Need recommendations...

ravekiss

DH's cousin's DS is 9 months old and 20lbs and about to outgrow his snugride. I've managed to convince her not to turn him around until he's at least 2 yrs old (she was going FF him at a year since everyone she knows does it...except me of course).

Anyways she doesnt have alot to spend so she wants recommendations on a convertible. She originally told me she's looking to spend $50-$100 and wants a seat that will last him until he doesnt need a seat anymore. :rolleyes: Like thats really gonna happen?!

Anyways what do you guys recommend for her? She definitely wont spring for any of the Britax convertibles.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In that range she should look a the Scenera and the Avenue. I'd go for the Avenue. It may last his torso until he's more booster ready, but she may be convinced in a couple of years to look at a Nautilus type seat (not sure if it'll still be out then), so she can harness longer, but she'll still only need to buy one more seat after the Avenue.

Wendy

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Seats in that price range would be the Evenflo Titan, Safety 1st Uptown, and the Cosco Scenera (there may be others also). I was at Costco a few weeks ago and saw the new Alpha Omega Elite (50 pound seat) for about $89 also. That would be a great seat for her if she can get one, it will harness RF up to 35 pounds (should get the child to age 2 or beyond), FF up to 50 pounds, and then converts to a booster (not a very good booster though). The other seat in that range is the Graco Comfort Sport. The Graco tends to have shorter top slots so may not last as long plus only RFs to 30 pounds. The Titan (which I personally love) harnesses to 50 pounds and RF up to 35. Has lots of padding so is comfortable but again, is outgrown by height a bit sooner than some (not as soon as the CS). The Scenera is the cheapest option and is a good seat with good ratings but does not have any EPS foam and has little padding. It will RF to 35, FF to 40. I'm not very familiar with the Uptown but I know lots of people here love it.

Splash

Avenue is the only one in her price range that I would consider. It will last for a long time as well, and an average sized kid should be able to go from that to a booster. The top slots are really high (high enough, IMO, to warrant a 50 pound rating), but the shoulders will get squished eventually if he's not thin. Regardless, it'll last until he's at least three years old.

scatterbunny

I agree, the Avenue is the best bet in that price range. If the kiddo hits 40# early (before age 4-5), she'll need another harnessed seat, but if the kiddo isn't 40# until 4-5, she might be able to get away with the Avenue being the only harnessed seat she needs to buy. It has really tall top slots for a 40# seat, so most kids will make it to the full 40# without getting too tall. The Scenera will be outgrown much sooner, by height, and is pretty bare-bones overall.

If she can spare $20-$30 more, I'd really encourage her to look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance, as long as she doesn't mind the red tabs on the harness/neck, and the fact that you can't remove the harness from the seat to clean it. It will last longer than the Avenue because it has taller top slots and a higher harnessed weight limit.

Oh, and there's also the sale-priced Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe from Albee Baby. That's made by Britax, based on their 65# convertibles (similar to Decathlon, since it has no LATCH bars), but it goes to 55# (most kids outgrow the top slot height around 40-55 pounds anyway). They are all late 2007 DOM, last I heard, so they would expire in about 4.5 years, but that should get him over age 5, at least. My dd was 20# at 9mo, too, and outgrew the Marathon by 4.5, so I don't think the FPSVD would expire too soon to make it worth it.

My top pick would probably be a toss-up between the Avenue and FPSVD, depending on if she can easily reach/use the Avenue harness adjuster. If that proves to be a problem for her, I think the FPSVD is the way to go.

U

Unregistered

I convinced her to get the Evenflo Triumph Advance. Now to find it on sale somewhere!

ravekiss

Ok I have no idea why my previous post didnt show up but I convinced her to buy an Evenflo Triumph Advance...now I gotta go look for one on sale. Thanks guys.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC