Too much Marathon rf recline angle

CivicDad

I have my daughter's Marathon installed rf in the center position of our 2003 Honda CR-V. Britax may be an easy install, but I had a bear of a time getting that seat in there as tight as I like it with the setbelt. The tether definitely fixed that, as the seat is rock solid. However, with the tether as tight as it needs to be, the angle definitely goes beyond 45 degrees.

I have read in other posts how some people recommend not reclining the seat to deal with this issue, but the manual says reclined when rf, so that is how I intend to keep it.

Other ideas? Am I best of foregoing the center position for LATCH outboard and hopefully a better install and angle?

Thanks!

ADS

lovinwaves

Ok, the first thing I noticed that you said was that you finally got a good solid install once you did the tether. You should have a good solid install without the tether as well. The tether is optional. So that is #1

#2 is that you may not need to have your tether as tight as you do. The tether does not need to be so tight like your seatbelt or latch install. The tether should be snug but not necessarily overtight.

There are some techniques you can use to help reposition the Marathon so it is not "so" angled. You definitely do not want more than a 45 degree angle. But if it is that is ok too on an older baby. My children are both at 45 degree angle and love the recline for sleeping and "lounging" LOL!!

Remove the Tether and try to reinstall the marathon. First make sure you get a good install with just the carseat belt. (less than an inch movement from either side). Then only after you have a satisfactory install can you do the tether.

Now if the carseat is so reclined that it doesn't fit in your car well then we can do another approach to repositioning the carseat on the "car's" actual seat so when tightening it it doesn't go to such an incline.

lovinwaves

Oh, and one more thing. I would definitely definitely keep your carseat in the center position. If you are still having problems getting a good install don't rule out that center position until you have a trained CPS give it a try. :)

CivicDad

Thanks for the reply!

I should probably clarify... My original install (without tether) was probably good enough in that I had less than one inch movement side to side. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I am something of a perfectionist, and after trying for a few hours and not getting it as tight as I like, the tether seemed to do the trick. I definitely want to use the tether, and it isn't overtight. It is taut to the point of not having any slack. From what I've read, it should be tight enough to keep the seat fro rotating back, and that is where it is.

As for a tech, I haven't been able to find one convenient to me. The sheriff's office does checks, but quite frankly I don't get the impression that they know any more than (or even as much as) me.

lovinwaves

Thanks for the reply!

I should probably clarify... My original install (without tether) was probably good enough in that I had less than one inch movement side to side. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I am something of a perfectionist, and after trying for a few hours and not getting it as tight as I like, the tether seemed to do the trick. I definitely want to use the tether, and it isn't overtight. It is taut to the point of not having any slack. From what I've read, it should be tight enough to keep the seat fro rotating back, and that is where it is.

As for a tech, I haven't been able to find one convenient to me. The sheriff's office does checks, but quite frankly I don't get the impression that they know any more than (or even as much as) me.

Ok Good Clarification LOL!!

I totally understand what you mean by a "non-satisfactory" install. I am a perfectionist too. So without the tether the seat just doesn't seem "right". I know the base of the seat is snug like you are saying, but the top half of the seat seems to "wishy washy". But believe it or not that IS ok. As long as the seat at the base where the seatbelt passes through is snug you are ok. The tether though I agree gives it that "finished" feel. :)

Ok, so now about the angle....You CAN put the seat in the upright position in a rear-facing position. The ONLY thing that concerns me with this is the adjuster could break in the event of an accident. Even though Britax says this is ok I am weary of it. What I would do is just start all over again, and try positioning the base of the seat differently in your car. If the back of the Car's seat actually can be adjusted try that also. As long as the base is all touching the bottom of the car's seat you are ok. Just play around with it. It took me a good hour to get the best incline I wanted, but now I know how to do it. It just takes practice. Like I said above though there is a technique that Techs use to help with the over-angled seat. Hopefully someone will chime in on that!

Whew...I'm out of breath...:)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What I do for the RFing angle is to put it in the reclined mode, as it should be, and then install the seat with the front of the base about an inch or two from the bight. Then install it with the seatbelt as tight as you can. The seat then will be VERY upright, practically pointing into the trunk. Then do the tether and pull it tight. I get into Piper's seat and lean over the top of it and pull the tether tight then and I don't get more than a 45 degree angle. I don't know if I could.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC