Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Fed. Law keeps Volvo from offering safer child seats

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Fed. Law keeps Volvo from offering safer child seats

Gov't beauracracy at its finest.

However, this has me thinking. Porsche offers a car seat. I'm pretty sure I remember Mercedes offering their own as well. I didn't know about this rule and I thought those seats were specific to those manufacturers.

Now, I'm wondering what kind of seats they are and if they're any good. Admittedly it's stupid, but a big part of why I got the Recaro was for the racy Recaro name and looks (ok, the looks aren't too racy, but better than most). A Porsche branded seat (even if made by Recaro)....

The booster looks just like the Monarch, and the combo seat vaguely like a British seat - the Evolva? Hmmm... I don't keep up on the infant seats, so no clue.
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

The car seat reminds me of the Britax MT, and did anyone else notice the child was RFing
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

The Porshe and Mercedes seats were just Britax with colorful covers and some electronic doohickies to turn off the airbags (or not...that was only some of them), but they still fit in other cars. I don't get why these wouldn't fit in other cars Look like a Babysafe, Two Way Elite, and Monarch to me...

Edit, my bad...definitely multitech... http://www.britax.se/multitech08.htm
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Carseat Crazy

Every seat must fit in every car? How do they allow for overhang (or not), handles up or down on infant seat, long/short/rigid buckle stocks, etc? Each vehicle manufacturer has its own standards for seats and seatbelts...just because a seat installs on the test bench doesn't mean it will install in every vehicle on the market.

One of the criteria we give is fits your car, fits your child, and will be used correctly each and every time. If all seats fit all cars, why does that need to be mentioned?

Raechel
    Raechel, mom of my crew of now 5!

Stupid rules. I want the RF one for my Volvo.
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

I really like how the infant seat if RF'ing in the front seat, while Volvo doesn't have airbag switches and started using airbags in the early 90's
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

I wonder if Volvo would claim these seats are ONLY for their cars? If so, how could they be tested? And wouldn't it suck to not be able to ever take your kid in someone else's car if they didn't have the right brand vehicle?

That didn't really strike me as an unbiased article. Where was the comment from NHTSA?
    Sanna-5 years, 33 pounds, Nautilus
    Karl-2 years, 25 pounds, RF in a Roundabout or Marathon

This would explain why the actual Volvo seats that didn't get released a few years ago didn't make it to market, I guess (they were very odd, I don't feel like googling, but a few of us wanted them, back in the day )...but these are just Britaxes that they sell in other countries for other cars, where's the specialization? They need to tell me what they've done with Volvo to make them only Volvo compatible

Yeah, NHTSA's side of the story would be interesting, wouldn't it?

Anyone read the comments on that blog below the article? I thought guys who read car blogs would be smarter than the average bear about crashes and physics, I'm sorry I was so wrong
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

No, guys who post comments on car sites tend to be people with the mental maturity of a 2 yr old. Whether they're in their teens or 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresch View Post
    I wonder if Volvo would claim these seats are ONLY for their cars? If so, how could they be tested? And wouldn't it suck to not be able to ever take your kid in someone else's car if they didn't have the right brand vehicle?
    I think that's exactly NHTSA's reasoning. Because you know that if they release this, and it was "Volvo vehicle compatible only," at some point it's going to end up in another manufacturer's vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4Girls View Post
    Every seat must fit in every car? How do they allow for overhang (or not), handles up or down on infant seat, long/short/rigid buckle stocks, etc? Each vehicle manufacturer has its own standards for seats and seatbelts...just because a seat installs on the test bench doesn't mean it will install in every vehicle on the market.

One of the criteria we give is fits your car, fits your child, and will be used correctly each and every time. If all seats fit all cars, why does that need to be mentioned?

Raechel
    I think they oversimplified it when they said every seat has to fit in every car. But that is the intention, that each seat will fit in the vast majority of cars. And that is why seats must be tested with not just LATCH, but seatbelt as well, because not all vehicles have LATCH, let alone in every position.

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    The Porshe and Mercedes seats were just Britax with colorful covers and some electronic doohickies to turn off the airbags (or not...that was only some of them), but they still fit in other cars. I don't get why these wouldn't fit in other cars Look like a Babysafe, Two Way Elite, and Monarch to me...

Edit, my bad...definitely multitech... http://www.britax.se/multitech08.htm
    Especially considering that the convertible was installed using the seatbelt.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Volvo

NHTSA

The convertible looks exactly like my new seats; just swapped out the "Britax" label on the seatback with a "Volvo" label.

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

Out of curiosity, is the picture of the little boy rear-facing correct? I know that kids RF much longer in parts of Europe than here in the US, but the top of his head is above the head support of the carseat. Is that allowed in Europe? It seems to me that it would be dangerous, especially in the front seat with the wind shield right there behind him.
    Gena

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    Out of curiosity, is the picture of the little boy rear-facing correct? I know that kids RF much longer in parts of Europe than here in the US, but the top of his head is above the head support of the carseat. Is that allowed in Europe? It seems to me that it would be dangerous, especially in the front seat with the wind shield right there behind him.
    Yes, it is correct. They can sit in the seat until the eyes are level with the top of the headrest.

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

Gena, see how the Swedish seat looks in this crash test? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng There's no downward rotation like US seats, so it's ok for the head to be up and out of the seat a bit.
    Julie

Senior Community Member

Both seats are RF in the front, I wonder if Volvo disables the airbag if you purchase the seat. I can't imagine RF anyone in the front, let alone putting a child in the front period. But I love those seats.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
    Gov't beauracracy at its finest.

However, this has me thinking. Porsche offers a car seat. I'm pretty sure I remember Mercedes offering their own as well. I didn't know about this rule and I thought those seats were specific to those manufacturers.

Now, I'm wondering what kind of seats they are and if they're any good. Admittedly it's stupid, but a big part of why I got the Recaro was for the racy Recaro name and looks (ok, the looks aren't too racy, but better than most). A Porsche branded seat (even if made by Recaro)....
    The Porche Marathon my friend had a pretty plain cover with a porche patch on it like the college covers. The thing that got me it that it had no LATCH!
    ~Laura™ mom to Seamus (6) in a Regent and Mickey (4) in a ff Myride. Due 6/26/11 with Abigail Tucker, patiently awaiting the install of her Myride.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsmom View Post
    Yes, it is correct. They can sit in the seat until the eyes are level with the top of the headrest.
    Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Gena, see how the Swedish seat looks in this crash test? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng There's no downward rotation like US seats, so it's ok for the head to be up and out of the seat a bit.

Thanks for the clarification! It seemed strange to me to see him with his head so far out of the headrest. I just kept thinking about the windshield breaking and crashing onto his head. But that's just a gut response on my part. Physics isn't one of my strong areas, so I'll trust all of you experts who say it's safe.
    Gena

The seat is braced is why it doesn't rotate downwards significantly. In the real vehicle, it's braced on the dashboard. In the video Jools linked, you can see there is something there to brace the seat (simulating the dashboard). Same video from a different angle.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three