Toys on carseats

Kellyr2

Spinoff of the "handle up" thread...
I know that its best to use NO aftermarket products. But how bad is it to put some soft plush toys on the handle?
Of course, I keep mine down on the road anyway and rarely take it out of the car, so there's not much point in me personally using them that way. I just wondered.

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I don't really consider these aftermarket products as they are not in the seat (that's where I draw the line I guess). The biggest problem w/ the toys is when you have parents who leave the handle up. I think they are great for baby to play w/ when you're shopping, in the stroller, etc.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just think to yourself, "If a professional pitcher were to throw that thing at my kids' head, would my kid be injured?". I sometimes leave those soft little 'bugs on board' on my dd's seat or the headrest behind her, but that baby einstein hard plastic toy thing that goes all the way across the handle? no thanks....

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just think to yourself, "If a professional pitcher were to throw that thing at my kids' head, would my kid be injured?". I sometimes leave those soft little 'bugs on board' on my dd's seat or the headrest behind her, but that baby einstein hard plastic toy thing that goes all the way across the handle? no thanks....

I've heard of the "ow" test (this way you don't need Randy Johnson). Take a toy and whack it on your forehead. If you say "ow!" then it's too heavy/hard to be in the car. If you barely notice or it doesn't hurt, then it's safe.

Wendy

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yeah, my cousin got one of those stupid toys that goes all the way across the handle. Someone wasn't thinking when they made those. Thankfully she can leave the handle up (you can't put the handle down w/ it on), but I told her it needs to go away when they're in car. I wonder if they'll listen any better than the rest of the family has...

LEAW

Yep, we used bugs too, and when I moved dd up to the Wizard I used those baby links things to link a stuffed animal to the headrest of the seat she's on.. the stuffed animal is small enough to not hurt if it thwacks me in the head, and the links saved us many a screaming fit when she dropped the toy, yet there weren't enough links to reach her head.

I guess really I should use a ribbon or something, as the links would hurt if they flew. :)

Morganthe

the stuffed animal is small enough to not hurt if it thwacks me in the head, and the links saved us many a screaming fit when she dropped the toy, yet there weren't enough links to reach her head.

I guess really I should use a ribbon or something, as the links would hurt if they flew. :)

Ahhh, but ribbons or ties can tangle or knot or could pull loose and become a choking hazard. :cool: Nothing's perfect (sigh)

I used links on EVERYTHING -- stroller, clothes, my keys, carseat... worked great. Real lifesavers. Daughter learned to pull things back up or she decided that she completely done with an item. People would try to hand things back to her and she'd look at them as if they were nuts. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC