Apex as a booster Q

NannyMom

DF1 ordered an Apex for her DN. So of course I had to play with it with my kiddos first :cool: I couldn't believe J still fit in the harness with almost the same amount of room as the GN! But A (who still fits in the GN) was over the top slots.

Anyway, my question is about it in booster mode. The belt fit them really well. But there is so much room in the seat. A put both her arms in under the lap belt and still had room :rolleyes: Does that concern anyone? COuld that be a safety issue at all?

ADS

mykidsmylife

I will ONLY use it as a booster in an emergency situation. Johnathon is tall and skinny and I DONT like how much room there is in it.
I dont think it is a safety issue like ejection but more so like not enough SIP.

It makes a great booster for a heftier kid though.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a skinny kid I'd be nervous about lateral movement, and if there's enough belt and space around them, then submarining (only if the belt is riding a bit high, though, otherwise it should be pretty good on that front).

There are several boosters I won't put Piper in because she has such narrow hips. The Apex is one, the Compass is another, the Airbooster is a third, the Frontier as a booster... For her seats like the Parkway and the Nautilus fit her very very well. Conversely there's a boy we know who was on steroids for a long time and at her same age he had gone up to over 80 pounds. For him I would shy away from the Nautilus and Parkway and recommend something like the Apex, the Frontier, the Airbooster, etc. Because he would fill them out much better.

Wendy

heyruthie

DF1 ordered an Apex for her DN. So of course I had to play with it with my kiddos first :cool: I couldn't believe J still fit in the harness with almost the same amount of room as the GN! But A (who still fits in the GN) was over the top slots.

Yes, I think people don't realize what an awesome HWH seat this is--for the price. It has really high top slots, at 1/2 or even 1/3 the price of the other HWHs. And some kids (like my DS1) were able to be harnessed LONGER in the Apex because he outgrew the shoulder and crotch area of the GN LONG before he got to the top slots of his Apex.

Anyway, my question is about it in booster mode. The belt fit them really well. But there is so much room in the seat. A put both her arms in under the lap belt and still had room :rolleyes: Does that concern anyone? COuld that be a safety issue at all?

The belt is low on my DS1's hips, and for that reason, we've been OK with using it as a booster for the past month or so, since he outgrew the harness. Plus, even with some lateral movement (DS1 is skinny) there is still a lot of SIP via the sides & wings of the seat, which have quite a bit of EPS in them. So, it's still WAY better than a lot of stuff out there as far as boosters go. But, for long-term, I plan to get him the Monterey (as soon as the $$$ is available!) because he does have a lot of lateral room in the hip area.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC