Odyssey CRASHED-look at this!

lovinwaves

Here's the story~The pictures from the crash are in a post down lower.
This was a Honda Odyssey~
Late Sunday night a woman, with an unrestrained 2 yr old, decided that she should make a left turn in front of me rather than waiting for me to drive past her. My left front collided with a 2006 Dodge Ram Crew Cab P/U causing what I believe to be major damage. As of now, early estimates, the damage is at $17200. What is terrible is that this was the wifey's car and it only had 6400 miles. I believe it may be totalled, but, not sure as of yet. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, everyone wants to know about injuries: Me (the driver of the Ody) received an extremely sore shoulder / neck from the excellent Ody seatbelts, received airbag burns / abrasions on my left forearm, and a bump on the left side of my head I am guessing from hitting the door frame. I was able to unbuckle, push open the drivers door, and walk away. I am super sore now, but, alive and so proud of the Ody. The female driver and her unrestrained child were also NOT injured. Amazing.

Last edited:
ADS

lovinwaves

The Van was Totalled
More to the story if you want to read:

Crumpling of the hood went exactly as planned. Can't see it in this shot, but the left front wheel is bent inward from the top. The damage goes pretty far into the engine compartment but not into the occupant area. Passenger front door opened with no problem. All of the buttons (VSA, sunroof, rear doors) popped out of their spots, the sunroof is now popped open, and the AC vents on the left side popped out. The hood crumpled and penetrated the windshield. Drivers door is bowed out like a crescent moon with broken interior panels.

The only bag to deploy at all was the drivers steering wheel airbag. The interesting thing about that is I honestly don't believe I ever even touched the drivers side airbag with my face. The seatbelt did such an amazing job that I had no abrasions, cuts, or black eyes at all. I didnt have any soreness on my face either, just on my neck / shoulder from the seatbelt.

I am certain that the bump on my head was the rebound / rotation / impact with the door frame. As you would be, I am completely pleased with the performance and we are now looking at the 07's. Why switch from something that you know works! On a side note, Kia is running a commercial featuring IIHS offset crash footage, and it also does NOT show curtain / side airbags deploying in an offset frontal crash. In my opinion the Ody worked just like it should have.

lovinwaves

Here's another Crash

Here's another Crash Story:

van1.jpg

If you're rear ended by someone doing 60 mph or higher, there's going to be a lot of damage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what happened to me in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT about a week ago (I am now the proud owner of an '07 Odyssey EX-L w/ Navi and DVD).

I was stopped on a State Route while a State Trooper was turning around in the road in front of me with his emergency lights on. There was a small fender bender behind us on the other side of the road that he was going back to. I had been sitting there for about 15 seconds when a lady who was well behind me slammed into the back of my van at 60mph. She was looking at the cars on the other side of the road and never noticed me sitting there!

The van did it's job, so I can't complain there. I was able to walk away with nothing more than being a little sore. The cargo area behind the 3rd row was gone and the third row seats were pushed into the second row seatbacks. My seatback didn't completely fail (break) but it did bend back to the pont where it was fully reclined.

-- that white panel wrapped around my rear wheel.... that's the front bumper from the 1995 Mercury Cougar that hit me.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
It won't allow us to see the pictures of your crash without a password and log in name. I am very happy you are ok though, and would like to see your pictures if you can link them in some way. :)

lovinwaves

It won't allow us to see the pictures of your crash without a password and log in name. I am very happy you are ok though, and would like to see your pictures if you can link them in some way. :)

Oh, sorry if I made it seem like it was my van, but it wasn't ;) I found this off of my Odyssey forum. I will try to get the photos on here, sorry bout that :)

Simplysomething

Interesting, but it makes it seem like the people in the other car weren't injured because of the ody.

I hope the driver of the other car is charged criminally for putting the baby at risk.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh phew, I thought you were remarkably well composed after a crash like that, lol.
Daaaaang.. .scary stuff! Gotta love crumple zones and safety cages, that's for sure. Odd note.. .My BIL has owned a body shop for decades and said before seatbelts and crumple zones, he'd repair cars that had had 'fatals' in them, 8-10 a month. But in the last decade or so with airbags and whatnot, he almost never repairs cars that had people die in them.... they are basically hauled to the junkyard immediately now...if you die in a car, that car cannot possibly be fixed.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Whew, Melissa, I also thought you had been in that crash at first until I read more, please don't scare us like that. :eek: ;) Glad everyone walked away from it all the same, especially the unrestrained child, whoa. Hope the child's mom learned the importance of buckling everyone up properly, although I kind of wonder if she thinks they're even more invincible in the car after walking away unhurt, KWIM?

lovinwaves

Sorry guys!!! Yeah, Whew it wasn't me.:) Thank goodness it was only the guy driving and not is whole family in the van. I have another story I am working on where a restrained little girl broke her femure and had other internal injuries from a horrific T-bone accident.

That Dodge van crash was pretty bad too!! Thank goodness there were no kids in the third row, because he said it was pushed to the second row.:eek:

"Simply" I am not sure what you mean about it seeming like the other people weren't injured because of the Ody.
I think the mom and baby were not injured because partially a miracle and probably because her truck was so BIG. It just goes back to the question of Truck VS. everyone else on the road. The truck or large suv will fair better in an accident. Is that what you mean? :confused:

honeybee03

I can't believe the unrestrained 2y/o was OK!!!

3 weeks ago, one of my HS classmates got into a rollover accident with his family. His wife, 4y/o son and 2y/o daughter were in the vehicle. None of them were restrained. All of them were ejected. The 2y.o was dead at the scene, and the mother is in a coma with permanent brain damage. The 4y.o and dad got away with bruises.

ajweeks

That is sad. I can't understand why anyone would ride unrestrained these days when there is so much information about how much safer you are. People are strange though--I read a review of the Odyssey and the reviewer complained about the loud seat belt dinging that he couldn't turn off because he didn't like to wear seat belts!

Lys

Senior Community Member
That is sad. I can't understand why anyone would ride unrestrained these days when there is so much information about how much safer you are. People are strange though--I read a review of the Odyssey and the reviewer complained about the loud seat belt dinging that he couldn't turn off because he didn't like to wear seat belts!

My sister (who works in a HOSPITAL) says the same thing! Her old car used to stop "dinging" after a few minutes so she wouldn't buckle.
She hates riding with me because I won't move the car out of park until she buckles!
She told me recently, her new car keeps "dinging" until you buckle and therefore she does just to get the thing to shut up! LOL Thank goodness for that!
Her reasoning for not wearing a seatbelt though is she doesn't want to have to be cut out of the car by the jaws of life, she would rather be ejected from the car! :eek:
I keep telling her most traffic fatalities happen when the person is ejected from the car.

Morganthe

I can understand being annoyed by the dinging of the seatbelt warning. I have a very strict routine developed long ago: Get in the car, get the doors locked and engine started BEFORE I put on my seatbelt. Even with fiddling with daughter in a car seat, I have this instilled in me from being in very unsafe or remote areas. I supposed if I was still driving in those conditions, I'd toss dd in her seat, get in, lock doors and then awkwardly harness her up reaching from betweeen the front seats before we go.

My Seatbelt always goes on. I feel nekked if I don't have it. But I do get tired of the dinging reminder. I unclipped the connections in 2 of my past cars because their BUZZERS were horrible. One of them would come on intermittently even though I was wearing my seatbelt. Ahh, older cars :rolleyes:

I'd be thrilled if car makers input a minute or two delay before ringing. I'd be buckled in by then. :D Personally, I thought they were absolutely worthless reminders. But after reading this thread, I now realize there are still occupants who won't wear their seatbelts. I honestly believed that EVERYONE was smart enough to know better by now. :mad:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That pic from the van that was rear ended was scary! AJ has to be in the back row, there's nowhere else for him and he's ffing so his poor legs would've been squished (if he had them in front which he does about 50% of the time). :(

lovinwaves

That pic from the van that was rear ended was scary! AJ has to be in the back row, there's nowhere else for him and he's ffing so his poor legs would've been squished (if he had them in front which he does about 50% of the time). :(

But at least the percentages are against that happening. What is it like 4% of crashes are rear, and even then they tend to be less severe.:)

I have this habit of looking in my rear-view mirror ALOT when I am stopped in traffic or at a stop light. I am so worried someone is going to rear-end me. I always leave enough remove between me and the car in front of me, so I could move out of the way if I needed to. I know that isn't possible in every situation but, it has helped me prevent a rear-end accident....I was nannying two boys ages 2 and 4. I was stopped at a stop light and noticed this car behind me approaching faster than I thought he should have been. It was in a 45MPH zone. So just out of instinct I punched my Toyota 4-Runner to the shoulder/ditch. Then almost immediately I heard "SSSCCREEECHH". Yep sure enough he would have rear-ended me! I got out and he was literally less than a foot from the back of my SUV. He felt horrible and said he just wasn't paying attention.

Someone had always given me that trick about leaving a car length in front of you when stopped in case someone ever tried to come up and rob you or jump in your car, etc...

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Wow... scary stuff here! That picture of the Caravan is shocking. Thank goodness the people in these accidents were okay, especially the unrestrained 2 yr old... that is really a miracle. Melissa - I totally thought it was you when I read the first post - whew... what a relief it wasn't you and your little ones in that van! I guess looking at the picture of the Caravan, we just have to remember that severe rear end collissions are so rare. I know there are lots of us that have kids sitting in the backseats of our minivans, though, so it is SO scary to see! When I went shopping over the weekend, I decided to take notice of how many people weren't wearing seat belts. I would say there were people unrestrained in *at least* half of the cars I looked in. I won't even leave my driveway without my seat belt on!

ajweeks

Yeah, I'm always freaked out about being rear-ended as well. There is this one spot on the freeway where it backs up during rush hour and there are always rear enders on the side of the road. People just don't pay attention--it is always backed up there, but people are going too fast up and over a hill and then the cars are suddenly stopped. I just cringe when I'm waiting in the traffic in that lane and watch the cars flying up to me in my rearview mirror. There is no where else for me to go.

lovinwaves

Sorry about posting the picture of the rear ended caravan.:eek: That is not any fun to look at, especially when you have kids that consistently ride in the third row. Sorry if I scared any of you by posting that picture.:( I thought it was interesting that both drivers were able to walk away from such a horrible looking crash.

skaterbabs

I never start the car before putting on my seatbelt and removing the parking break (our house is on a hill, so it's 2nd nature to set the parking break even though I drive an automatic.) The main reason for that is actually gas economy - I don't start the car before I'm ready to put it in gear since idling wastes so muc gas.
I started doing that when we had an early 90's Cadillac that required premium gas when premium was $4 a gallon. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC