Question EPS Foam problem

U

Unregistered

I bought the discontinued Fisher Price Safe Voyage carseat because it was a great deal and the reviews were favorable. When my husband was installing the carseat he pressed on the top of the seat to get the tether for the latch system tight. In the process the EPS foam basically shattered and broke into several pieces. Has anyone had a problem with this before. Is this our fault? He did have to push down on the seat hard to get a tight fit but still, it shouldnt break, right? I want to return this seat but I dont know if I'll replace it with a new one. If the EPS foam broke so easily just by pushing on it, I can't imagine how the carseat would hold up in a car accident.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Call Britax. They made it. They can send you new foam. However, you don't need to push down hard for the tether. You can't use it rear facing, and forward facing you just need to get the slack off. You don't want it so tight. It's not a point of installation, it just reduces head excursion. So you just need to take the slack out, not add weight to the top of the seat.

Wendy

heyruthie

Has anyone had a problem with this before. Is this our fault? He did have to push down on the seat hard to get a tight fit but still, it shouldnt break, right? I want to return this seat but I dont know if I'll replace it with a new one. If the EPS foam broke so easily just by pushing on it, I can't imagine how the carseat would hold up in a car accident.

This same thing happened to me--it was my fault. it is not a defective seat! EPS foam is MADE to be brittle--that's the whole point of it. it should shatter on impact (rather than your child's head shattering :)) that's actually how it protects the child--by breaking.

we broke our EPS foam on a RA, and Britax just let me order the part. they said it happens all the time, when people are not careful with the foam. it's easy to replace (unlinke your child's head.) it was not expensive. and it weighed next to nothing, so shipping was no big deal.

you have to be careful of the foam on any seat when installing.....

Pixels

The EPS foam cracking in a crash is not a safety concern. The way your husband pressed on it put stress on the foam differently than your child's head would in a crash, because it's from a different direction. The purpose of the EPS foam is to absorb some of the crash forces, like a bike helmet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC