Question Statistics about safety of 3 car seats in a row?

U

Unregistered

I've come across lots of online info about how to fit 3 car seats in one row. But have there been any studies about the safety of this? Or are there guidelines about how to do this as safely as possible?

The most obvious danger seems to be in the case of a side collision. There is not much space (if at all) or the children's limbs might be in between the seats or the proximity of the outer children to the glass.

Sorry, not pleasant thoughts, but I can't seem to find any info on this topic. Thanks!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think there really are many statistics on this (yet), but the best information we have now is that it's possible they are safER due to other seats (well, any occupant), limiting movement in a crash. This is the study I'm referring to... http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php
I suppose it would be nice if Britax Advocates fit three-across (it's a new seat with cushions on the side for SIP for both the occupant and the child next to the seat), but I suspect that will be a feature that more seats will incorporate as time goes on. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As for the limbs getting pinched, if you have three across in a car you won't think that's very likely. There's usually NO room between seats to slide fingers, nevermind getting an arm or a leg stuck. In fact, when doing three across installations they're usually so snug to one another that I leave my skin and fingernails behind. So I wouldn't worry about getting limbs caught.

Like Jools said, though. It actually seems to be better. Not that I'd buy seats just to fill up the back row, but I wouldn't fret about three kids back there in any combination of seats/seatbelts.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC