Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    CPS Fanatic

Re: Fed. Law keeps Volvo from offering safer child seats

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    Both seats are RF in the front, I wonder if Volvo disables the airbag if you purchase the seat. I can't imagine RF anyone in the front, let alone putting a child in the front period. But I love those seats.
    european cars come with switches for the front airbags, so you can have your own control of them. here in the US, the gov't takes the stance that we are all idiots and wouldn't know if they are on or off . therefore in the US, cars are required to have sensors (which rarely work correctly) to sense the presence of a child in the seat . since the sensors are notoriously unreliable, it is not recommended to have a carseat in the front. it is quite normal and common for carseats to be used in the front in sweden and other EU countries, and it is considered safe there.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Okay, so if the compatibility issue is the airbag thing... How about make it an option to brace on the front seat if you're in the back (as long as the car doesn't prohibit it?)

That would solve that problem and make it so the seat could fit "all" cars (yes, there are some it couldn't, but there are also seats that don't fit in other cars because they take up too much room, etc., strikes me as the same kind of thing.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Oh boy, someone PLEASE correct some of those uneducated comments! The Canadian says that we have a law all across Canada that kids have to be in a booster until 4'9"/80 lbs/8 years, uh sorry, that is not Canada wide but I'm guessing this guy thinks that Ontario is the only province in Canada. And he said most Canadian vehicles have a key to turn off the air bag. Huh? The only Canadian vehicles I've seen with a key for the airbag are moving trucks with only a front seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
    The Porche Marathon my friend had a pretty plain cover with a porche patch on it like the college covers. The thing that got me it that it had no LATCH!
    That's disappointing. You'd at least have thought they'd let Porsche Design do a new cover

I wish volvo would simply approve the seats for use in other cars... do they not see that every single person on this board with a child who could still rearface in it would be after that gorgeous convertible seat from Sweden?

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    . here in the US, the gov't takes the stance that we are all idiots and wouldn't know if they are on or off . .
    have you met most people??? I'm not so sure the gov't is wrong on this one.....

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
    i might have to agree with you there . but still, i consider that to be a nanny-device that potentially does more harm than good.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post

You speak the truth!

i might have to agree with you there . but still, i consider that to be a nanny-device that potentially does more harm than good.
    Potentially does more harm than good? Yes, in some cases. Overall? I don't think so.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by pixels99 View Post
    Potentially does more harm than good? Yes, in some cases. Overall? I don't think so.
    hard to say.

on the one hand, it's purpose is to prevent airbags from deploying when a child is seated. that's good. would a switch accomplish this? yes.

on the other hand, they rarely work, and there have been cases where light adults seated in the seat trigger the deactivation, rendering the airbag useless. and vice versa-- kids seated in the seat and the airbag is still active. that's bad. would a switch prevent both of these scenarios? yes.

additionally, because of the unreliability, it's not safe to put a child there, simply for the "what if" situation. would a switch overcome this? yes.

therefore, IMHO the sensors are doing more harm than good.

basically, it's not rocket science. vehicle operators have to have a modicum of competence to know if a switch is on or off. else they should not be driving.

on the other hand, they rarely work, and there have been cases where light adults seated in the seat trigger the deactivation, rendering the airbag useless. and vice versa-- kids seated in the seat and the airbag is still active. that's bad. would a switch prevent both of these scenarios? yes.
    My Ford Escape was BAD for this. At 105 pounds, the air bag sensor would flicker on then off, on then off, on then off, on then off for the entire trip. They said it was because I was on the "edge" of the limit for when the sensor turned off, at 105 pounds. I was told to ride with sack of potatoes (yes, Ford seriously told me that). They later issued a TSB to lower the threshold weight, the TSB was applied to my vehicle, and it did NOTHING for me, the issue remained the same and the air bag would fluctuate between on and off when I was a passenger. I felt terrible unsafe as I was unsure if I would have an air bag in an accident. Even when I was pregnant and weighed 120 pounds, the light still flickered.

The really sucky thing? An emergency required us to transport our, at the time, 70 pound 9 year old and the air bag turned ON for her, did not fluctuate, never went off. Yet for me, at anywhere between 105 pounds and 125 pounds, it fluctuated between on and off.

Apparently she sits differently enough, or had a different enough body shape, so that the force she placed on the sensor was more than my body. Crazy. And shows how unreliable these sensors are.

CPS Advocate

The sensor in our Ford Freestar is supposedly set for 40 pounds. However, Bean the First at more than 40 lbs plus his installed Graco Nautilus (now we're pushing 60 pounds), triggered the disengage. Those sensors are very unreliable.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    My Ford Escape was BAD for this. At 105 pounds, the air bag sensor would flicker on then off, on then off, on then off, on then off for the entire trip. They said it was because I was on the "edge" of the limit for when the sensor turned off, at 105 pounds. I was told to ride with sack of potatoes (yes, Ford seriously told me that). They later issued a TSB to lower the threshold weight, the TSB was applied to my vehicle, and it did NOTHING for me, the issue remained the same and the air bag would fluctuate between on and off when I was a passenger. I felt terrible unsafe as I was unsure if I would have an air bag in an accident. Even when I was pregnant and weighed 120 pounds, the light still flickered.

The really sucky thing? An emergency required us to transport our, at the time, 70 pound 9 year old and the air bag turned ON for her, did not fluctuate, never went off. Yet for me, at anywhere between 105 pounds and 125 pounds, it fluctuated between on and off.

Apparently she sits differently enough, or had a different enough body shape, so that the force she placed on the sensor was more than my body. Crazy. And shows how unreliable these sensors are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    The sensor in our Ford Freestar is supposedly set for 40 pounds. However, Bean the First at more than 40 lbs plus his installed Graco Nautilus (now we're pushing 60 pounds), triggered the disengage. Those sensors are very unreliable.
    so would both of you agree that a simple toggle switch would be far superior to these idiotic sensors? <sarcasm> but nooooooooo.... that would be unsafe in the eyes of whoever mandates those sensors... we can't rely on humans, now, can we... </sarcasm>.

Ha, yeah instead we have all these people who know they have a sensor and think it's ok to put baby's carseat in the front seat since, you know, the air bag is turned off and all .
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

oh yeah... I don't know what the sensor in dh's car is (2007 cobalt) set to, but it doesn't take much to activate it (it automatically isn't until there is a certain amount of weight)... but I know that either of my boys, once they were over 50-60lbs, in the lightest (cosco high rise/ambassador/auto) backless booster on the market could activate it.

At least there is a very noticeable OFF/ON set of signals on the front console that let you know if it's on... and boy is it easy to notice... they are a good 3/4-1" apart.

Obviously, I wouldn't put a child in the front unless I had to anyway... but aside from worrying about it failing, I think it's just silly that in such a small car, they don't just provide a keyhole for disabling it when needed, like what I've seen shown in European small cars.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

NHTSA has mandated that child seats cannot be vehicle-specific... every seat must fit every car
    Two words: Century Breverra.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
    Two words: Century Breverra.
    lol...or it's fresh,younger sibling, the Britax Frontier.
    seriously? who puts the beltpath THERE???

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Oh, my, there is NO comparison, the Frontier is a breeze compared to the Breverra.

NHTSA's response on CPSPList is this, btw...

"To clarify some erroneous statements which have appeared regarding child restraints produced in conjunction with Volvo:

NHTSA's FMVSS 213 standardizes the means of attachment, not fit. More specifically:

Standard 213 does standardize the means of attachment of child restraints, and in that way, prohibits vehicle-specific seats. The requirement is for child seats to be capable of attaching to the vehicle seat by a seat belt and by LATCH. The restraint can't attach only by a special mechanism that only specific vehicles have. However, if they are able to attach by a seat belt and by LATCH they can have a supplementary (vehicle-specific) attachment mechanism in addition to those universal means of attachment.

The reason for requiring a standardized means of attachment is to reduce the likelihood of misuse. We want to avoid the situation of a consumer acquiring a vehicle-specific child seat that can't attach universally and then trying to use it in the wrong vehicle. "

But what I'm not understanding then is what special attachment situation are these 'Volvo' Britaxes utilizing? They need a belt or LATCH, so.... color me confused until someone spells this out for me....
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I'm confused as well, and wondering if these Volvo carseats utilize something special to deactivate the front passenger side airbag, similar to those Porsche carseats that had a key or connector of some sort designed to plug into certain specific Porsche 2-seater cars to deactivate the front airbag?
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    Count my Ford Freestart in too. That sensor drives me bonkers.

What REALLY irks me was that I HAD to drive 3.5 hrs with Seth in the car with only me the other day. It would have helped me tremendously to be able to see his screaming butt without have to focus through two mirrors while driving but I didn't trust the sensor so he stayed in the back.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,