OLD "carseat"

twinsmom

This is pretty scary!

1970sFamilyPicnic.jpg

This was a family picnic sometime during the mid to late 1970's. I'm the girl in front, so the "carseat" was for my little sister. It was basically a baby carrier that would somehow get strapped with the seatbelt. I'm not sure it even had straps to hold the baby in. At my age at the time (looks like 6 or 7?) my mom says I would ride unrestrained in the back, no seatbelt or anything. That's what people did back then. Even most adults didn't wear seatbelts. Good thing we weren't in an accident!

BTW - love my dad's "groovy" beard?:D

ADS

Mama!

Yeah you can see holes on each side for the lapbelt to thread through.

Thanks for the pic :thumbsup:

Pixels

Wow, I immediately knew the girl in front was you, even though I hadn't read your text yet. Your daughter looks a lot like you, and your son has the same eyes and cheeks when you/he smile.

Maedze

Wow, I immediately knew the girl in front was you, even though I hadn't read your text yet. Your daughter looks a lot like you, and your son has the same eyes and cheeks when you/he smile.

:yeahthat:

I actually wasn't thinking 'scary' at all. Scary would be the baby riding in your mom's lap. An infant car seat is pretty darned good for the seventies.

disbugsmomma

My mom and I were talking about that same exact seat earlier this week. She said that she bought one of the first ones when they came out. I'm not sure who she bought it for though, so I couldn't tell you what year.

twinsmom

Aw - that's so sweet. People have said that my daughter looks like me, but it's hard for me to see it. My son looks a lot like me - hair, eyes, smile, etc. but Katie looks so much like DH sometimes it's hard to see me. Thanks, though. It's nice to hear!:)

Maedze said:
I actually wasn't thinking 'scary' at all. Scary would be the baby riding in your mom's lap. An infant car seat is pretty darned good for the seventies.

Yea, I guess you're right about that! It's a wonder we all survived!;)

beebear23

Senior Community Member
My cousin had one of those for her DD in the early 90's. she was broke and it was all she could get.

canadiangie

I used to volunteer at a child centre about 15 yrs ago and there was a mom who drive a 2dr mustang and had her son in one of those infant seats. One time she and I walked to her car together and I watched her buckle it in. She put it in ff and just threw the belt over the belt guides. It was super duper.

(no, at the ripe old age of 15y/o I did not say anything thank you very much.. it wasn't until the ripe old age of 17y/o that a true obsession for seats took over my life :p)

abckidsmom

It looks strikingly similar to the seat I used for my oldest in 1991:

<quoted photo of another member's child snipped by moderator due to forum policy about not quoting photos posted by others>

Takes the bucket description to a whole 'nother level, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrBlue

That was the infant seat my parents had for me; I was born in '73 ;)

There was a 3pt harness thingy that looped through a metal ring attached to a crotch strap and you routed the seatbelt through 2 plastic belt guides.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My brother had that same seat! I think he was the only kid to have a car seat--my sister rode in a Johnny Jumper bolted to the roof of the van, so she wouldn't crawl around. I had an OHS but rarely rode in it--my mom had me in it once in her VW Bug, and the engine caught on fire (pretty common when there was a passenger in the backseat, as the springs from the seat would hit the engine and spark) and she couldn't get me out. After that I just bopped around the backseat.

myliljunebugs

Wow...my mom used infant buckets like that for my brother and I, but I've never seen one! She said noone she knew used anything and we used seatbelts when we could sit independantly and noone else did that either. My brother was born in 77 and I was born in 80

twinsmom

Considering the number of PP's who say they used that seat (or similar) as late as the 1990's, I guess it was state-of-the-art in the 70's! Good job mom!:thumbsup::)

nutmeg

I rode in a big white bucket just like that in 1976 - it was state-of-the-art here in Canada at the time. My uncle was an RCMP officer and right before I was born, he had been at the scene of a car accident where a baby was riding in his mother's arms and was thrown out of the car and killed. So he insisted that my parents get a bucket.

My mom went on to use a big brown plasticy OHS carseat for us later, and even after that, we rode in a booster seat (like a low back booster) with a (4pt? 5pt?) harness that was bolted into the back of the seat and attached to the lapbelt at the bottom - I guess kinda like a ride-safer vest? She bought it in the states and was looking for another one for my younger sister. Transport Canada (or whatever it was called at the time) told her that those harnesses weren't tested in Canada as they didn't protect the child's head well enough. But my mom thought they were better than just a booster/lapbelt, so she continued using it. That would have been in the early 80's. Cool!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC