Would you buy a floor model Frontier?

firemomof3

A friend of mine who is the manager of a local high end baby store is selling her floor model Frontier said I could take it for $100 cash :eek: Now, of course I was a skeptical but she said that yes it can be taken down and "tried out" but she never allowed it leave the store. Would you take it?

ADS

heyruthie

yes. for that price, i'd buy it.--provided there was no obvious damage (broken EPS, etc.)

heck, ask her if *I* can buy it for my DS, and pay for shipping.

NannyMom

Personally, I wouldn't. Seats can be abused w/o leaving the store. Just ask A who accidentally ripped the LATCH strap off a Maxi Cosi :whistle:

ZephyrBlue

My first instinct is to say no, but really- what can happen to a seat that isn't taken out of the store? Would she notice if the seat was dropped a large distance? It would be hard to damage a seat just "trying it out" in the store. If it were allowed outside, no way. I guess my final answer is "I don't know"

Helpful, huh? ;)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't. Depending on how close her seats are on the shelves I could see someone trying to pull one down and knocking others off. Do that repeatedly and even if it's just in the store it could have enough damage to make me question its safety.

Wendy

skylinphoto

I wouldn't. Because you never know what happened to it. People do all kinds of crazy things! lol.

(I wouldn't feel right buying it and selling it. But, that's just me.)

If you truly feel okay using it for your own kids, I'd go for it. It's a parental decision, obviously. :)

Splash

BRU, probably not. A baby boutique, sure. If nothing else, use it as an awesome booster (nothing could have possibly been done to it in store that would render it unsafe as a booster unless it was obvious on sight). I'd use it harnessed though with no qualms. Seats take a lot of abuse just in shipping and random installing, it's not like it's been in combat. These things are a lot sturdier than people give them credit for. Besides, even Britax "allows" you to use one after an accident... do you think anything worse than a car accident could have happened to it in her store? Not likely.

ZephyrBlue

These things are a lot sturdier than people give them credit for. Besides, even Britax "allows" you to use one after an accident... do you think anything worse than a car accident could have happened to it in her store? Not likely.

This is an excellent point.

monstah

Probably. I would have to go to the store and use my own judgement taking into consideration things like -

-how far is the fall to the floor
-are the displays easy to play with on the shelf, or do you think they get knocked over easy
-carpet over plywood or concrete, etc.
-peel back the cover and see how the shell looks

Then I'd just let my mommy instinct make the decision.

skipspin

Probably.

I bought my WZ as a floor model a long time ago. It was only 3 months old (per DOM), and had everything except the manual. They matched the lowest internet price I could find making it $70 off. I've never seen ANYONE but myself take a seat out at BRU here, and I agree it would be hard to do anything in a parking lot/store to really hurt it that wouldn't show some visible damage.

I'm sure I've been harder on that seat than anyone in the store ever was.

firemomof3

Well, I took the drive down to check it out. When I got there I looked around and the baby store (a high-end boutique) was soooo nice! When I got to the car seats they were all lined up on a shelf that was about 6 inches off of the floor. They also had a bench seat where you could install the seats and try them out. All the seats were in beautiful condition and I was very comfortable buying the Frontier (dom of 5/08). The only sign of wear is on the cover; it looks like little velcro shoes pulled at the fabric. But I'm very excited! Now, I just have to try and install it....pray for me :rolleyes:

ZephyrBlue

You are definately in my thoughts and prayers- I hate the Frontier install. Give me Regent any day of the week, but don't make me reinstall the Frontier!

Niea

The very fact that she wanted cash only tells me she knows it shouldn't be selling it but is anyway. So no, I wouldn't. Does she have the box and manuals and all that? If it's a seat that came out of a box that wasn't designed to be a model, the store should have kept all that in the back. I'd also call up Britax and check on the registration status and see if it can still be registered. If not, it would just be too many red flags for me to feel comfortable using it.

firemomof3

The very fact that she wanted cash only tells me she knows it shouldn't be selling it but is anyway. So no, I wouldn't. Does she have the box and manuals and all that? If it's a seat that came out of a box that wasn't designed to be a model, the store should have kept all that in the back. I'd also call up Britax and check on the registration status and see if it can still be registered. If not, it would just be too many red flags for me to feel comfortable using it.

She was actually asking $150 for it but I offered $100 cash ;) It came with the manual but no box. That is a good idea though I will call up Britax tomorrow. I do know this person fairly well and so that is why I was comfortable taking the seat...but you do bring up some very good points.

firemomof3

You are definately in my thoughts and prayers- I hate the Frontier install. Give me Regent any day of the week, but don't make me reinstall the Frontier!

Well, the latch install was quick and easy. But the seat belt install....I don't think I will even attempt that tonight!
And oh on a side note...while I was outside in the dark installing the seat my german shepard got sprayed by a skunk :eek: So, off to try and get the smell out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC