Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Thumbs up City of Kingston NY

Apparently the city of Kingston police/sheriff dept (don't know which) are camping out at elementary schools and ticketing for non booster use. I bet the parents aren't too happy, though. And it is sad that I think it is in response to a fatality. I believe that how the NYS law reads it is a child must be over 6 or 60 pounds (which reads as any child under 7 or 60 pounds I think). ANd, as a extra little tidbit, you cannot use a harness like the ridesafer vest for a child under 4 and 40 pounds in NY.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: City of Kingston NY

hey, pretty cool! [and as an aside, kingston is my home town]. i wonder which elementary schools they are stalking? i went to GW.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

I wish they would do that everywhere!

I thought NY was under 7? Meaning 6 all the way to the 7th birthday. I should really find that out.
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

CPS Advocate

Good for them

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeo2ski View Post
    I wish they would do that everywhere!

I thought NY was under 7? Meaning 6 all the way to the 7th birthday. I should really find that out.
    Yes, that is how the law is supposed to be interpreted, but it use the wording like age 6 and under or something like that. Let me see...

http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/seat-vt.htm

Oh, it does say under age 7. Now I have to figure out where it says 6 and 60, because I have seen it for the law. Hmm, there is no weight listed either. I don't know where I got that

here it is..

http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/sesa-ndx.htm

Under the what are the laws, etc. Children age 4, 5, and 6 must be secured in a proper child restraint. Look, not child must be in booster Which means a hwh seat is included in the law, as are vests. But it does say that a child under 4, who is not yet 40 pounds must be in a federally approved car seat. Hmm, unclothed my dd is 38.5-39 pounds...but has outgrown a decathlon.... Now, I know to keep her harnessed, and she is over 40 when clothed, closer to 42, but I know alot of parents with bigger 3 year olds won't necessarily go out and buy a nautilus when they can get a booster instead.

ANd another point I usually like to make when people talk about the fines..since it is only 25-100 dollars, but it is 3 POINTS on your license.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

Thanks for the info about the license points--I always hate reading the super cheap fines!
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT