• My ride now, FF when it's outgrown RFing

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • My ride now, import when outgrown if there's nothing else US by then

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • clicky box

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters

zeo2ski

If money were no object (that'd be nice, huh?), would you import a seat to keep an almost 3 year old RFing OR "go against the manufacturers instructions" and use the My Ride with knees significantly bent? In other words, you'd be breaking the rules either way. And the My Ride would last less than a year, height wise.

ADS

twinsmom

Hi - I did a post like this awhile back(not a poll, though). If you search my posts you'll probably find it. It was in January or February of this year...there were a lot of responses.

I'm sure you can guess how I voted in your poll!

Come on...just go for it!;)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not import for a physically and developmentally typical 3yo. I would use a RF seat with the knees bent.

Mommy2Marcus

If I had the means to import, heck yeah I would! However I am one of the few that would be highly unlikely to need it. I could probably get the My Ride & use it for my son RF till he is like 5! He is 2 1/2 right now, weighs barely 30lbs dressed & has a very short torso. He still fits with lots of growing room RF in his current seats. However I just want one b/c they look cool!

However IF I had a bigger child that needed the imported seat. Yeah, I would do it in a heartbeat! So I say for your child to go for it.

zeo2ski

I should add that there is a good chance this child will not even fit in the My Ride currently, or if he does it's not likely that there will be more than one inch to grow. It'll depend on installation.

It's hard to include all these hypotheticals in a poll, but I'll tell you my line of thinking anyway. What I could hope for is that he does fit the My Ride (and hope he doesn't gain one lb in the next 6-8 weeks) and that he fits in it until someone else makes a 40+ lb RF seat with a taller shell...not good odds there unless someone were to test a current seat up to 40...again, not good odds.

But I'm also a chicken about importing...

I'll search for your thread, twinsmom, thanks.

mommaon112903

I would not for a child who is almost three or any age above that either. Unless there was a medical reason for the import, and hopefully a doc would sign off on that and jump thru loop-holes to get one legally here.

MoreLatte

If I had an extra $500 and the need/desire to keep a little one RF longer, yes, I would import. My DD hated RF, so once she hit the 33# limit on her MA, I turned her.

I really wouldn't be concerned about getting in trouble for having it, either. I just can't imagine that most law enforcement would even notice whether a seat is US approved or not. Maybe its just my area, but around here, I don't think anyone would notice. I'd be more concerned about insurance possibly not replacing it after a crash.

Andie

I voted clicky box.

I have small kids. CJ is 16 months, 19 ish lbs, and 30" tall. I'm guessing that he will make it to at least 3, if not longer, in the Uptown we currently have. I'll be happy with that.

If I had big kids, I would be tempted to import. Especially if my 16 month old was 30 lbs already.

zeo2ski

I checked out the other thread and it pretty much reinforced all the reasons I had decided not to import the last time I seriously considered it. Mainly, the fact that it's not tested here and we just plain don't know. It's just that every time I see pics of that gorgeous MT...:love: The legalities don't scare me, I'm convinced the issue would never come up, except we'll be foster parents soon and IF they did happen to know or care, it could be a problem.

So I really really hope he'll fit in the My Ride--I'm buying that even if he only fits for 2 months. Hmmm do I put bricks on his head to fit the MR or get a kiddy hamster wheel to keep the weight down:p 100% kidding.

Thanks for the input, that other post was really helpful twinsmom. Your pics were NOT!;)

ZephyrBlue

I would not use the My Ride (am not convinved that it's as safe as a seat w/rf tether for a larger child). I would import a seat for a child who is not yet 3 and has outgrown the Britax convertibles and Radian RF. Heck, I'm going to import one anyway, so my :twocents: might be skewed ;)

emandbri

I seriously did think about importing a seat, what stopped me was when it was pointed out that if I were to get into a crash my insurance would not pay to replace it. That would be A LOT of money to be out of if I were in a crash.

mommaon112903

This too-this is A LOT of money to be out. I also think about your health insurance and/or car insurance not wanting to cover medical bills if you were involved in a crash. Unless you have someone install it that is familiar with the EU seats how do you know it is "exactly" right? I am just a worry-wort though and think about the strangest of things sometimes.

I seriously did think about importing a seat, what stopped me was when it was pointed out that if I were to get into a crash my insurance would not pay to replace it. That would be A LOT of money to be out of if I were in a crash.

Karen

Clicky box. IF I had giant kids, yes. If I had typical kids that could make it to 3 RFing, no. DS still has about 6 months left RFing and he'll be 3 tomorrow. DD is a much bigger child. I will have to see what happens with her growth with time!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
It depends on the vehicle I had or it would be in.

Virtually no safety features? poor crash test ratings? Yeah, I'd import.

Top safety pick vehicle? Kid over 3? No, I probably wouldn't.

I'd love to import for ds to use in my moms car, but it's not something I can afford now.

WHO cares, really, if insurance doesn't replace? REALLY?? I'd choose an alive and not disabled child AND be out $500 ANY DAY over the alternative, but this is where it's a combination of factors too. A vehicle with high safety ratings isn't going to cause the same damage to a child as a vehicle with poor safety ratings.

My van has high safety ratings, I don't worry about my 4YO forward facing in it. My mom's car and my H's car - not as good safety ratings and I'd love him to RF outboard with dd center in both vehicles. I can't afford to import though, and I don't know if ds would fit in the My Ride, and even if he did, if he would growth spurt and outgrow it in 3 months...

twinsmom

This too-this is A LOT of money to be out. I also think about your health insurance and/or car insurance not wanting to cover medical bills if you were involved in a crash. Unless you have someone install it that is familiar with the EU seats how do you know it is "exactly" right? I am just a worry-wort though and think about the strangest of things sometimes.

I thought about the health insurance thing before buying also. But then I thought they don't deny coverage for a completey unrestrained child, or other instances of 'misuse', so I don't worry that they will in this instance.

emandbri

WHO cares, really, if insurance doesn't replace? REALLY?? I'd choose an alive and not disabled child AND be out $500 ANY DAY over the alternative....

I'm personally fine with paying for a new seat after an accident but when I told my husband that he freaked out. It also isn't as if Elizabeth is 13 months old and I have to turn her, even in the radian I bet she would make it to 3 1/2. I also felt that as a tech I should set a good example and use a US seat.

zeo2ski

Unless you have someone install it that is familiar with the EU seats how do you know it is "exactly" right? I am just a worry-wort though and think about the strangest of things sometimes.
This worries me a little, but not really. The manuals are in english and there are EU people online to walk you through questions. I do worry that it's an American vehicle with a EU seat.

It depends on the vehicle I had or it would be in.

Virtually no safety features? poor crash test ratings? Yeah, I'd import.

Top safety pick vehicle? Kid over 3? No, I probably wouldn't.
See this factors in for me too...1998 suburban. Front airbags only, SUV. I worry.

WHO cares, really, if insurance doesn't replace? REALLY?? I'd choose an alive and not disabled child AND be out $500 ANY DAY over the alternative,
THIS is exactly how I feel about it--the money is gone as soon as you purchase the seat, and really, reeaaally WHAT is the point of buying CRs? $500 is not that much to be out.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm with the others who said that they would not import a seat for a typically-developing three-year-old.

While I would love to keep kids RF until they are school-age, I feel comfortable turning a typical child at three. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC