Graco ComfortSport Vs Cosco Scenera

honeybee03

OK, here's my situation. I just got a Cosco Touriva. I hate it. The straps are flimsy, and they fold over and twist really easily (in fact, it is almost impossible to buckle her with the straps laying straight and flat). Also, it is REALLY hard to tighten the straps. When I pull on the front harness adjuster, it feels like its locked or something, when the straps are clearly too loose. Even the car seat tech who helped me install it had trouble, and we had to take the seat out of the car to tighten it. Plus it has to be so uncomfortable, I've noticed it has no padding, and DD fusses when in it.
ANYWAY, we went to the store to try out some different seats. None of the stores in our area carry Britax (which we can't afford anyway). Only Evenflo, Graco, and Cosco.
They had a Graco ComfortSport, and it was the only seat there that I liked. The straps were good like in my Snugride, they didn't twist or fold. I could easily pull on the front harness adjuster to get a tight fit, plus it has side impact protection and the EPS foam. It was $100 in the store, but I found it for $60 online.
The only bad part: it only rear faces to 30 pounds :(
Rear facing as long as possible is REALLY important to me.
The Cosco Scenera rearfaces to 35 pounds (which could easily be an additional 6mos, even a year that she could be rearfacing).
Unfortunately, they don't have a Scenera at any of the stores here to try it out. But I thought I read somewhere that it is pretty much the same thing as the crappy Touriva that I have now? So I'm afraid I would have the same problems with the straps and the front harness adjuster. The Scenera also doesn't look very comfy or have the foam (I believe).

So I guess I'm just looking for your opinions on the Scenera Vs the ComfortSport.
I guess I have to decide whether aggravating straps, less cushioning, no side impact protection, and hard to tighten straps are worth an additional 5 pounds rearfacing. :confused:

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
While I am a Graco fan and definitely NOT a Cosco fan, I would go with the Scenera. Here is why:

1) The Comfort Sport has really low harness slots, which means that not only will your baby outgrow it RF early, he will outgrow it FF early too.

2) The Comfort Sport is a BEAR to use RF. The harness adjusting strap is super low, which means that it gets buried against the vehicle seat, making it VERY difficult to adjust.

3) The Scenera has a taller seat back and higher harness slots, so it can be used for a longer period of time.

4) The Scenera has a higher RF weight limit.

I know you said Britax is out of your price range, but how about trying the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe? It is practically the same seat as the Britax Marathon and has a harness weight limit of 55 pounds. If the Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard will install in your car, the Safe Voyage Deluxe will too.

honeybee03

I guess I should have said that I was also considering the safe voyage. The only things holding me back, are I'm afraid to buy one before I can try it out first (none of the stores here have it). I also am not sure if I can talk my hubby into the extra whopping $100 that it costs.

So does the Safe Voyage get pretty good raps here?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The SVD does have a good rep because it is MADE by Britax. It's just a Marathon without the bells and whistles.

As for talking DH into spending the extra cash on it--Think about how much you spent on the crib--most likely over $100 and probably much more. You'll only use that for 2-2 1/2 years. An exersaucer is around $40+ depending on the model and you use it for a few MONTHS.

My point is that with most other "baby" equiptment you spend sooo much for such little amount of time of use. A car seat is one, if not THE most importan peice of safety equipment you will use for your baby. Being in a moving car is the most dangerous place for your little one. The $180 cost for the FP SVD is a one time cost that will likely take your child to 5 yrs old before you need to purchase a new seat. Over time that is a FANTASTIC deal compared to the amount of money that gets spent on toys/furniture that can only be used for much shorter amounts of time.

Susan

honeybee03

Susan~ I know what you're saying, a $180 car seat over say, 4 years, is only about 4 dollars a month. And I have no problem spending money on my child's safety. Its my husband who is hard to convince, especially when we can buy one for half the price kwim? I had a hard time convincing him to spend $250 on cloth diapers that we could re-use with all of our children, as opposed to the $3,000-$4,000 PER CHILD for disposable diapers. Its the initial investment that is hard to convince him.
I could use the argument that you gave me (that cribs and equipment cost $$), but we don't have a crib (we co-sleep), and we also don't have all those baby containment gadgets such as a swing, bouncy, exersaucer, etc.
Believe me, I understand your logic and agree 100%, its just hard to convince him we need something that costs $180, when he knows we could get it for $60 :rolleyes: Especially since picking the Safe Voyage would be more about convenience than safety.
I think what I need to do is find a site that offers 100% refund if it doesn't work for us, or if I don't end up liking it, since I can't try it out first. I couldn't find any reviews on epinions about the Voyage. I might just have to order it and hope I like it!

Last edited:

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
How reclined is the Touriva when you installed it? I might have missed it, but how old is your child? If it's an older baby, you can install it a little more upright and that could help the fussiness. FWIW, my DS is normally in a Roundabout (well, now other seats because he's too tall for the RA), but we use a Regal Ride for air travel (same seat as the Touriva). He didn't complain at all for the 4 hours he was in it when we flew cross-country. I think adults tend to notice the padding issue more than kids. Sometimes it's just that the seat is too reclined, or the child is bored. Will DD play with a soft book?

The Comfortsport generally is outgrown early and I don't believe it's any easier to adjust the straps rearfacing than the Touriva. I know that on the Regal Ride, I sometimes have to push on the splitter plate (the piece that the straps hook onto on the back of the carseat) to pull the harness tight over the child and then pull the adjuster strap tight. As far as twisty straps, I can't help there, but I found that it helps when I remove them carefully when I take DS out of the seat.

I like the FPSV. I haven't used it RF yet, but if you're set on a new seat, IMO, it's the best option of the ones that you have mentioned.

HTH!

kelly

The FPSVD will last until your child is 5 or 6. The Comfort Sport.... not a chance. It has been outgrown (both RF and FF) by TWO year olds. A 3 year old still fitting would be a good outcome. A 4 year old - fairly rare.

So, that extra $100 means NO MORE car seat shopping for many, many years.

I've shopped for a seat for a 3.5 year old - its NO fun. She was too big (37 lbs) for the combo boosters, and too young for a booster booster. Ugh. I ended up with a Marathon! :)

Plus, the extended RF benefits of the larger FPSVD is wonderful. Safest way to ride, for the longest amount of time. Can't beat it!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think what I need to do is find a site that offers 100% refund if it doesn't work for us, or if I don't end up liking it, since I can't try it out first. I couldn't find any reviews on epinions about the Voyage. I might just have to order it and hope I like it!

Do you have any stores around you that carry the Marathon? If you do, I would go try out the Marathon to see if it installs well in your car. The FP SVD is the same shell, so if the Marathon fits, the SVD should fit.

The primary differences (from what I have seen, at least) between the Marathon and the SVD are:

1) The Marathon has a RF tether-- the SVD does not
2) The base is different on the SVD. It is not as easy to switch between RF and FF, but you don't usually need to switch it that often.
3) The SVD does not have built-in lock-offs. You have to use a locking clip if your seatbelt requires one.
4) The upholstery is not quite as nice as the Marathon's. But it is adequate.
5) The SVD only harnesses to 55 pounds, while the Marathon harnesses to 65 pounds. HOWEVER, most kids outgrow the seats by height before they reach 65 pounds anyway.

Simplysomething

Just coming in to add...or to emphasize what they are all saying. Make sure it's the safe voyage DELUXE. That is all. :)

I've no experiance with the comfort sport... I have a scenera, it's fine. But I also know no better. lol

Good luck convincing your husband. You've already done it with cloth diapers? You'll convince him with the carseats. lol Like Kelly said, spend the extra 100 now and you probably wont have to worry about another carseat until the child is booster aged.

Have you posted how large your child is and the age? If so I missed it. They* can tweak their recommendations based on that info. :)

*they being the carseat gurus! lol

Yoshi

Hi- I had 2 ComfortSports, and while DD was comfy in them and they were relatively inexpensive, she outgrew them by height at 2.75 yrs (probably before this- I don't think I noticed that the top slots were below her shoulders FF for a couple of months. So guess what- I ended up buying ANOTHER 2 seats just this past spring. UGH!!! I ended up spending more this way instead of buying one higher harness/weight seat in the first place. Either way, it's money spent. Now or later.... I wish you well convincing your husband. :)

honeybee03

What's the difference when it is a "Deluxe"?

My DD is 7 months, 27in tall, and weighs 18 pounds. :D

Thanks for all the info everyone! I will tell him that if we got a ComfortSport, we would have to buy another seat, where with the FSSV, we probably wouldn't.

My Touriva wasn't any more reclined than the SnugRide really. Well, it depends, that darn thing moved up and down so easily. We had to use the noodles to get it at the right angle. And we had it tight, I climbed into the thing while the tech tightened the belt, so it was tight. But if you pushed down on the top of the seat at all, it would shift and recline back farther. It was a PITA, and really didn't seem safe to me. I have to use the noodles with my SnugRide, and it never does that, it doesn't even budge an inch!

Anyway, thanks again ladies. I better start looking for deals on the the Safe Voyage. Ok, so once again, tell me why I need to make sure its a Deluxe?

lovinwaves

Just wanted to Ditto on the Graco Comfortsport. We bought that for our dd that was 12mths. We sold it in a year realizing she was going to outgrow it. It was a HUGE mistake buying that carseat. I am so glad I found this Forum to realize that! :)

Just a little advice, we sold "baby" stuff to fund the purchase of our two new seats. I don't know if that would work for you but for instance, we sold our Graco Comfortsport for $90 a YEAR later. It was a nice down payment for dd's new seat. Now DH and I know we won't have to buy anymore seats for a LONG time. Whereas with the Comfortsport we would have ended up in the end either spending MORE money for another convertible or putting DD and DS in a Booster way way way to early.

honeybee03

Oh, nevermind, I found it....
The Deluxe goes to 55 pounds instead of just 40.

OK, so now I'm looking up this Radian car seat, and it looks awesome!! Now I want that instead! It goes to 65 pounds, and is the same price as the Fisher Price! But I can't find where it says it rear tethers....will keep looking.

Gosh, now I want to make a new thread to ask about the Radian :eek:

It will be my last thread, I promise :eek:

Simplysomething

It will be my last thread, I promise
You can make as many threads as you need too. lol

And the carseat shouldn't move more than 1 inch at the belt path. Rear-facing seats do tend to move at the top (I dunno about the tethered seats, as I have no experiance with them). If the seat is getting out of position, then something is up. lol

Glad you figured out the deluxe thing. I just knew you had to make sure it was that, for the 55 lbs weight limit, I couldn't remember the exact stats. lol

From your OP:
The Cosco Scenera rearfaces to 35 pounds (which could easily be an additional 6mos, even a year that she could be rearfacing).
I don't know if you have other kids, but remember that growth slows down drastically after the first year, so in reality it might be another two years rear-facing. lol

The touriva should be less inclined than the snugride, I think. or Something.

Alas, I'm just a carseat freak so feel free to ignore me. lol

honeybee03

Alas, I'm just a carseat freak so feel free to ignore me. lol

Oh, no! I am very appreciative of any input!

I know they shouldn't move along the beltpath. It didn't move side to side, it tilted forward and backward. Since the base wasn't flat on the seat, it "rocked" forward and backward.
Maybe the CS tech had it in wrong, but either way it seemed unsafe to me, and we won't be using it anymore. :cool:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh, nevermind, I found it....
The Deluxe goes to 55 pounds instead of just 40.

OK, so now I'm looking up this Radian car seat, and it looks awesome!! Now I want that instead! It goes to 65 pounds, and is the same price as the Fisher Price! But I can't find where it says it rear tethers....will keep looking.

Gosh, now I want to make a new thread to ask about the Radian :eek:

It will be my last thread, I promise :eek:

The Radian tethers RFing. (http://skjp.com/Media/Radian65-manual.pdf pages 14 and 29).

I love the Radian. It's an awesome seat, and fairly easy to install ifyou have a compatible vehicle. However, some are not compatible. My 2001 Nissan Xterra is borderline compatible. I certainly wouldn't let anyone else install it. What car will this seat be going in (sorry if you've answered that already)? It's a great seat to use, though. And it has high top slots and a tall back, so kids are going to last quite a while in it. You may very well get all six years out of it. It also has low enough bottom slots that infants (though maybe not newborns) should fit well. It has three RFing slots and two FFing, so there's plenty of room for growing.

Piper loves it and would much rather use the "brown seat" than her Wizard. She's going to be excited in a couple of weeks when a friend is borrowing the Wizard. Plus we travel quite a bit and the Radian is amazing on planes.

If you buy from Target.com you can return it to any store for credit or refund. I'd check them first online and see if you can find what you'd like at a decent price.

Wendy

markf1971

Senior Community Member
I was gonna mention the Radian, but you beat me to it. When DD outgrows her current CSS we will most likely buy a Radian for her next CSS. Here is a link where the Radian is only $179.99 with free shipping!

http://carseats.babycatalog.com/infant-to-toddler-convertible-car-seats/radian-car-seat/radian.html

We have a Touriva and a Scenera and I have not experienced the problems that you have. One word of advice on tightening the harness is if you can't get it tight enough while buckled, then unbuckle it and pull the adjuster strap a little more, then re-buckle. This way you don't have the resistance of the child's body against the harness. Also, you may want to try the jumbo noodle, which is about as big around as a grapefruit, when reclining the CSS. This worked perfect for us and was much more effective that using a pyramid of 3 regular noodles.

Oh, and I would ditto what 'bensmom' said about the padding/comfort of the Touriva/Regal Ride........" He didn't complain at all for the 4 hours he was in it when we flew cross-country. I think adults tend to notice the padding issue more than kids."

Simplysomething

We have a Touriva and a Scenera and I have not experienced the problems that you have. One word of advice on tightening the harness is if you can't get it tight enough while buckled, then unbuckle it and pull the adjuster strap a little more, then re-buckle.

Oh! The harness thingy...Also make sure that it hasn't somehow slipped down (or up) under the seat, over these little plastic points that I think are to keep the thing in place. We had that happen, and while trying to tighten the harness, I ended up with two punctures in it. (Cosco sent me a new harness though).

markf1971

Senior Community Member
Oh! The harness thingy...Also make sure that it hasn't somehow slipped down (or up) under the seat, over these little plastic points that I think are to keep the thing in place. We had that happen, and while trying to tighten the harness, I ended up with two punctures in it. (Cosco sent me a new harness though).

HUH? :confused:

I didn't follow any of that.

Where you quoted me I was just trying to give some advice about how to tighten the harness correctly if you have problems getting it tight enough.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC