Cosco Scenera

JamieB

Is this a decent seat? It is $99 at the store here in town. I need a seat for my nephew who hardly ever comes to town but when he does he is here for about a month at a time. My sister wants to borrow my seat and I would rather spend the money than install and uninstall my seat every time she needs it, as long as this is a decent seat.

What about the Evenflo Titan for $30 more? Any other seats you would recommend? My sister has a Roundabout for him and wants to turn him ffing soon so I don't need a True Fit or anything. My nephew is 22lbs and about 28 inches but with a really long torso. TIA!

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I like the Scenera, and give it as a gift to all my friends who have babies. Between it and the Titan, I'd get the Scenera, especially for a rarely used seat. It has it's quirks like any other seat, but in general, it's a highly recommended budget seat here. Too bad you're not in the US, it's $39 this week at Target.:(

canmom

Do you have a wal-mart near you? $99 seems a bit high for a Scenera.... wal-mart (and I think Zellers too) has had them on for around $65 lately. I think a Scenera is fine for occational use.

JamieB

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to get it now. I was really not looking forward to lending out my True Fit or BLVD:D

Do you have a wal-mart near you? $99 seems a bit high for a Scenera.... wal-mart (and I think Zellers too) has had them on for around $65 lately. I think a Scenera is fine for occational use.

I was thinking that $99 seemed a bit much but the nearest Walmart is an hour away so it wouldn't be worth the gas money. Maybe I can order it online somewhere? It would be nice if my sister could bring the seat from the States since that's where she lives but she doesn't want to fly with a seat.

Also, I thought this seat only rf to 30 lbs? Is it 35?

canmom

The newer scenera's now go to 35lbs... you need to check the sticker when you buy it to be sure. I don't know how many of the 30lbs seats are still in the stores. Honestly, if she is coming from the states with her child and the seat is going to be used by her child, I would tell her to buy the Scenera down there and she can keep it as a travel seat, it is really light and not a big deal to carry through the airport. Not sure if I am missing something here but if you don't want to lend your seats just tell her your not comfortable with that and she needs to get her own seat. How old is the child? If she has to pay for his seat on the plane she can bring a carseat and use it on board.

JamieB

The newer scenera's now go to 35lbs... you need to check the sticker when you buy it to be sure. I don't know how many of the 30lbs seats are still in the stores. Honestly, if she is coming from the states with her child and the seat is going to be used by her child, I would tell her to buy the Scenera down there and she can keep it as a travel seat, it is really light and not a big deal to carry through the airport. Not sure if I am missing something here but if you don't want to lend your seats just tell her your not comfortable with that and she needs to get her own seat. How old is the child? If she has to pay for his seat on the plane she can bring a carseat and use it on board.

She won't buy a carseat there because she really doesn't want to travel with one. She would rather I repeatedly install and uninstall mine:whistle: She doesn't have to pay for a seat for m nephew because he just turned one. So instead of telling her she can't borrow my seat, I suggested to my mom how great it would be for her to have a seat in her car for while my sister is here:D My mom is actually paying for the seat. And now when I need to hop in with someone I can use the Scenera instead of uninstalling my True Fit or BLVD.

I think I saw that the Scenera is on sale at Zellers for $75 this week.

Thanks for that. Zellers is an hour away too so I think i'll be better off paying more here in town. I looked in the flyer and it also only goes to 30 lbs rfing. I think i'll all them and walmart before I buy.

Another question. I asked my sister if my nephew is rfing still and she said yes but he could ff. She doesn't care and plans on turning him soon anway. Would I be a horrible person if I lent her a ffing seat even though I know he's not as safe?

canmom

The trufit and the new scenera's go to 35lbs.... it is likely the flyer is wrong. Look at the sticker on the side of the seat to be sure for the scenera and all trufits go to 35lbs.

ETA: as far as ffing him goes... have you explained ERF to her? I would highly advice she keeps him rfing at least till age 2. Maybe send her some links including one to this website?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Honestly, with a child who has just turned 1, I'm not comfortable ff'ing them in my vehicle unless the seat is ff'ing only or there are other extenuating factors. By 18 months I would be more inclined to compromise, but at just meeting the minimum weight and just being over 1yr of age, we know that his risk of injury goes up exponentially being ff'ing and that's not something I'd like to be responsible for IYKWIM?

Is he walking unassisted? If he's not walking unassisted then I wouldn't even consider it - I would simply tell her that walking unassisted is one of the things on the list of requirements in Canada and that he'll have to rf. It's not in the manual yet as it's still being incorporated in to CMVSS, but all information in the CRST curriculum indicates walking unassisted as a requirement along with weight in order to ff.

If your wal-mart has relatively recent seats, it will have 35lb rf'ing limit seats. If you're getting a seat from Zeller's or CT or somewhere like that, then it likely still has a 30lb rf'ing limit as those stores tend to have a slower turnover. Wal-mart is $65 right now and Zeller's has the Scenera on sale for $75 right now. The date that the rf'ing limit changed to 35lbs is Dec 23/08. Some of the Scenera's had an incorrect English label placed on them indicating the limit still as 30lbs, but the French label and manual both indicate 35lbs as the limit - so double check the French labels depending on what store you're at. :thumbsup:

JamieB

The trufit and the new scenera's go to 35lbs.... it is likely the flyer is wrong. Look at the sticker on the side of the seat to be sure for the scenera and all trufits go to 35lbs.

ETA: as far as ffing him goes... have you explained ERF to her? I would highly advice she keeps him rfing at least till age 2. Maybe send her some links including one to this website?

Yes I guess the flyer is wrong because I called Zellers and the ones they have rf to 35 lbs. The woman working felt bead and apologized to me because she thought I wanted one that rf to 30lbs:D I was confused. lol

As for my sister, yes i've explained ERF to her. She's worried about the sun being in his eyes and him being uncomfortable. And i've given her reasons why she doesn't have to worry about either one of those. She was also told by her ped to turn him around:mad:

Honestly, with a child who has just turned 1, I'm not comfortable ff'ing them in my vehicle unless the seat is ff'ing only or there are other extenuating factors. By 18 months I would be more inclined to compromise, but at just meeting the minimum weight and just being over 1yr of age, we know that his risk of injury goes up exponentially being ff'ing and that's not something I'd like to be responsible for IYKWIM?

Is he walking unassisted? If he's not walking unassisted then I wouldn't even consider it - I would simply tell her that walking unassisted is one of the things on the list of requirements in Canada and that he'll have to rf. It's not in the manual yet as it's still being incorporated in to CMVSS, but all information in the CRST curriculum indicates walking unassisted as a requirement along with weight in order to ff.

If your wal-mart has relatively recent seats, it will have 35lb rf'ing limit seats. If you're getting a seat from Zeller's or CT or somewhere like that, then it likely still has a 30lb rf'ing limit as those stores tend to have a slower turnover. Wal-mart is $65 right now and Zeller's has the Scenera on sale for $75 right now. The date that the rf'ing limit changed to 35lbs is Dec 23/08. Some of the Scenera's had an incorrect English label placed on them indicating the limit still as 30lbs, but the French label and manual both indicate 35lbs as the limit - so double check the French labels depending on what store you're at. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to know that about walking unassisted! That's awesome. My nephew just started walking the other day. He won't be riding in my car at all and I just don't want my mom to spend money on a seat and then she just uses it ffing, when I already have a ff seat she can use for free. But then I was thinking that maybe I can use the Scenera in my car and save the stupid True Fit for later when DS is ffing.

Also, I made some calls and went to my store here in town and Walmart and Zellers have 35lb seats but the store here in town has older 30lb seats. They said they just got them in and I told them I would be calling to complain about getting old seats then. Anyway, Walmart told me that $64 is regular price and that they have them in pink or black. Is that right? Pink?

ETA: The woman working at the store told me to just buy the ffing/booster seat combo and flip it around rfing because you can put ANY seat rfing:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC