Side airbags no good in rollover?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I could have sworn that you want the airbags to sense that the car is tipping and deploy before your window skids on the pavement? Why do you suppose a saleswoman would have told me otherwise today when we were looking at the FJ Cruiser? (At least it has ESC, so rollover is less likely anyway...)
:confused:

(ps, no, we actually aren't considering that car, but DH acted like it's the nicest car he's ever seen...I bet they'll be calling him for months offering him deals, lol)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I thought most Toyota SUVs had their STAR safety system plus Rollover Sensing Curtain Airbags (RSCA) standard. Side curtains deploy pretty fast. I'd guess they would certainly be covering the windows before they hit the pavement if equipped with a rollover detection deployment system. Maybe they left RSCA off the FJ (like they did with the Sienna)? If so, you should ask them why they put it on all their other SUVs, then;-)

Even the base model RAV4 now has RSCA, as do all current 4Runners, Highlanders and Sequoias. The only reasons I can think why they might leave it off the FJ are cost and to allow them to add the feature as an update in a future model year.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oooh - sorry to hijack, Jules ... but, this reminds me of a question I had a while ago & forgot, LOL: are there other vehicles with RSCA? Or something like it?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, that's why I was confused...

Anyway, it was funny, we saw 2 of our neighbors there while we were there...one fixing his 80's vintage Camry (ugh, I hate to see him drive his kids in that thing...center lapbelt only...), and the others were picking up their brand new Sienna (trading in a funky old windstar....).
I tried to steer DH towards a Solara, but he didn't like it...Bitsy wanted a Scion Xb, lol.

:)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Many current SUVs have an equivalent to what Toyota calls RSCA. For example, Ford calls it "Safety Canopy" on many of their SUVs and some other models, starting way back in 2002 on the Explorer. Honda has a similar system on the new Odyssey and Pilot, though they just call it side curtain airbags with rollover sensor.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC