what are the ramifications of buying a swedish seat and using in the us?

lotsolove

can someone show actual laws regarding this issue? while its probably just a pipe dream, I would love to buy a britax mt. dh says that dd does NOT need to rf although she would love it. she has asked ever since she was turned ff at 33 lbs and 2.8 yrs to be turned back around. she now weighs 43 lbs and is almost 5 so a swedish seat would be our only option. also I cant understand why a seat would rf to 55 lbs but only ff harnessed to 40 lbs. btw I was going to get a regent but I guess I will have to wait until she completely outgrows her radian. she loves it:love:

lotsolove
mom to
bd L 4 ff radian
fd K 2 rf scenera
fd J 10 months ss1

ADS

heyruthie

my guess is that it would be on a state-by-state basis.

some states have CR laws that are a page long or more. my own home state of Virginia has 1 sentence. so...that would seem to make a big difference.

Maedze

At almost five even the Swedes would be moving her from said rearfacing seat to a belt positioning booster. The seat is usually outgrown by height before weight, as well.

As far as legal ramifications go....it might get stopped by customs because it's not a US seat, but that's a big 'might'.

If you live in a proper use state you might get a ticket for not having your child restrained properly, but again, it's a big 'might'.

NannyMom

The CPST-I I work with says she saw a cop confiscate one at a seat check. LOL, moral of that story to me was, don't take it to a seatcheck :whistle:

I believe all seats used in the US (by residents, not visitors) must pass the FMVSS laws. The Sweedish seats haven't been tested with them, so technically they haven't passed our crash tests. That is what I believe makes them illegal.

If I had a child under 2 years that was over our RF weight limits, I may consider importing. But it's an expensive seat, and insurance won't replace it if it's involved in a crash. IMO, most police officers on the road are just happy to see a child 'properly' restrained and may not know a legal seat from an illegal one. (disclaimer-yes, I know there are some very educated cops...but what percentage of those pulling you over are?)

lotsolove

I know she is booster age, I am just not ready:(. I dont think she would sit in a booster right for long trips yet. I guess she will stay in her radian till she outgrows it. since it can be used over the top straps I am not as worried about her fit. right now she is right in the middle between the top and 2nd harness level and the top of her head is level with the top of the seat. if she makes it to 5.5 or 6 I guess I could live with a booster.

lotsolove

twinsmom

...also I cant understand why a seat would rf to 55 lbs but only ff harnessed to 40 lbs.

The Swedes don't generally FF harness at all. They RF until 4-6, then FF in boosters (in general). There have been Swedish studies that show FF harnessing puts too much stress on the neck in a collision. That, of course, goes against a lot of what is believed here. I don't know what is true, I imagine there are pros and cons for each.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC