Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Fed. Law keeps Volvo from offering safer child seats

I know this is probably a stupid question, but why is Volvo allowed to make boosters but not other seats? I know they have a booster available through Volvo dealers, and I saw it mentioned in some list of 10 best boosters, or something like that. So why is a booster okay but not a harnessed seat? I know the booster seat is not "installed" in the car so to speak, so is that the difference?
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Oh, my, there is NO comparison, the Frontier is a breeze compared to the Breverra.

NHTSA's response on CPSPList is this, btw...

"To clarify some erroneous statements which have appeared regarding child restraints produced in conjunction with Volvo:

NHTSA's FMVSS 213 standardizes the means of attachment, not fit. More specifically:

Standard 213 does standardize the means of attachment of child restraints, and in that way, prohibits vehicle-specific seats. The requirement is for child seats to be capable of attaching to the vehicle seat by a seat belt and by LATCH. The restraint can't attach only by a special mechanism that only specific vehicles have. However, if they are able to attach by a seat belt and by LATCH they can have a supplementary (vehicle-specific) attachment mechanism in addition to those universal means of attachment.

The reason for requiring a standardized means of attachment is to reduce the likelihood of misuse. We want to avoid the situation of a consumer acquiring a vehicle-specific child seat that can't attach universally and then trying to use it in the wrong vehicle. "

But what I'm not understanding then is what special attachment situation are these 'Volvo' Britaxes utilizing? They need a belt or LATCH, so.... color me confused until someone spells this out for me....
    I may be wrong here but it says seat belt AND LATCH. Is is possible the seats DON'T use latch? If it is the MT I read through the instruction manual recently and didn't remember seeing any instructions for LATCH or ISOFIX.
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bree View Post
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but why is Volvo allowed to make boosters but not other seats? I know they have a booster available through Volvo dealers, and I saw it mentioned in some list of 10 best boosters, or something like that. So why is a booster okay but not a harnessed seat? I know the booster seat is not "installed" in the car so to speak, so is that the difference?
    And my above post may explain why boosters are okay but not the infant or convertible.
    If I'm here tell me to get back to writing
    Writing, dreaming, homeschooling mom to Beth, 10-03, and Ciara, 6-06
    http://dreamingatthesouthdam.wordpress.com/

I just did a mini rant on why carseats and car manufacturers are so out of sync. Personally I'd love to see a car specific carseat available for every car, it doesn't have to replace the universal ones, but since its the law to use them I really think they should be able to be purchased with the car. I suspect a lot more misuse occurs from people trying to put carseats that don't fit well in their car in than would happen with people moving their car brand specific carseat to another car. At least in the latter situation it would clearly say what cars it was to be used in. I know so many people who have bought a carseat for their car and it didn't fit the right way so they put it in incorrectly instead. (things like using the latch connectors on parts that weren't latch anchors or just passing the seat belt around the front of the seat like it was a booster). I don't think a lot of people check to see what car seats fit their cars they just go buy a cute carseat or a cheap one or whatever their criteria is, and then if it doesn't install according to the manual in their car they put it in however it will go in.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    "

But what I'm not understanding then is what special attachment situation are these 'Volvo' Britaxes utilizing? They need a belt or LATCH, so.... color me confused until someone spells this out for me....
    My guess would be the rf'ing tether situation. Volvo has rf'ing tether anchors on the front seats whereas other North American vehicles don't. Perhaps Volvo is only willing to back their dedicated anchors for rf tethering of these seats?
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

For the RFing convertible, it could be the footprop. The current FMVSS test bench/sled has no floor to put a footprop on. I don't know if the infant only seat would have the footprop or not.

I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to get the booster approved.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Thumbs down Volvo introduces ERF car seats for their vehicles , up to 6 yrs old

Volvo introduces ERF car seats for their vehicles , that can accomodate children up to 6 yrs old, rear facing.

But NHTSA has banned its sales in the USA!!

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/re...ar_seats.shtml

http://www.allgov.com/ViewNews/NHTSA...ar_Seats_90425

Grandpa is not happy about this!!

http://www.joelsjourney.org/

Carseat Crazy

Re: Volvo introduces ERF car seats for their vehicles , up to 6 yrs old

The NHTSA recommends that children only need to ride in the backseat, rearward-facing up to the age of 1. According to U.S. rules, toddlers and older children should ride in backseat forward-facing toddler seats or booster seats.
    Diana, Mommy To:
    Kolin [5.5.04]-Ava [12.13.05]-Aden [2.18.09]

That's not true at all. NHTSA recommends ERF'ing.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Grandpa, I understand why you're not happy. But it's still a limited number of children the seat can help (though yes, saving 1 child is better than 0) if the seat can only be used in 1 manufacturer's car.

The ERF seat looks alot like the ones people are importing now. The currently imported seats are able to be used in non-volvo cars (because they are no Volvo made). So, why can't Volvo make these seats to be used in any car?

With the new Graco seat coming out, America is headed in the right direction. Maybe if it sells really well, other seat manufacturers will follow suit. (DO you hear me Britax, First Years and SKJP?!)
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

The NHTSA recommends that children only need to ride in the backseat, rearward-facing up to the age of 1. According to U.S. rules, toddlers and older children should ride in backseat forward-facing toddler seats or booster seats.
    What about the new AAP recommendations??

According to Volvo, children have weaker necks and their heads are proportionately larger than adults’. When children ride rearward-facing, the impact on a child during a collision is spread out.
    (Bolding mine.) Yeah... because Volvo is the only one who's ever stated that.
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Jo View Post
    What about the new AAP recommendations??

NHTSA writes the CPST training course. Trust me, they promote ERF.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has banned the sale of these child seats in the U.S. because federal laws stipulate that child seats must fit in all car models and cannot be vehicle-specific.
    This isn't quite true. Federal laws stipulate that the carseat must attach to the vehicle in the following ways: lap belt only, lap belt plus top tether, lower anchors only, lower anchors plust top tether. The intent is that the restraints be as universal as possible, but we know that not every carseat fits in every vehicle.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Just bumping this up due to renewed interest. The threads maybe be merged at some point to keep things together.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

LuciaBella

What I don't get is why they have installed the seats in the front passenger with airbags...??

CPS Technician

Mods please let me know if I can not post it. i will take it down.

This is a c&p from the cps list on yahoo.

I am posting this message on behalf of my colleague, Carole Guzzetta.
    Please direct comments to her directly at carole.guzzetta@....

To clarify some erroneous statements which have appeared regarding child
    restraints produced in conjunction with Volvo:

NHTSA's FMVSS 213 standardizes the means of attachment, not fit. More
    specifically:

Standard 213 does standardize the means of attachment of child restraints, and
    in that way, prohibits vehicle-specific seats. The requirement is for child
    seats to be capable of attaching to the vehicle seat by a seat belt and by
    LATCH. The restraint can't attach only by a special mechanism that only
    specific vehicles have. However, if they are able to attach by a seat belt and
    by LATCH they can have a supplementary (vehicle-specific) attachment mechanism
    in addition to those universal means of attachment.

The reason for requiring a standardized means of attachment is to reduce the
    likelihood of misuse. We want to avoid the situation of a consumer acquiring a
    vehicle-specific child seat that can't attach universally and then trying to use
    it in the wrong vehicle.

Hope this information is helpful. Thank you.
    Kristin
    Darlene Shayn 12/06 38 lbs ff MA and ff EFTA.
    Cooper Allen edd 01/11 Chicco Key fit 30 and maybe CCO

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    The ERF seat looks alot like the ones people are importing now. The currently imported seats are able to be used in non-volvo cars (because they are no Volvo made). So, why can't Volvo make these seats to be used in any car?
    Um, yeah, that Volvo seat IS a multitech. I would need some serious proof to believe its not:

Volvo:

Multitech:

And I strongly suspect that the "Volvo" booster is a Monarch:
    Volvo:

Monarch:

So as sad as it continues to be that we don't have Swedish seats in North America, I don't think that this is "new" news. Volvo tried to rig up a Multitech so it'd be the most rockin' US convertable in the country, and tried to make it somewhat brand-specific so they could corner the market with the only US seat that rf's so long, and "they" didn't let it fly. If Volvo is so gung-ho about promoting child passenger safety in the US, why not just slap a Volvo label on the multitech, and market it for use in all US cars?
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing... and now that you've put up the pics, I can't even tell a difference between them. Even the buckle looks identical.

I wonder if Britax designed them for Volvo like they did with the FPSVD??
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

Senior Community Member horsesitaly's Avatar

There was an article in our TV guide (strange place for a car seat article it seems lol) and it said that "Volvo Cars worked closely with Britax Romer, world-renowned in child safety equipment." So I don't doubt they are the same seats! They picture the infant seat and the booster. This is in the May 2009 R&R TV AFN, Cable, and Satellite. web site is http://www.rrmagazine.com Not sure how the web site is, if it has the mag on line the article starts on May 2009 Shoppers News Mediterranian 5 (like an advertising insert, not the actual page 5 lol).
    Nancy
    CPST
    5/24/99 ds seatbelt, 12/9/00 ds seatbelt, 10/24/03 dd seatbelt or Graco backless AirBooster in a 2006 Mazda5 or 2011 Ford F-150 crew cab

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NannyMom View Post
    With the new Graco seat coming out, America is headed in the right direction. Maybe if it sells really well, other seat manufacturers will follow suit. (DO you hear me Britax, First Years and SKJP?!)
    Meanwhile, Volvo had a RF to 40 lb seat back in 2001 in Europe! Volvo owners weren't allowed to use the seat in the US. Now Volvo has a RF to 55 lb. Maybe 8-10 years from now, Graco, et al will follow suit. Until then, I guess I'll take comfort in the knowledge that all seats currently sold in the US are "universal" and fit in all vehicles. Or whatever.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!