News Fed. Law keeps Volvo from offering safer child seats

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I know this is probably a stupid question, but why is Volvo allowed to make boosters but not other seats? I know they have a booster available through Volvo dealers, and I saw it mentioned in some list of 10 best boosters, or something like that. So why is a booster okay but not a harnessed seat? I know the booster seat is not "installed" in the car so to speak, so is that the difference?

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

Oh, my, there is NO comparison, the Frontier is a breeze compared to the Breverra.

NHTSA's response on CPSPList is this, btw...

"To clarify some erroneous statements which have appeared regarding child restraints produced in conjunction with Volvo:

NHTSA's FMVSS 213 standardizes the means of attachment, not fit. More specifically:

Standard 213 does standardize the means of attachment of child restraints, and in that way, prohibits vehicle-specific seats. The requirement is for child seats to be capable of attaching to the vehicle seat by a seat belt and by LATCH. The restraint can't attach only by a special mechanism that only specific vehicles have. However, if they are able to attach by a seat belt and by LATCH they can have a supplementary (vehicle-specific) attachment mechanism in addition to those universal means of attachment.

The reason for requiring a standardized means of attachment is to reduce the likelihood of misuse. We want to avoid the situation of a consumer acquiring a vehicle-specific child seat that can't attach universally and then trying to use it in the wrong vehicle. "

But what I'm not understanding then is what special attachment situation are these 'Volvo' Britaxes utilizing? They need a belt or LATCH, so.... color me confused until someone spells this out for me....

I may be wrong here but it says seat belt AND LATCH. Is is possible the seats DON'T use latch? If it is the MT I read through the instruction manual recently and didn't remember seeing any instructions for LATCH or ISOFIX.

AtTheSouthDam

I know this is probably a stupid question, but why is Volvo allowed to make boosters but not other seats? I know they have a booster available through Volvo dealers, and I saw it mentioned in some list of 10 best boosters, or something like that. So why is a booster okay but not a harnessed seat? I know the booster seat is not "installed" in the car so to speak, so is that the difference?

And my above post may explain why boosters are okay but not the infant or convertible.

spryngtree

I just did a mini rant on why carseats and car manufacturers are so out of sync. Personally I'd love to see a car specific carseat available for every car, it doesn't have to replace the universal ones, but since its the law to use them I really think they should be able to be purchased with the car. I suspect a lot more misuse occurs from people trying to put carseats that don't fit well in their car in than would happen with people moving their car brand specific carseat to another car. At least in the latter situation it would clearly say what cars it was to be used in. I know so many people who have bought a carseat for their car and it didn't fit the right way so they put it in incorrectly instead. (things like using the latch connectors on parts that weren't latch anchors or just passing the seat belt around the front of the seat like it was a booster). I don't think a lot of people check to see what car seats fit their cars they just go buy a cute carseat or a cheap one or whatever their criteria is, and then if it doesn't install according to the manual in their car they put it in however it will go in.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
"

But what I'm not understanding then is what special attachment situation are these 'Volvo' Britaxes utilizing? They need a belt or LATCH, so.... color me confused until someone spells this out for me....

My guess would be the rf'ing tether situation. Volvo has rf'ing tether anchors on the front seats whereas other North American vehicles don't. Perhaps Volvo is only willing to back their dedicated anchors for rf tethering of these seats?

Pixels

For the RFing convertible, it could be the footprop. The current FMVSS test bench/sled has no floor to put a footprop on. I don't know if the infant only seat would have the footprop or not.

I have no idea why they wouldn't be able to get the booster approved.

luv2bfishin

Calideedle

Re: Volvo introduces ERF car seats for their vehicles , up to 6 yrs old

The NHTSA recommends that children only need to ride in the backseat, rearward-facing up to the age of 1. According to U.S. rules, toddlers and older children should ride in backseat forward-facing toddler seats or booster seats.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

That's not true at all. NHTSA recommends ERF'ing.

NannyMom

Grandpa, I understand why you're not happy. But it's still a limited number of children the seat can help (though yes, saving 1 child is better than 0) if the seat can only be used in 1 manufacturer's car.

The ERF seat looks alot like the ones people are importing now. The currently imported seats are able to be used in non-volvo cars (because they are no Volvo made). So, why can't Volvo make these seats to be used in any car?

With the new Graco seat coming out, America is headed in the right direction. Maybe if it sells really well, other seat manufacturers will follow suit. (DO you hear me Britax, First Years and SKJP?!)

Mama Jo

The NHTSA recommends that children only need to ride in the backseat, rearward-facing up to the age of 1. According to U.S. rules, toddlers and older children should ride in backseat forward-facing toddler seats or booster seats.

:thumbsdown: What about the new AAP recommendations??

According to Volvo, children have weaker necks and their heads are proportionately larger than adults’. When children ride rearward-facing, the impact on a child during a collision is spread out.

(Bolding mine.) Yeah... because Volvo is the only one who's ever stated that. :rolleyes:

Pixels

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has banned the sale of these child seats in the U.S. because federal laws stipulate that child seats must fit in all car models and cannot be vehicle-specific.
This isn't quite true. Federal laws stipulate that the carseat must attach to the vehicle in the following ways: lap belt only, lap belt plus top tether, lower anchors only, lower anchors plust top tether. The intent is that the restraints be as universal as possible, but we know that not every carseat fits in every vehicle.

L

LuciaBella

What I don't get is why they have installed the seats in the front passenger with airbags...??

kmcenery

Mods please let me know if I can not post it. i will take it down.

This is a c&p from the cps list on yahoo.

I am posting this message on behalf of my colleague, Carole Guzzetta.
Please direct comments to her directly at carole.guzzetta@....

To clarify some erroneous statements which have appeared regarding child
restraints produced in conjunction with Volvo:

NHTSA's FMVSS 213 standardizes the means of attachment, not fit. More
specifically:

Standard 213 does standardize the means of attachment of child restraints, and
in that way, prohibits vehicle-specific seats. The requirement is for child
seats to be capable of attaching to the vehicle seat by a seat belt and by
LATCH. The restraint can't attach only by a special mechanism that only
specific vehicles have. However, if they are able to attach by a seat belt and
by LATCH they can have a supplementary (vehicle-specific) attachment mechanism
in addition to those universal means of attachment.

The reason for requiring a standardized means of attachment is to reduce the
likelihood of misuse. We want to avoid the situation of a consumer acquiring a
vehicle-specific child seat that can't attach universally and then trying to use
it in the wrong vehicle.

Hope this information is helpful. Thank you.

April

The ERF seat looks alot like the ones people are importing now. The currently imported seats are able to be used in non-volvo cars (because they are no Volvo made). So, why can't Volvo make these seats to be used in any car?

Um, yeah, that Volvo seat IS a multitech. I would need some serious proof to believe its not:

Volvo:
VolvoSeat.jpg

Multitech:
Multitech.jpg

And I strongly suspect that the "Volvo" booster is a Monarch:
Volvo:
VolvoBooster.jpg

Monarch:
Monarch.gif

So as sad as it continues to be that we don't have Swedish seats in North America, I don't think that this is "new" news. Volvo tried to rig up a Multitech so it'd be the most rockin' US convertable in the country, and tried to make it somewhat brand-specific so they could corner the market with the only US seat that rf's so long, and "they" didn't let it fly. If Volvo is so gung-ho about promoting child passenger safety in the US, why not just slap a Volvo label on the multitech, and market it for use in all US cars?

Mama Jo

I was thinking the same thing... and now that you've put up the pics, I can't even tell a difference between them. Even the buckle looks identical.

I wonder if Britax designed them for Volvo like they did with the FPSVD??

horsesitaly

Senior Community Member

There was an article in our TV guide (strange place for a car seat article it seems lol) and it said that "Volvo Cars worked closely with Britax Romer, world-renowned in child safety equipment." So I don't doubt they are the same seats! They picture the infant seat and the booster. This is in the May 2009 R&R TV AFN, Cable, and Satellite. web site is http://www.rrmagazine.com Not sure how the web site is, if it has the mag on line the article starts on May 2009 Shoppers News Mediterranian 5 (like an advertising insert, not the actual page 5 lol).

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus

With the new Graco seat coming out, America is headed in the right direction. Maybe if it sells really well, other seat manufacturers will follow suit. (DO you hear me Britax, First Years and SKJP?!)

Meanwhile, Volvo had a RF to 40 lb seat back in 2001 in Europe! Volvo owners weren't allowed to use the seat in the US. Now Volvo has a RF to 55 lb. Maybe 8-10 years from now, Graco, et al will follow suit. Until then, I guess I'll take comfort in the knowledge that all seats currently sold in the US are "universal" and fit in all vehicles. Or whatever. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC