I went to a seat check today

peteetchou

I was going to Fred Meyer today and they were having a huge safety fair in the parking lot. They had a seat check going on so I had my seats checked. :D Woohoo I did great! I don't know very many people who would would get excited about that, so I thought I'd share it with some people who might. The lady from Safekids who did my check thought it was neat that I could tell her the model numbers off the top of my head lol.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Dude. Even *I* don't know my model numbers off of the top of my head. LOL Honestly, I'd still have to flip the seats around to find them half the time. But I also deal with a LOT of seats, so I'm often confused by who puts what where.

Congrats! Do you feel it was a good check? They took the seat out, looked it over, checked it for recalls, then made sure you knew how to install it yourself?

Wendy

peteetchou

She looked at them with the kids in them first. She didn't take the seats all the way out, but she loosened the latch straps and got the manufacture dates, asked me the history of the seats and the height and weight of my kiddos. She told me how they are recommending you fasten the seatbelt behind the car seat and lock the retractor if you're using a latch install because some kid got ahold of a seatbelt and wrapped it around his neck once. I hadn't heard that before but it made sense. She had a list of recalled seats with her that she checked.

I told her about the issue with the Scenera harness catching on the plastic spikes and abrading the harness and that I had the new sturdier harness from the manufacturer already (which I hate btw because it's VERY stiff and I have to tighten it by having one hand on the back of the seat pulling the harness tight and the other hand pulling the tightener) and she said she remembered hearing about that.

She retightened the Nautilus but I retightened the Scenera. Nobody in the family but me is allowed to touch the seats in our car lol.

U

Unregistered1

Sounds like a pretty good check! The seat belt fastening and the scenera issue were both in this month's Safe Ride News, even though I already knew about them from here... but not things that I hear most techs off this board talking about, so it sounds like your tech was pretty well informed. I'm glad you did so well :p

peteetchou

You know your model numbers?!?!?!?

Yeah I also have a pdf file of the manual for the Nautilus in case I can't find my manual. I can't seem to get the manual for the Scenera to work on the DJGUSA site so if anyone has a pdf file of that I'd love to get a copy. :love:

Andie

Yeah I also have a pdf file of the manual for the Nautilus in case I can't find my manual. I can't seem to get the manual for the Scenera to work on the DJGUSA site so if anyone has a pdf file of that I'd love to get a copy. :love:

I save the PDF manuals of my seats too. I have the Scenera one. I can email it to you if you like.

Glad it was a good check!

peteetchou

Yeah it was neat to watch. There was this woman with 6 kids in a van (all fighting with each other from what I overheard lol) and her van had pro-life bumper stickers all over the back. She had 35 lb kids in boosters :thumbsdown: and refused to buy any of the scenera's they had for sale at the check (they were cheap too!). I guess for her pro-life ends once the kid's born.

Yeah it was neat to watch. There was this woman with 6 kids in a van (all fighting with each other from what I overheard lol) and her van had pro-life bumper stickers all over the back. She had 35 lb kids in boosters :thumbsdown: and refused to buy any of the scenera's they had for sale at the check (they were cheap too!). I guess for her pro-life ends once the kid's born.

AUGH I hate that.. there is this woman with tons of prolife bumperstickers on her car, in my town, who doesnt have any kids, who always steals the baby program parking at shaws... goes to show how much she cares about babies once they are born. I ALWAYS stick one of my car seat manuals on her dashboard. (the ones where you got 100 free)

I can't wait till I am a tech and I can refuse to let people leave with their kids in seats that are expired and 2 year olds in backless boosters... forward facing infant seats.. augh!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't wait till I am a tech and I can refuse to let people leave with their kids in seats that are expired and 2 year olds in backless boosters... forward facing infant seats.. augh!

What right do you have to detain them? At our check for our class, in front of her students, our instructor let an 11 month old leave forward facing. Illegal (there were police in the class) and unsafe. And yet the parents weren't going to budge on rear facing. She can't detain them or refuse to let them leave. She can't take their seat away.

If there was a forward facing infant seat and the parents refused to listen I would write it down, write it down, write it down, and not touch it. They can put it back in and drive away. Their signature or initials would be on the paperwork, as well as my documentation.

Now if I was a cop who was also a technician then yes, I could do something (provided the two year old was actually breaking the law. There are backless boosters out there that say one year and 30 pounds, and if you're in a proper use clause state then it's legal). But for those of us who aren't, then we just educate the parents as best we can, then walk away and hope for the best.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC