I have an important iso.. and need to know how to post in fsot

UPDATE IN OP rn strap fray issue

I have a strap frey on my radian, sunshine kids tech says it is fine and safe.. my tech says no way is it safe.. I trust my tech.. so I am trying to get a new harness strap for her seat... I want to put up an ISO...

any info would be great

UPDATE... So I heard from Russ after I sent in my invoice and my pic of the serial sticker, he says they are sending me a new radian, that it should be here in a week, he asked me to cut the straps on the current one with the fray, and then send him pics proving I cut them.. and recycle the seat.. plastic and metal... not sure how to recycle a radian but I suppose I can bring it to the recycling center and they will know what to do.
I am so relived my faith in the Sunshine kids company is back... I will be recommending them again.. (I really love our radians.. I was just so upset and worried about that fray.. last night while inspecting the seat again, I noticed the other side of that strap is beggining to look as though a fray is starting, so I am really glad it is being taken care of now.) Shhh don't tell britax but I love the radians even more than the marathon, so I am glad we don't have to switch favorite car seat companies lol

Last edited:
ADS

MOM25BOYS

Unless it is a newer Radian I don't think the straps are replacable.:( SKJP *should* replace the whole seat if it is an older version and the straps are fraying badly, IMO.:twocents:

OH NO.. they really do not want to replace it for me.. they seem to think it is just fine.. there tech says so
here is what I got for a reply after I sent her a pic of the frey

Hi Meghan, our car seat technician has looked at the pictures you have provided and this is his response.

The slight edge-fray could be the buckle tongs. but her seat is fine and very safe.

Please note: every harness system for every child car seat – including the webbing and hardware - has to pass a strict, abrasion-strength test standard, which Radian’s harness system more than meets. Radian seats utilize the same harness buckle hardware and webbing (from the same supplier) as many other car seats. Based on all the testing these harness systems undergo, the harness system on a Radian seat will continue to provide the highest level of safety for the life of the seat. While it is not necessary to replace the buckle tongs, certain replacement accessory parts for Radian, including wider buckle tongs are available from SKJP or other Radian retailers. Please visit the Radian page of the website: http://www.skjp.com/products/skjp_radian_80.php?show=Acc&#tabs

If you send us your address we will be glad to send you a replacement buckle tongs at no expense to you.

So they sent the buckle tongs.. but the tech today said he would not use that seat with the strap like that with his kids... I really trust him, I always take my seats to him

this is a pic of the frey
IMG_2087a.jpg

most people are saying EEK when they see it on the other car seat forum I am on... I first reported the frey when the seat was maybe 9 months old... now it is probably about 11 months old

MOM25BOYS

Uh, no that is too much fraying for me, personally, to be comfortable with.:thumbsdown: SKJP is giving you the run around it sounds like IMO. I would not be happy, nor would I back down unless they replace the seat. :twocents:

I am going to be sick.. great... I have been using it for a couple of months like that. They told me it was fine.. is my seat too old to replace the straps on? I really doubt they will replace it.. I told her I would be willing to pay for the new straps.. but I am not willing to buy a whole new radian.. I have spent an arm and a leg for all of my car seats.. I have three radians, and APEX 65 and a marathon... my husband will pee himself if I tell him we have to buy another seat... I am so pissed.

I think maybe I am being avoided, by the woman now since normally she gets right back to me.. I am really upset.. they would tell me it was fine and safe, and just to save money... this really bothers me.. that they would allow my baby to ride in an unsafe seat and tell me it was safe.

I need to go install an APEX 65 for now I guess.. :(

Pixels

What's the DOM on that seat? "New" Radians made since September 2008 have a replaceable harness. That's one of the changes that they made. I don't have an "old" one to compare it to, but I suspect that the "new" ones came with the wider buckle tongs and longer crotch strap, too.

What's the DOM on that seat? "New" Radians made since September 2008 have a replaceable harness. That's one of the changes that they made. I don't have an "old" one to compare it to, but I suspect that the "new" ones came with the wider buckle tongs and longer crotch strap, too.

Nope I bought them last spring in april actually.. so that bites. I have to double check but I believe the dom is feb 08 I reported teh harness frey in feb 09 I actually remember telling her from dom that they were exactly 1 year old.. at the time.. I think to the day I called lol

Mommy2Marcus

If that were my seat then I would pissed that they told me that that was safe! I would be called them right back & telling then that it is unacceptable to me. I would also be all over them untill they replaced my seat. I would NOT just let it go.

That does not look safe to me with the belt fraying like that. I am actually worried that the same thing is going to wind up happening to my TF b/c it has buckle tongs that are to small for the harness, so I am watching it closely.

So do not let them get away with it. I would be making a phone call to the as soon as they were open again. The demand that they replace the seat if they do not offer to do so again.

I am sorry you're going through this. I hope that you get them to replace the seat. Is it only on one of your Radians or both of them??

Then there's no way to replace the harness. :(
wonderful.... augh I hope they replace the seat.. I am freaking out.. I feel so sick over this... I am really upset that the company would tell a loyal customer that the seat is safe when it is not. I mean I really love my radians and was going to purchase another for my son but maybe I shouldn't

I was extra nice in my email.. if she comes back saying there is nothing they can do I will be calling to speak with a manager and I will be making demands, I was planing on buying a monteray booster for my daughter and another 65 for my son, I plan to tell them that I will be buying a parkway and marathon instead if they refuse lol.
you guys have no idea how sick this makes me.. I believed it was so minor it was no big deal, after they told me it was fine. It all makes sense now... they just didn't want to replace the seat.. I am going to get some techs to write to them too.

Pixels

I wonder what they would say if you asked them to define exactly how much fraying is acceptable before it does become a safety problem.

emandbri

From what I've read they can replace the straps on the old ones if you mail the seat to them. I would totally call again.

TXAggieTech

I would personally be comfortable using the seat with that amount of fraying. I would want it replaced, but would be fine using it while waiting to decide what to do.

With an 8 year life I would be more worried about how it would look in 7 years if it looks like that now.

Have you contacted the store you purchased it from? Maybe they could work with Sunshine Kids. Especially since you called with in a year of purchase, I would expect it to be covered under warranty.

They got back to me and asked me to send the pic again and said that they would send the pic to their tech again... I replied saying this

I ended up putting the pics up on Carseat.org to see what they said, All of the techs there to reply have said that it is unsafe, I will attach the pic again, they also mentioned what you had said about the straps and since my seat has a DOM of 2/08 I believe.. but I will double check but I have owned it for almost a year so it was around then, They also said that I would have to have the seat replaced. I am so sad as I Love her radian, I have three (one for each child.)

I have to admit I choose radians because of their high harness weight, high shell hight, and longer life of 8 years, I really expected it to last us, seeing as we extended rear face and harness our children. Please Let me know what can be done as soon as possible, As a mother who is very educated about car seat safety, it is very hard for me to have her riding around knowing that it is possible that her seat might not hold her in a crash.. even if it is a slight chance.

I really hate being a pain, I just am seriously concerned about it now, and really feel that something needs to be done.
Thanks again For your help

So hopefully they can take care of it.. she did say my straps can not be replaced on the seat.. this is the seat I am planing on using for her untill she is at least 7 just like her older sister.. I need it to last.

I hope what I said was ok

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC