RYS in booster mode and top tethering

BW1426

Something about only using the top tether and not the lower anchors bugs me. I don't know why.

So, why do they allow use of the top tether in booster mode "for additional safety" but no the lower anchors?

ADS

scatterbunny

The Recaro Start requires a top tether, and it has no lower anchors. :shrug-shoulders: The Graco CarGo, for years, has allowed top tether use in booster mode (but only recently did they say lower anchors were okay). I don't worry about it, personally.

southpawboston

probably because it hasn't been tested that way. as far as boosters, go, the RYS is on the heavy side, so you would want SOME form of restraint to keep all that weight from loading onto a child during a frontal impact. maybe they feel that the top tether accomplishes that? why don't all boosters allow LATCH, for that matter?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've never felt weird about my Start only being top tethered, probably because it just doesn't move in day to day use. I've sort of always thought it's 'better than nothing' and never considered, 'but lower anchors would be even better', kwim? I do remember we were disappointed when they failed to allow lower anchors on the YS when it first came out (rumor prior to release would be that they were allowed). I don't think it's a big deal, safety-wise, though.

southpawboston

I've never felt weird about my Start only being top tethered, probably because it just doesn't move in day to day use. I've sort of always thought it's 'better than nothing' and never considered, 'but lower anchors would be even better', kwim? I do remember we were disappointed when they failed to allow lower anchors on the YS when it first came out (rumor prior to release would be that they were allowed). I don't think it's a big deal, safety-wise, though.

remember that transport canada study that examined boosters with and without using LATCH+tether? (regardless of whether it was allowed by the mfr). the results were mixed, but the overall trend was very convincing, especially WRT chest loads, which were reduced in *all* test conditions when LATCH+tether was used (makes sense, right?). lumbar and neck forces were reduced in most but not all cases (the data was missing standard deviations-- what's up with that???). still, the data is pretty compelling in favor of keeping the booster in place during an impact.

BW1426

remember that transport canada study that examined boosters with and without using LATCH+tether? (regardless of whether it was allowed by the mfr). the results were mixed, but the overall trend was very convincing, especially WRT chest loads, which were reduced in *all* test conditions when LATCH+tether was used (makes sense, right?). lumbar and neck forces were reduced in most but not all cases (the data was missing standard deviations-- what's up with that???). still, the data is pretty compelling in favor of keeping the booster in place during an impact.

hmmm. interesting.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC