CBC Canadian car seat research

S

sawat

CBC Car seat research

Hi there. I'm a producer with the CBC's network consumer unit. We are currently researching the topic of car seat safety. I'm interesed in speaking with Canadians with knowledge or opinions about this topic. We are also particularly interested in speaking with Canadians who were affected by last year's voluntary recall by Combi USA. In March of 2008 Comi recalled the Centre, Centre ARB, and Shuttle Rear Facing Infant Restraints. More details below. I can be reached at timothy.sawa@cbc.ca. Or by phone (collect, if you want) at 204-788-3739.

Thanks,
Timothy Sawa
Producer
CBC TV

Combi USA, Inc. Announces a Voluntary Safety Recall of the Centre, Centre ARB and Shuttle Rear Facing Infant Restraints
Combi USA, Inc. Announces a Voluntary Safety Recall of the Centre, Centre ARB and Shuttle Rear Facing Infant Restraints

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Fort Mill, SC March 3, 2008 - Combi USA, Inc. (Combi) is announcing a voluntary safety recall of the Centre, Centre ARB, and Shuttle Rear Facing Infant Restraints. The Centre and Shuttle were manufactured from October 19, 2005 to December 15, 2007. No other models are affected by this recall. Combi USA, Inc., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada conducted numerous in-vehicle laboratory tests to analyze the overall effectiveness of the Centre and Shuttle in motor vehicle frontal crashes. In some cases these tests exceeded the requirements of the current US standard. The test data revealed that the seat of the restraint could potentially separate from its base, when tested under these conditions.

All Centre and Shuttle restraints have consistently met existing government safety standards. While Combi has not received any owner reports of these seats separating from the base in real-world crashes, Combi is initiating this voluntary safety recall to address the potential for seat separation as demonstrated in testing of the seat in motor vehicles. Combi will conduct a voluntary recall campaign with the intent of providing car seats with enhanced protection under these in-vehicle test conditions.

Number of Units Affected: approximately 67,000
Date Produced: October 19, 2005 to December 15, 2007
Model Numbers Affected are: 8065, 8074, 8086, 8087, 8520 and associated Travel Systems containing the Centre and Shuttle (Model #4400, 4515, 4520)

ADS

sparkyd

Is the story going to be about seats being recalled or about car seat safety in general? We are in dire need of more public education about actually using car seats and about using them properly. A story about an issue with a particular seat or about recalls/testing standards in general might get people's attention so they'll watch, but it would be awesome if after you've got people's attention a good chunk of time could be spent on giving people some information that could really make a difference in the safety of their kids in the car. :twocents:

April

Hi there,

You've definitely come to the right place.

I'm curious as to why you are focusing on only the Combi recall. There certaintly have been a fair amount of recalls here (as well as around the world). In a way, the fact that seats are recalled is almost a good thing. Not good in the sense of potential injury to a child, but good in the sense of corporate responsibility and making sure that problems get addressed and not swept under the rug. (Some companies are more responsible than others of course).

So...what exactly do you want to know about the recall?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think you'll find this is a great place to gather information and contacts in regards to carseat safety. I know that there is another tech who is a member here who had a Combi seat that was recalled. If you've by any chanced searched through old posts, you may actually come across a few threads mentioning it because she experienced quite a long wait before receiving the recall kit.

The important thing to keep in mind if you are addressing the Combi recall for some specific reason, is that Combi went to great lengths to re-create the circumstances that would allow the seat to separate from the base. Once they were able to re-create it, then they developed a fix and recalled the seats. It shows a lot of integrity for a company to do research to try and re-create a reported problem rather than trying to sweep it under the rug.

I'm hoping that the show you create will be well balanced in emphasizing the importance of carseats and their correct use, as well as whatever special angle it is you're taking.

I think it's fabulous that you're wanting to put together a story on car seats and will look forward to seeing what comes of it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I also just wanted to supply the link to the Canadian recall of the Combi Center DX and Center ST (including travel systems): http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/notices/2008p01/menu.htm

In Canada there were 536 units involved in the recall, which is significantly less than in the US. We also don't have the Combi Shuttle in Canada. :thumbsup:

If you're looking for a larger target group of parents who have had to deal with a recalled carseat, I would suggest considering the harness adjuster recall on the Alpha Omega seats. (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/notices/2007p05/menu.htm) This recall affected over 300,000 units, and just a few months ago a new batch of seats was added on to this recall increasing the count by another 79,000. (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/notices/2008p08/menu.htm)

So depending on where you want to go with talking about a recall, you may want to choose a different company/seat - unless there's a specific reason for choosing Combi. :thumbsup:

canadiangie

Hi,

I'm the technician here who had a Combi infant seat involved in the recall. Feel free to PM me if you need more info on that. (click on my screename and a box will drop down; scroll to "send canadiangie a private message").

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Glad you made it here Timothy!
I've been wondering if you would post.
I wasn't affected with this recall but let me know if you have anymore questions.

Julie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC