Secondary seat for 7yo

HeatherB

Hi! I'm looking for input on what seat to use for my approximately 52lb, 48" just-turned-7yo in secondary vehicles, such as Grandma's Corolla or Daddy's Accord. When measuring his seated shoulder height recently, he appeared to be right about 17".

He currently rides in a Regent in our Odyssey, having just moved up to the top slots with a couple of inches to give.

Our current secondary seats for both the 7yo and 4.5yo are Safeguard Gos. At 17" shoulder height (and maybe a quarter of an inch more), the 7yo seems to have outgrown the harness on the Go once and for all.

One of the things I've *loved* about the Go is that it's easy to slide the harness guides up and down to adjust between the two boys, so that we sometimes keep one seat in each "other" car, and either boy can use it. They're also easy enough to install that even my mom doesn't mind doing it. Of course their portability is unsurpassed, as well (though we haven't been doing a lot of non-car travel lately).

Are there any other good harnessed options for my 7yo? I know I can use the Go as a booster at this point. Is that the best option, or are there others? Are there other boosters that would be a better option than the Go?

In looking at the Frontier, it appears there might be quick and easy adjustment for the strap height, as in the Go. But, it looks like the strap height won't give him a ton of room - maybe an inch? Is it a viable option, or better to stick with what we've got and just give in to moving him to a booster for those occasions? With two boys younger than he, I can justify getting something that will work for them, as well. But I really need to figure out the best option for this guy, now!

Thanks!
HeatherB
mama to 3 boys - 7 (Regent), 4.5 (MA), 19m (RF in RA)

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I'd keep the GO in each "other" vehicle for your 4.5 year old, and get your 7YO a Turbobooster, Monterey or Vivo.

The GO only becomes a backless booster, and I would keep him in a high back for a few more years.

The Frontier might give you another inch to inch and a half, but it has to be uninstalled to change harness height (or vehicle seat reclined, if they recline). So it's not nearly as simple as the GO. The SafeGuard Child Seat adjusts while installed.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The SafeGuard Child seat is good if he's relatively skinny (broader-shouldered kiddos won't fit well in it.) It needs to be 100% on the seat but that's not a problem in our Corolla, most likely wouldn't be in an Accord either. And it does easily adjust while installed. The install is super-easy with either LATCH or lap/shoulder belt (haven't tried it with lap-only but don't see why it would be difficult.)

It's also waaaay expensive.

At 7, I would be fine with a dedicated high-backed booster as a backup instead.

HeatherB

I really appreciate the quick responses! I had meant to ask about the adjustability in the Frontier, as well. It says you don't have to rethread, but never mentions if you have to uninstall for it. Very good to know!

I hadn't realized how high the slots are on the SafeGuard seat. It might be an option, as he's definitely a skinny guy. But I think I'll also have to look into the boosters, given that he IS a tall 7yo now!

Funny how you spend so long keeping them rearfacing, then harnessed, that it seems pretty disappointing to have to eventually use a booster, even if only some of the time!

Sceason1972

As a secondary seat - a high back booster is a great option at that age/size. It also is good for him to begin learning how to sit properly in a high back booster.

canadiangie

At 7y/o and 50lbs, I think it's time for him to start booster training to be honest.

I'd be looking at the Monterey or the Vivo.

Good job for keeping him harnessed this long. :thumbsup:

HeatherB

At 7y/o and 50lbs, I think it's time for him to start booster training to be honest.

I'd be looking at the Monterey or the Vivo.

Good job for keeping him harnessed this long. :thumbsup:

I just ordered a Monterey from Amazon, and we'll have it Tuesday. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the advice! My DH is bummed that the Go isn't a good option for a booster now, but having one in each of the "extra" cars will work well. Our little guy will, eventually, be ready for it, too.

Thanks again! :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC