Would you put child in front seat in this situation?

niccig

I dropped DS off at a friends and she was going to meet the rest of our playgroup at the park. She now has Nautilus and an unknown 40lbs seat in her car, so DS's Uptown wouldn't fit. I didn't have time to try and redo her seats. The park was 1 mile away, so I put DS's seat in the front seat - no airbags and seat was all the way back. It turned out that they did not go to the park after all, so DS didn't ride in the car this way.

There's a chance that we would have a similar situation again. Would you put a FF child in the front passenger seat if you can't get 3 across in the back? I am considering a rider safe vest. DS is nearly 35lbs, so he could wear the small. But this friend has a very difficult time installing car seats, so I don't know if she would be able to use one correctly.

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i do it. My back seat is almost completely incompatible with 3-across, given the seats I and my close family/friends have, so when I need to transport 3 kids, one usually goes in the front. It isn't the safest option, of course, but with no airbag, it's not horribly unsafe either. even with an airbag, a harnessed child pushed all the way back isn't horribly unsafe. i think each parent has to decide for themselves what level of safety they personally are comfortable with. For some parents,that measn turning FFing at 1 year and 20 lbs despite it being the most dangerous ioption we have data for...and for others, it means harnessing until 80 lbs in a regent....and then there is all the in-between.

monstah

In the situation you describe, unable to get 3 across then yes, I would let my DS ride harnessed in the front seat for a mile.

zeo2ski

Sorry, but I just wouldn't. They don't need to go to the park. I'm not a fan of making exceptions for short distances or infrequently used cars, etc. Especially since I wouldn't be the one driving. Who says there won't be an accident even though it's just a mile? If you're not comfortable putting a child harnessed in the front seat w/o airbags on a regular basis, for long and short trips, then I wouldn't do it even once unless it were an emergency.

That's my non-tech parental opinion for my children, it doesn't mean it's right for anyone else.

niccig

I would just take my child to the park myself.

I forgot to add that I was not there. My friend was looking after DS so I could go to a class.

I think it might be possible to get 3 across in her car, but I'll have to play with all the seats when I have time. I might be able to move her 2 seas over an inch or so, to give room to the Uptown. I've been thinking about a Rider Safe Vest, and that would work in this situation. Once DS is big enough, I might get one, and we'll be able to do 3 across in my car too.

Kat_Momof3

with no airbag... yes

with an airbag... in that situation... yes, if she couldn't stay home and miss the outing, but the airbag would make me try to avoid it more.

if he were rf, it would be another story if there was an airbag.... but again, cause no airbag, I'd still go ahead and do it...

obviously everyone's seat needs to fit and be installed properly, or it's not safe... and it's not ideal, but it's better than someone riding improperly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC