Buying used car, which is better for car seats?

Buying used car Grand Prix or Impala, which is better for car seats?

HI,

We are going to be buying a used 07 or 08 Pontiac Gran Prix or a 07 or 08 Chevy Impala LT. This will be my husbands car & we are wanting to be able to fit our 3 boys in it, we currently have a blazer that couldn't fit them all.

Not sure yet how my oldest will fit, he is 9 & 4'10.5" tall, he uses a LBB in my van since the seatbelt fits him wrong so he might be able to pass in a car.

My 5 yr old rides in a Regent even with the 2nd from top slot & my 3 yr old in a MA even with 2nd from top slot. We will get one of them a new seat for the car. We have a spare nautilus now.

My question is which car is better for 3 across & installing car seats? And is there a car seat that can harness my 5 yr old or should I put him in a hbb in the car. He will be 6 in September & he is 44 lbs & is 43" tall. My 3 yr old is 32.5 lbs & 38" tall will be 4 this September (he RF til 3/21/09!!) Oh his MA does expire 5/2010 & the Regent 3/2012.

Thanks for any help!!

Jamie

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

Re: Buying used car Grand Prix or Impala, which is better for car seats?

Any particular reason you want to get one of your boys a new seat at this point, assuming they fit in the vehicle? It sounds like they both have room to grow, and a year before the first one expires.

The new seat will stay in the new car. The Regent will stay in my minivan.

Just wondering if either of these 2 cars are better than the other for installing seats & doing a 3 across.

Pixels

I've heard that the Impala is pretty wide. Can you try out seats in both cars before you buy?

If you're happy with the Nautilus you have, then I suggest getting a second one.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I believe the Pontiac Grand Pix is comparable with the Chevy Impala size-wise (I think they're pretty much corporate siblings in terms of the vehicle platforms used by GM), but I can't say specifically if it has a more or less carseat friendly back seat than the Impala. Ideally you could try out both before buying.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
My sis has the impala. We have been very happy with 3 across in there. The one that would work for you is tb, naut, tb. There van was broke down and had to do this for a couple days.

Other 3 across we have done:
Rf ra, ff ra, tb
Snugride, ff ra, ff ra.
It is not hard to buckle outboard compared to 3 across our 1998 explorer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC