Great video to show parents who want to ff to soon

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Just because a person doesn't have children of their own yet, doesn't mean they can't be informed about CPS!

I do not have children yet and have been interest in CPS since I was 10ish(about 18 yrs). Even did a college english term paper on car seats!

I think there is at LEAST one other person on here with no children of their own, but is still knowledgeable in the field.

Susan

ADS

lovinwaves

Just because a person doesn't have children of their own yet, doesn't mean they can't be informed about CPS!

I do not have children yet and have been interest in CPS since I was 10ish(about 18 yrs). Even did a college english term paper on car seats!

I think there is at LEAST one other person on here with no children of their own, but is still knowledgeable in the field.

Susan

Oh, ok. I think that is great!! ;)

I don't think there is any problem with being informed about CPS Safety. I just probably never would have been this involved had I never had children. I have been fascinated with and fanatical about car safety since I was very young, but "Child" passenger safety specifically I never really researched this much.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
KHudson - I really really love the video - everything about it... the song, the pictures, the quotes... its all good! Unfortunately, the people that I emailed it to don't seem to be convinced. Some of them are so concerned about the kids legs or hips breaking if they were in a rear end collision, when obviously it is easier to fix a broken leg than a broken neck (I think a tech said that on another thread). And I had to add that I also have been interested in CPS since I was young, although not as young as 10! I can remember buying my first car seat when I was about 16 and learning how to use it CORRECTLY in my car, when I knew the kids own parents weren't using theirs correctly in their car! I had at least 1 car seat installed in my car all the time before I had kids of my own, just in case it was needed in an emergency or something! :) Anyway, keep up the good work... I'm really looking forward to the extended harnessing video!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My mom is a peds nurse and would bring home things from KISS(Kids in Safety Seats). She always let me read/ look at EVERYTHING I wanted to that was medical/safety related.

I got the S-E-X talk when I was 7(heard the word on the bus and asked what it was) from her anatomy and physiology textbook.

Susan

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Khudson, did your sister listen to your plea to keep your niece rearfacing? I hope she did, as you did such an excellent job of putting that video together. You should look into becomming a cps tech in a few years, I am sure it would be a breeze for you after reading up on seats :) Anyway, just wanted to say how impressed I was that you made the video and I know it has convinced many people to rearface their children once again. You made an impact and should be very proud of that. Jen

LuvBug

YEAAAA!!!!:D I did however ask her which seat she is using because most only rear-face to 33 pounds. But she can still rear-face at 33 POUNDS right? It's just 34 pounds she can't?
I saw no one replied to you about this on this thread so wanted to.
it is 33lbs on the dot including all regular clothing unless it is a seat that goes to 35lbs. you always measure and weigh as if they were actually in the seat in the car, that way you are on the dot for when they really are in the car.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I love the video but WHY OH WHY in the HECK did they have to incudle the DUMB clip of a child drinking from a bottle... arrrgggg I'm a huge child saftey seat avacate but much more of a breastfeeding advicate as well... i mean really what does a bottle have anything do with a baby... if you want what is best for you child not only do they need to be safe in a car seat but they as well need the HUGE benifts of Breastfeeding/breastmilk...

Not to start a debate over breast vs bottle at all. But, Please be sensitive to those that haven't been fortunite enough to be able to breast feed their children. To those that couldn't or choose not to breast feed they are still doing what is best for their child. The video isn't about what is healthest but what is safest for children.

How do we know this child wasn't adopted? Maybe this child is breastfeed and also bottle feed from time to time to give mom a break. Maybe this mother has other circumstances (maybe even health related) that prevented her from breast feeding all together. You don't know the circumstances behind the video so don't jump to conclusions.

I think it was a cute video and glad it is out there for those to see. Not one I am going to email all my friends. They have seen all possible crash test video out there and have me ranting in their ear (nice thing about me being a tech) all the time to make informed decisions.

Last edited:

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
What an awesome video! I posted it on my blog and on a couple private message boards that I frequent. I've had at least 4 or 5 people say that they turned their toddlers rear-facing again because of it! I did the same. Little Sister is 24 months and 31 pounds. I turned her forward a few months ago, but just turned her rear-facing again. 2 pounds to go in her RA!

honeybee03

First I just wanted to say I loved this video!
I actually saw it posted on another popular parenting message board before I saw it here!
Oh, and I love the music :eek:

But I just wanted to comment on the posts about the bottle. I agree that it is not right to judge people who bottle feed, because you don't know the circumstances etc. Or you never know, it could be a bottle of expressed breastmilk.
But I agree that the picture did bother me a little bit. Not because the baby is being bottlefed, but because I strongly disagree with bottle propping. And I'm going to hazard a guess that that's what bothered the other posters too (instead of the BF vs FF debate)???
Even if you bottlefeed (whether it be formula or EBM) you should always hold the child while you feed them, just like a BFing mother would. You are supposed to alternate sides (for their eye development, and also cognative development) and you are even supposed to lift up your shirt just a little bit so they get some skin to skin contact (which is extremely important to their development) and look into their eyes and talk to them. You are not supposed to prop it in their mouth with a towel, or even hold it for them while they are in a car seat. You aren't supposed to teach them to hold their bottle themselves either.
I know that to some people it sounds ridiculous, but it is extremely important for bottlefed babies to get the same kind of human connection during their feeding that a BF baby would get, for both their developemental and emotional needs.
It is also obvious that the baby is spending time in the car seat while not in the car. I know that we are all gung-ho about our car seats, but they are just that, for the CAR. The AAP recommends the only time that a baby is in their car seat is while they are in the vehicle (and possibly to transport to the next location, but then they should be removed from the seat and held). This is because too much car seat time contributes to positional plagiocephy, and also spinal problems. Not to mention that babies are supposed to be held, not carried around living in a bucket.
But I don't judge a mother when I see it, or look down on them, I just wish it were better known out there that you are always supposed to hold a baby when you feed them. :( and that more parents actually held their babies.

Anyways, I bookmarked that video, and I would love it if the next video was posted when its done! Awesome job again!

Simplysomething

And I'm going to hazard a guess that that's what bothered the other posters too (instead of the BF vs FF debate)???
Then perhaps THAT should have been stated, rather than the whole "why'd they include the pic with the bottle" as if a baby with a bottle was completely and totally alien and unfathomable. I'm just saying...

But whatever the case, I still think that the major drawback of the video is the music. But that's been addressed by it's author, so it's all good. Luckily, it's viewable without sound on, which is great for me.

honeybee03

Well, you could be right. I shouldn't really speak for anybody else :eek:

Either way, the video was about car seat safety, not child rearing practices, lol. So sorry to further add to the derailment :eek:

It was a great video, I actually kind of teared up watching it. The only thing that could have made it better was maybe further emphasis on the crash tests. Like show the forward facing again (they showed the RFing twice, but only the FFing once) or maybe some other tests of FFing crashes?

I look forward to the next one she said she was making though! I wish I were creative enough to produce something like that. :rolleyes:

KHudson

Dsunny1, Yes, Madison is still rearfacing. And Yes, I look forward to becoming a tech in a few years. Thank you. :)

It's amazing what people can find in pictures and make assumptions about.

honeybee03- I just wanted to say, her bottle isn't propped... I am extremely against this. It's funny that this was mentioned,though, I actually confronted someone in a mall about this not too long ago, only because she was walking in front of us, pushing a newborn around in the stroller and she had to keep stopping every time the bottle fell off his blanket onto the floor... So I asked her if it would be easier to take him out and actually feed him.
But anyway, she is nine months old in that picture. She was holding it herself only for carseat pictures so that I could get one of her not crying, Lol. I guess I shouldn't have been bribing her with a bottle, but I needed pictures, Lol. She doesn't hold her bottles in the middle, she holds it from the bottom. You can see her hand on it, I think. Also, after 8 months when she started drinking out of her sippy cup she did not like us holding it for her anymore. She has always gotten feedings in our laps,though, except for these pictures and in emergencies. She does not stay in her infant seat, it is left in the car. After about 3 months old, we never took it out because it got way too heavy anyway. We brought it inside specifically for pictures. I took pictures of her in it indoors every month since she was born as a way to see how much she'd grown. Just wanted to clarify this. :D

Thanks everyone. I am still working on the extended harnessing video. I think I might be making two of them... I am helping a Mom to make one dedicated to her little boy who was killed in a car accident and then another, more general one.:)

Simplysomething

Thanks everyone. I am still working on the extended harnessing video. I think I might be making two of them... I am helping a Mom to make one dedicated to her little boy who was killed in a car accident and then another, more general one.:)

Just please, please don't go the route that the drunk driving commercials go. Showing the kiddo all happy and whatever, then with the stark "this child died". When I first viewed the video, I was bracing myself for something like that, and was very grateful that it never happened.

Not that it wouldn't be effective (I think it would) just that I'd appreciate a warning. (so, if you could somehow indicate it at the beginning.)

Man, if any of you are grammar freaks? I totally apologize for my post. lol

KHudson

Just please, please don't go the route that the drunk driving commercials go. Showing the kiddo all happy and whatever, then with the stark "this child died". When I first viewed the video, I was bracing myself for something like that, and was very grateful that it never happened.

Not that it wouldn't be effective (I think it would) just that I'd appreciate a warning. (so, if you could somehow indicate it at the beginning.)

Many people from different boards have said that they thought the video wasn't going to have a happy ending, I guess I wasn't thinking about it when I made it.

Yeah, We're still trying to figure out how to do it. I'm not a big fan of scare tactics so hopefully I'll find a way where I don't have to resort to that. If I do though, I'll be sure to put a warning. :cool:

lovinwaves

That's so funny, because I was thinking the exact same thing! I just knew for sure at the end of the video it was going to say something like "Had Madison been rear-facing she might have survived the crash":(

I was so relieved at the end to find out she was still alive :)

It seemed though to keep me glued to the video until I found out for sure if she was still alive.;)

honeybee03

Dsunny1,

honeybee03- I just wanted to say, her bottle isn't propped... I am extremely against this. It's funny that this was mentioned,though, I actually confronted someone in a mall about this not too long ago, only because she was walking in front of us, pushing a newborn around in the stroller and she had to keep stopping every time the bottle fell off his blanket onto the floor... So I asked her if it would be easier to take him out and actually feed him.
But anyway, she is nine months old in that picture. She was holding it herself only for carseat pictures so that I could get one of her not crying, Lol. I guess I shouldn't have been bribing her with a bottle, but I needed pictures, Lol. She doesn't hold her bottles in the middle, she holds it from the bottom. You can see her hand on it, I think. Also, after 8 months when she started drinking out of her sippy cup she did not like us holding it for her anymore. She has always gotten feedings in our laps,though, except for these pictures and in emergencies. She does not stay in her infant seat, it is left in the car. After about 3 months old, we never took it out because it got way too heavy anyway. We brought it inside specifically for pictures. I took pictures of her in it indoors every month since she was born as a way to see how much she'd grown. Just wanted to clarify this. :D

Thanks for explaining that to me. Like I said before, whenever I see those things, I don't judge because I don't know the circumstances. I have often carried Ryleigh in her infant carrier because she *finally* fell asleep in the car and I didn't want to wake her. And I understand about using the bottle to take the pictures. I dispise binkies, but once on Easter, I had Ryleigh dressed up in a cute Easter outfit and wanted to take her picture. She was being really fussy and wouldn't stop crying for me to take her picture (she needed a nap) But I wanted to take her picture before I took her outfit off, so I resorted to sticking the dumb binkie in her mouth so I could get some pics. The only part that bothers me is that when I see it it videos and movies (and even IRL) because when people see that, it "normalizes" the practice, kwim? In our culture, it has come to the point where its as if babies 'belong' in the car seat, or that babies should be holding their own bottles (and that they 'belong' with bottles in the first place)
But like I said, I don't judge when I see it, I just hate seeing it as such a normal part of our culture. I breastfeed in public (discreetly, but still) and carry Ryleigh in my sling as much as possible, in hopes that those practices become more normalized in our culture.
Anyway, it sounds like you know a lot about those things already, and you will be a very good mom someday :)
Cheers,
Melissa

KHudson

Thanks for explaining that to me. Like I said before, whenever I see those things, I don't judge because I don't know the circumstances. I have often carried Ryleigh in her infant carrier because she *finally* fell asleep in the car and I didn't want to wake her. And I understand about using the bottle to take the pictures. I dispise binkies, but once on Easter, I had Ryleigh dressed up in a cute Easter outfit and wanted to take her picture. She was being really fussy and wouldn't stop crying for me to take her picture (she needed a nap) But I wanted to take her picture before I took her outfit off, so I resorted to sticking the dumb binkie in her mouth so I could get some pics. The only part that bothers me is that when I see it it videos and movies (and even IRL) because when people see that, it "normalizes" the practice, kwim? In our culture, it has come to the point where its as if babies 'belong' in the car seat, or that babies should be holding their own bottles (and that they 'belong' with bottles in the first place)
But like I said, I don't judge when I see it, I just hate seeing it as such a normal part of our culture. I breastfeed in public (discreetly, but still) and carry Ryleigh in my sling as much as possible, in hopes that those practices become more normalized in our culture.
Anyway, it sounds like you know a lot about those things already, and you will be a very good mom someday :)
Cheers,
Melissa

I understand what you mean about normalizing the practice. I recently went with my sister to buy things to make a big gift basket for someone's baby shower. She went over to pick out bottles but I advised her not to as I thought that might encourage her to bottlefeed instead. I probably wouldn't have included that picture if I had known so many people would view it. I thought only my niece's parents would be viewing it. :)

Drinking from a bottle doesn't really annoy me, but one thing I hate seeing are babies constantly holding and drinking from their bottles whenever they like, when they aren't even hungry. Even worse, bottles filled with juice. Madison always had scheduled feedings every 3-4 hours and when she was old enough only got/gets water in sippy cups outside of meals.
Lol, It's probably weird that I know so much about her but she's with me everyday while my sister is at work. I was homeschooled but now I am graduated but I don't go to college until next year so I take care of my niece and nephew during the day. :)

Kellyr2

I just also wanted to add my thanks. I think a lot of people are a lot more receptive to a video with the basic facts spelled out than they would be to reading long articles. Not to mention it gets tiring clicking on links to compare crash test videos. I love that you compiled ALL Of that important information and put it in one easy place. I think this is probably the most effective educational tool on the topic that i've ever seen.

KHudson

I just also wanted to add my thanks. I think a lot of people are a lot more receptive to a video with the basic facts spelled out than they would be to reading long articles. Not to mention it gets tiring clicking on links to compare crash test videos. I love that you compiled ALL Of that important information and put it in one easy place. I think this is probably the most effective educational tool on the topic that i've ever seen.

Thank You.:)

I am almost done with my extended harnessing video. I'm not making the one about the little boy who was lost in an accident anymore as his mother decided to make it herself, but I did make a more general one. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC