Twisting the seat belt stalks

twinsmom

I learned this trick on this site, and it has helped me with my latest installation (thanks!). I'm just wondering why it is safe to twist the stalk, but not safe to have the seatbelt twisted elsewhere, or the harness twisted.

ADS

Pixels

You can twist the seatbelt stalk, the seatbelt itself, but not the harness.

Twisting the belt temporarily weakens it some. (It's no longer weakened when you untwist it.) Twisting the belt stalk lowers the buckle, getting it out of the way of the belt path on some seats/vehicles. There's usually no reason to twist the seatbelt itself, other than one half twist to help with slipping lightweight locking latchplates. The vehicle seatbelt is designed to hold a 600 pound person, so the approximately 50% that three full twists reduces the strength isn't a concern when installing a carseat. There's still more than adequate strength.

Twisting the harness straps, or the seatbelt on a passenger (adult or boostered chil) is a no-no because one of the main ways it protects the person is by spreading the crash forces out over a larger area. Think about it this way: Would you rather be restrained by a nice, flat harness, or a rope, or (super-strong) dental floss? Something as thin as the floss would likely just cut the body. Also, it has to do with the twisting weakening the webbing. The harness on a carseat is NOT strong enough to hold a 600 pound man. If you want it to hold the weight it was tested to hold, it needs to not be twisted.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Right, when the seatbelt is what keeps the occupant in the seat (vehicle seat or booster seat) then only the stalk can be twisted (which might only be necessary if one needs to hide the release button) because the webbing must be flat & snug on the body so the crash force is distributed evenly. Harnesses should never be twisted, but the seatbelt can be twisted if it's merely locking in the carseat.

We usually only twist the buckle stalk because it's the easiest to do correctly. However, I do sometimes teach parents to flip lap belts upside down to keep them locked -- if twisting the buckle stalk still doesn't solve the problem (of the latch plate being perpendicular to the belt, preventing it from locking).

I was taught that we try the buckle stalk first, then perhaps the belt, but never more than 3 full turns in total (so, for example, the buckle stalk could be twisted 2.5 turns + the belt 1/2 twist, if necessary)

Twisting is like a last resort option to begin with, though, so doing funky combinations of twisting is not encouraged, not unless perhaps a CPST can find no other safe method of installation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC