fit her well as long as they're adjustable waist; she has to have 10 for length. And the size 4 shoes, oy, she started out the school year in a 2. I didn't expect her to need size 4 already. She gets it honest, though: her dad wears a size 12, I wear a size 10. :eek:

ginny4

just to let you know that my son the one pictured in the first reply (pics were from one year ago). has grown too. size 14shirts & 12pants. not sure of his torso hieght but i'm pretty sure he's around 19.5 fits the monterey with a lil room to spare. i'm sure he wouldn't outgrow it for another yr unless he has a super torso growth spurt

Stretchy Glue

Sorry it took so long. DD is 52 inches, 19.5 in torso (ish) I sold my PW because she had it up as high as it could go and although her shoulder was under the belt guide, the orientation of the seatbelt was causing it to slip off. These pictures are of when we got the Monterey. They are not current.

100_1789.jpg

100_1786.jpg

100_1712.jpg

(NO INSANE FORCE NEEDED)

This was the real kicker for us.
100_1785.jpg

100_1788.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC