Volkswagen Routan?

rsimmons

Anyone bought a 09 Volkswagen Routan? We're looking into getting one, but since it's only been out a few months there are limited consumer reviews. It only has one tether in the 3rd row, that's my biggest hang up - come fall we'll have 3 kids in car seats which leaves no room for any other passengers which seems silly to drive a minivan that only able to fits 5 people!

But it is so much more hip in the interior than the competitors. It might be a minivan I could drive. I have an Acura MDX now and LOVE it - but worry about the safety of squishing a Regent, Marathon and Boulevard in the backseat with the outside kids too close in proximity to the windows.

Any feedback?
Rebecca

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As a side note, in case you didn't know, the Routan is a Dodge Grand Caravan with VW treatments.

rsimmons

Yes I've read the reviews but I still think there is a very different feel in the inside. I looked at the Town and Country today and I could tell a big difference. The VW has a much more modern feel. R

Heather98012

While the VW looks WAY better, I'd still check out reviews for the Dodge & Chrysler because IIRC the engine, drivetrain, etc. are identical. And the Caravan & T&C have been known for lots of mechanical problems. Let's be honest, VW has been known to have lots of reliability issues as well.

I think you'd be sorely disappointed if you're currently in a MDX. I just think the Acura is soooo stellar in regards to reliability, you'd be let down by the VW. But, I will say...it is pretty sweet looking as far as minivans go!

Last edited:

rsimmons

That's what I'm afraid of... being disappointed after being in my MDX - which will be passed down to my husband. I'm trying desperately to talk myself into a minivan for the safety of my soon-to-be three small kids. The Honda Odyssey fares much better in being a similar drive and sturdy build of the MDX - seeing Honda owns Acura.

Getting 3 Britax seats for kids ages 0-5 on one SUV bench seat has become a real issue. It has been done before in my car, even with a Regent, but I'm not feeling good about it being a permeant arrangement.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Rebecca

TXDani

Senior Community Member
There really aren't any safety disadvantages to your kids being 3 across in your middle row. I have a MDX and 3 kids and they often sit three across in my car and I am 100% comfortable with that.

Its kind of a catch 22 because if you ever are in an accident there is no way of knowing what type of accident it will be (off center, side impact, rear end, head on). In some accidents the kids would be safer all in the middle row where in a different type of accident they might fair better all being spread out or even all in the third row.

Heather98012

Its kind of a catch 22 because if you ever are in an accident there is no way of knowing what type of accident it will be (off center, side impact, rear end, head on). In some accidents the kids would be safer all in the middle row where in a different type of accident they might fair better all being spread out or even all in the third row.

:yeahthat: At some point you just have to make the best decision you can & go with it. Trust me...I over think everything. But at the end of the day, you just have to do it & relax. Otherwise you'll get an ulcer. ;) Good luck!!

lovinwaves

If you purchase a Honda Odyssey, or Toyota Sienna you would not be compromising anything. You are going to get about the same thing as you did with your Acura, but just minivan style :p

Luxury, Styling, Comfort, little features that make you go "huh, that's cool," and of course SAFETY!

72msfish

Drove our VW Routan SEL home yesterday.

Installed Grace Nautilus FF in the 2nd row seat with LATCH and the tether is anchored to the rear of the seat at the bottom.

Installed Britax Marathon RF in the 2nd row seat with LATCH and the tether anchored under the 2rd row seat.

Both seats are rock solid :thumbsup: and there is still plenty of room for getting to the 3rd row seating. Yes, there is a 3rd LATCH and tether in the middle rear seat. Very tiny space though. Can't imagine getting a big car seat installed and still having room for someone else to sit.

I hope that helps with some of the questions about the Routan. I like it so far (not love it yet because I'm still in minivan denial). :rolleyes:

Any more questions, please ask.

Gimmie a week and I may have more to rave or complain about!

K~
mommy :love: to rosebud (4 and FF) and sprout (1 and RF)

72msfish

forgot to add that the rear windows are huge and go up and down, which my DD loves! it has a million cup holders and countless other bells and whistles that i haven't learned yet. the seats are nice and comfy in the first 2 rows, kids might be more comfy in the 3rd row than an adult on a long trip.
K~

stjemmes

I heard the Routon was just the Chrysler/Dodge vans with the VW logo on it and a bigger price tag. Is this true or is it really different.

serabi

I own an '02 T&C and the tether issue in the 3rd row is a real pain. I'd honestly go with a loaded Sienna. ;) I like mine but it is a temporary car and when we have more kids FFing we will eventually have to "upgrade".

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

forgot to add that the rear windows are huge and go up and down, which my DD loves! it has a million cup holders and countless other bells and whistles that i haven't learned yet. the seats are nice and comfy in the first 2 rows, kids might be more comfy in the 3rd row than an adult on a long trip.
K~

You'll have to post some photos!

72msfish

it is a rebadged caravan/tc but that is because vw had a partnership with them in 2005 and wanted to go to the minivan "experts" for the american market. smart thinking on vw's part because it would take years and a lot of $ to come up with their own design. do i like this fact? no. not at all. myself and my husband are die-hard vw people. having a few of them under our belt, including the "original" minivan, a 1972 vw westy bus (lovingly named ms. fish :love:) i hated the fact that our passat was no longer able to meet our growing family's needs. i love that car! so we went to the philly car show this winter and sat in everything! leaving personal opinion aside, we agreed that the vw minivan was the way to go for us. we just prefer vw's and we'll leave it at that.

i read a million reviews on the routan. those who are not a fan of dodge/chrysler have nothing but bad opinions on volkswagen's decision to partner with them. those who actually test drove them and wrote honest opinions on them and liked what they experienced.

here's a link to a few opinions that may help you decide for yourself.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=1061

now, talking price... everything is overpriced. my thoughts from walking around the car show and sitting in every brand is that you get what you pay for. so is the routan overpriced? not with the deal we got. we got the SEL model with every option under the sun (excluding the navi system. we already have a garmin so we didn't need this.) and paid no more than a fully loaded t/c, nissan, or toyota. we got 0% interest and $0.00 down to boot. it was a no-brainer for us. it was time for a minivan and when the family is done growing and our car seat days are over, i've promissed myself a sweet new set of wheels from where else? vw of course!

the differences: almost everything! the interior is clean and simple. seats are tight (like all vw seats) and yada, yada, yada. too many to list. exterior differences are just about most of it as well. it's square and boxy. the rear gate has been redesigned and the front nose is it's own style.

so is it a dodge rebadge? yes and no.

like i said before... give me a week to drive this beast and i'll share my thoughts again.

hth! :D
k~

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It may be a Dodge mechanically, but at least you aren't dependent on a bankrupt company to honor the warranty!

72msfish

after driving it for a few days, it rides nice and dd is happy with the wireless headphones and dvd system. it has a few blind spots that i'm not used to yet. gas milage isn't as good as my passat but not many vans are. it has become the stroller garage, housing 1 maclaren and a doublewide jogger :D . it still has plenty of room to spare :thumbsup:.

in a nutshell... i like it (still not lovin' it yet!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC