The Roundabout just does not fit my child, what gives?

Splash

The Roundabout just does not fit my child, what gives? Updated with pictures

Remember, I sold the Priori (carseat love of my life) because my kid hated it. I moved him to a BV which he liked, but I wanted something smaller for now and I couldn't deal with the headwings anymore. So I got him a RA and sold the BV (though it hasn't been picked up yet) with the intent to move him into a MA when he outgrows the RA.
The RA doesn't fit him. It just doesn't.

First off, the crotch strap is so tight around his fat little legs that it digs, bad. I took it out of my car because he actually had a bruise. Now I put it back in more reclined to see if that will help. But the straps won't stay on his shoulders.

He's *barely* above the bottom slots, maybe half an inch. But the straps slide off his shoulders. I can't keep them on. Tight harness, correct chest clip, but they won't stay. They slide right off. I'd move them up and have them above his shoulders, but the fit of the hip straps is so cruddy on him that I am not comfortable with that.

I really don't want to move him into the MA for now. I thought about just putting the BV back in since she's never come to pick it up. I want the RA to work though! Waah!

Any ideas? Do you think the recline angle will help at all? I had it VERY upright, but I just put it in really reclined, I thought it was even *too* reclined, but it's not. It's almost at the max, though. I haven't ridden him in it since changing it. His little leg appears all better, but if it is still hurting him, I don't have a choice.

what gives? This is supposed to be the most fabu seat in all the world, and it is just NOT working for this kid. Why are his little legs so darn fat?

Updated with pictures post 15

Last edited:
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That RA just remembers how much you hated it's grandpa, and it's seeking it's revenge, I think. If that's the case, I suggest never buying another Odyssey :eek:

Sigh, I wish I knew what to tell you to try. Too bad you didn't hang onto the MC...kids will hate something one day and love it the next and your outta luck if you aren't patient, sometimes :(

Splash

See, the MCP I think had the same fit problem. That's why he hated it. And it bent him weird. So does the RA. I really think he only handled the BV because of the infant insert. It doesn't bend him weird then.

Splash

Yeah, I'll do that... eventually. Probably 18 minutes after I light it on fire out of frustration.

ZephyrBlue

Sorry, your kid is just weird. Seriously, I've never heard of a baby who didn't fit like a dream in the RA.

What a bi$ch to deal with, sorry Splash. Hope you can get something figured out for him. I can't remember- have you tried the TF? He's a chunky guy and the interior of that seat is so roomy. Plus, the angle of the inside of the seat is so vastly different than the Britax convertibles that it's not even funny.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yeah, I'll do that... eventually. Probably 18 minutes after I light it on fire out of frustration.

I'm actually being serious. I'm not just trolling for pics of adorable baby Sam. :D

I've seen some really fat babies in the RA, and I don't get why he isn't fitting. Is the seatbelt or LATCH strap going behind the crotch strap? Are the hip strap ends through both the slot in the seat AND the triangle holes just above the base? Does this child have the muscles of a pole-vaulter? Really, I just don't understand!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If the hip straps are making bruises, and the shoulder straps won't stay on, it sounds like the harness is just plain too tight. Remember, this is a Roundabout. The adjuster is E-A-S-Y, easy. Pull it tight, then hit the button to release any excess pressure, and check to see if you can pinch any slack. If not, it's tight enough.

Also, make sure he's centered in the seat. I have a lot of trouble keeping the shoulder straps on Kira when she's even the slightest bit crooked, and because I'm standing on the ground outside the car, and she's up relatively high in the captain's chair of the Odyssey, it can be hard to tell if she's in there straight or not until the trouble starts.

Splash

I took a lot of pictures last night but didn't upload them. I also noticed (which I didn't before because I never really paid attention) the HUGE gap between him and the harness across his chest and belly. I know it can be loose, but loose enough for me to fit my entire forearm? There is also a lot of room between the hip straps on the side and his legs.
I'll post pictures of it later. I know the harness isn't too tight, though. And I do have to make sure he's completely centered.
I thought about getting him a diplomat, but I have a BV and I'm getting rid of the BV to avoid the head wings. But the BV really fit him better than anything else, I'm such a dolt! I suppose I could offer the lady this RA for cheap and keep my BV, but I have a MA. I actually tried him in the MA last night, in the house. Upright, harness at the top (since it's still strung for Charlie), and he fit so much better in the MA even in that situation. I think the problem I'm having with the RA is the same that I had with the MCP- the crotch strap is so far away that he is slouching a LOT. I've tried putting something between him and the crotch strap, but not working out. I could try the BV infant insert in the RA and just see if it improves the fit, but I wouldn't want to actually use it.

And we had the same leg problem with the TF, fat fat FAT baby thighs. I couldn't even do up the crotch buckle with the infant insert, and without it I didn't like his fit in the seat at all.

arly1983

Sorry, your kid is just weird. Seriously, I've never heard of a baby who didn't fit like a dream in the RA.

My baby doesn't fit well either and he is the opposite build of Sam. Tall, narrow, with chicken legs. We get the big gaps at the hips and above the tummy. He will slide sidewise and one shoulder will come out from under the shoulder straps. He is slightly above the bottom slots. I might come back with pics later if I have time.

Splash

Okay, this is how it was before (well, second before). I think it's a bit too reclined so I made it more upright. I do love the ease of install with the belt, at least. See the gap over the belly? Straps are tight.

3470366107_dce72605d8_m.jpg

More obvious here
3470366245_2de2c076ee_m.jpg

Coming off the shoulders. It will only stay on one shoulder at a time, never both.
3471181214_5e307e6936_m.jpg

Side gap. Again, the harness is properly tightened
3471181422_17e9d08616_m.jpg

See the thighs?
3471181706_4c610abfa1_m.jpg

More thighs
3470367109_19afa72e9f_m.jpg

Installed more upright. Again, see the gap over the belly?
3470367341_6dcbbfeec6_m.jpg

Another angle/belly gap shot
3470367485_4bb74234a2_m.jpg

Full body shot (strap slipping off the other shoulder now)
3470365935_6d837f3ba6_m.jpg

And, just a cute shot
3471180710_3099867666_m.jpg

Sooo... whaddya think?

mommaon112903

I think he is such a cutie is what I think :D Those thighs of his, how precious!

But you are right, he just does not fit well in the RA :(

ZephyrBlue

He flat out doesn't fit.

I could eat him up, though. Seriously. Why, oh why can't I have a baby with thighs like that? Just once??!!! Goodness, he's precious. Glad to see that he spends at least a few minutes a day not crying :)

Sceason1972

What a cute, chunky guy!!!

It does look like he slouches in the seat, which contributes to the problems. Did the seat come with a belly pad? Using that would help with leg/buckle comfort and might force him to sit differently too. I remember really needing to make sure my babes had there butt scooched into their seats or they did not fit right.

Splash

Goodness, he's precious. Glad to see that he spends at least a few minutes a day not crying :)

Sam gets Prevacid now:bow::bow::bow:, and sleeps half the night in the living room in his playpen. Last night he slept from ~9-3:30 straight! :jaw:

Yeah, he doesn't fit :(. Dang it. Now I have to put him in the MA or find a way to keep my BV. Think he'll grow into it? This was the same problem we had with the MCP, but he flat out HATED that seat. He doesn't hate this one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC