Mommy-ranting complaint about growing kid

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The fact that so many of us get differing 17" vs. 19" top harness slot measurements for Apexes & yet Cosco says there's no difference is an annoying issue....

Another issue specific to us: Leila was even with the 2nd highest harness slots when I bought it in the summer -- I figured she had time, but then *WUMPH* another growth spurt & she's already just barely a smidgeon away from being even with the very highest slots :eek: :eek:

Luckilly, she has also shown a marked improvement in maturity recently & I believe she'll be fine using it as a booster in the center of my parents' Highlander (with adjustable headrest + shoulder belt). We do still have the Husky, too & she's even with the 2nd highest harness slots on that thanks to the recline bar -- otherwise I'd be debating whether or not to move her up to the highest already ... geez, man, can't my kid just stop growing taller??? LOL

ADS

Yoshi

Tiffany- I hear you! When I got the Regent for DD in April, she was below the 3rd from top slots, now, a mere 6 months later- her shoulders are above that slot and I'll be moving them up to the 2nd from the top:eek: She's only 3.5 and 36 lbs. And DH and I are both on the short side-we're 5'5".

I know people sat they slow down their torso growth, but her pants from last winter still fit, so those legs aren't growing much! She is on the top slots of her Decathlon.....I am so sad. Whenever I read how these 4yr olds are still fitting in their RA's or RF still at 3 yrs- I think- how did I get this big kid?:rolleyes: She's the same size I was in Kindergarten! I thank God she's healthy and growing- but in regards to carseats, it's a PITB!

Tara

Tiff....Leila needs to stop growing..I think she's going to outdo my 9 yr old shortly. LOL
Glad she's had a growth in maturity to match the growth in height ;)

btw .. I see you wandered over and snagged a glitter name too.. it's you ;) I like it

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ is like that. We bought the Radian in February and he was under the 2nd to top slots by a good inch, now he needs the top slots! lol He's getting his Regent next year. :) I can't even fathom a booster yet! Evan will be the same way as AJ, but he's such a lightweight he'll be outgrowing seats rfing height wise before weight. lol

skaterbabs

I hear you! For us the problem is lack of headrests, and a very tall child. :p Joyjoy is 37" and weighs 37 lbs. She's outgrown the Touriva by height an I just moved her to the top slots in her MA. She'll be lucky to make it to 5 in any harnessed seat except the Regent.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yoshiandluke ~ yup, I was the smallest kid in my whole grade ... Leila (like her older 1/2 sister) is the tallest kid in her whole grade :p

Tara ~ Thank you: I always admired Jennifer's glitter & when you added yours I just had to snag one, too :cool:

Jennifer ~ Ugh, yeah, Leila outgrew the BLVD at just about precisely the exact same time both RF + FF :rolleyes: (My cousin's spare Omega fit Leila longer RF than FF)

Rebekah ~ I so feel your pain about the headrests: my SO's Civic has those "quasi" headrests (nonadjustable & short) that I think Leila will be too tall for when she outgrows a highback booster ... by then he better have a more family type vehicle!

Manufacturers need to think of these TALL kids, too!!!

cantech

I hear your pain!

Just be grateful you're in the US and have some decent choices to make. DD#3 is a 4 1/2 year old 38lb. 43"+ Canadian girl who is long torsoed and very long and lean! Until the introduction of the Radian here in Canada I was facing a choice of a harness that was below her shoulders or using a booster illegally! Nice choice huh!

So I paid $227 (CAD) for an inch of harness height, didn't get to choose the color, and I'm really grateful to have the seat!

But...I'm betting the little darling will take off on a growth spurt any day!

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now! LOL and no I don't begrudge a penny of the purchase price!

Belinda

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Belinda, I was recently trying to decide between saving to move to Canada or what & (well, maybe this won't seem as strange here as it does to everyone else, LOL) my decision factored down to a lack of tall harness seats :rolleyes: :eek: :p

So, is there any way to petition for a heigher weight/height harness foreign seat like NHTSA allows (such as getting a Swedish/Norwegian seat to keep special needs kids RF longer)???

cantech

Tiffany,

I'll be honest...I don't know if you can get a special decision from Transport Canada for foreign seats but I'll ask the question next week. I'm meeting with a TC rep. We were supposed to be having a Child passenger Safety conference next weekend but it has been cancelled due to a pending labor strike and lack of registrants. TC's rep is still coming so there are a few of us meeting with her. I've got loads of questions for her already, I'll add this to the list.

Belinda

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I just talked to a guy at Manitoba Public insurance about taking a Child Restraint Safey course and doing car seat safety checks. He gave me all the info I wanted but I also asked him the law for Manitoba about what age children don't need to be in a car seat/booster seat. He told me age 5 which he thought was way too low. He recomends age 8 and said they are going to try having this changed. I also asked about increasing the weight of harnessed children in car seats and he told me that it wouldn't happen.
This info was from MPI not Transport Canada. Hopefully something will change!

cantech

Even if nothing changes with TC's limits on weights I might be more accepting if I understood why they are the way they are.

Hopefully the road to enligtenment is short:rolleyes: but I don't expect...

Belinda

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't know if you can get a special decision from Transport Canada for foreign seats but I'll ask the question next week. .... TC's rep is still coming so there are a few of us meeting with her. I've got loads of questions for her already, I'll add this to the list.

Cool, I'll be waiting to find out -- I've been horrible so far about keeping up with what seats are available in Canada because it's like "eh, well, there aren't many, why bother" kinda thing :eek: Not the best approach & I would like to improve my knowledge about Canadian CPSafety! If there's a way to legally use foreign seats there that'd be so helpful to know :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC